Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Grizzly Bandsaw - got an email this morning

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-E...18_g0555xh_top

$1,000 for their 'extreme series resaw' 14" G0555XH.

I've also looked at the Shop Fox brand - just looking to see what people think.
    Last edited by dazart; 08-06-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Grizzly Bandsaw - got an email this morning

If you got the money, go for it. As you know with the Shop Fox, you will have to buy the riser kit to get the same resaw capability. With either one, you will still need a mobility kit if you don't have a permanent spot already wired in your shop - so plan for that in your budget as well. The Grizzly Heavy Duty Mobile base is on sale as well with $10 off.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yeah - I was trying to compare the quality of the parts between this model and the Shop Fox one. I know they're 'made' by the same company, but I'm not too familiar with the different parts to look at. I see that the guide looks taller, and it says it has a larger motor than the standard, but that's compared to their other G0555 models.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by dazart View Post
    Yeah - I was trying to compare the quality of the parts between this model and the Shop Fox one. I know they're 'made' by the same company, but I'm not too familiar with the different parts to look at. I see that the guide looks taller, and it says it has a larger motor than the standard, but that's compared to their other G0555 models.
    The Shop Fox only has a 1-HP motor running at 1,725 RPM - So Grizzly wins that round with the 1-3/4 HP. The Quick Release Blade Tension on the Grizzly is also bright red - so it should stand out when you look at the saw from the front as to whether or not the blade is under tension. Both are 44-5/8" table height from the floor when you add the mobile base that is going to increase that height. You might want to measure the height of you work bench to see if that is high enough to give you some out-feed support.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a Delta 14" (similar to the Grizzly you referenced) and a Rikon 14". For resaw, I would highly recommend the Rikon over the Grizzly. Same price and shipping is included on the Rikon.
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Have you considered older/used? For 1k you can get a bigger saw that will resaw very well due to capacity and motor size.

7. The following user says Thank You to zdorsch for this useful post:

Co-director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dirk (63)
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Steve I have the same saw except its the G0555. Riser block with the 1hp motor. Thanks to recommondation by Bill it has a Woodslicer blade on it and I have never had a problem resawing with it. If I was going to spend a grand on a bandsw I would look for a used bigger one if you have the space.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    James Davis
    Visit Freq
    7.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I agree with Bill on the Rikon. I was visiting a member's shop recently and he was gushing about his Rikon. If you're patient, Rikon usually has a few 15% off sales a year. One big difference between the two: Rikon has a 5 year warranty, vs a 1 year warranty with Grizzly.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    https://www.facebook.com/knottyscot

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have the G0555 without the riser kit - great bandsaw. As to mobility, that base has holes to mount levelers or casters - I added a piece of 3/4" ply on the bottom of the base for rigidity and put in some good locking casters and voila, its mobile.
    I don't believe in Astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by zdorsch View Post
    Have you considered older/used? For 1k you can get a bigger saw that will resaw very well due to capacity and motor size.
    Yeah - I bought a used Grizzly but it was in parts and thought I could put it back together. I failed. Cost me about $250 after everything was said and done. My fault, but I think if I bought used again I'd want to see it work before I bought it.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yeah, machines in pieces can be frustrating to say the least (I've bought a few and am fairly mechanical, but sit behind a desk all day--so I lack some of the practical daily experience many of the folks in this hobby have).

There a few of the older Jet and Delta 20" band saws for sale in the CLT area on Facebook marketplace and craigslist. I think the quality of the older machines is a bit better than the newer machines and most of the older machines have replacement parts readily available.

You might also considering joining OWWM.org and viewing their classifieds for both restored and original versions (you have to be a member to view classifieds). The bonus with OWWM is it's a site of enthusiasts with a lot of experience with older machines. I bought several parts for my woodworking machines from folks on OWWM.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I would be more worried about missing pieces if I bought a machine in pieces than my lack of ability to put it back together. It is very easy for something to go wandering off when all the pieces are separated. Hardware is easily replaced but other parts are not.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Update - I bought the bandsaw I had to Leneave Woodworking Machinery & Supply to see if they would give me an estimate on what it would take to get it working, and if that was out of my range to fix what I could possibly get as a trade in to buy something else.

The good news is that he took a look at it and gave me a smaller blade (92 1/2) than the one the manual says it should use (93 1/2) and he said that it looks like it should work. $30 to look at it and pay for the blade.

I took it home and put it all together except for the top 2 guide blocks. The coolblocks I bought off of amazon aren't fitting so I need to sand them but it was pouring out and I couldn't use the sander.

I did turn it on after setting everything else up though and it spins! Hopefully tonight I'll get the coolblocks on and can test cutting a piece of wood on it.

On a side note, I now have 3 93 1/2 blades that are useless to me if anyone needs/wants them.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Made a test cut this evening - still have all 10 fingers. First time using a bandsaw. Pretty cool.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

So the next step is to make (or buy) zero clearance blade insert and make a fence and you are in business. Rockler has some zero clearance bandsaw inserts for $12 (http://www.rockler.com/zero-clearance-bandsaw-insert) - you will need to measure yours before ordering.