Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Locations) Ad #1

Special Events in the next 30 days

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    User dazart's Avatar
    Nickname
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    171
    Visit Freq
    2.38 visits/week
    Threads
    28
    Classifieds
    0

    Band saw repair?

    It's been a while since I've done anything woodworking related. I had left elbow surgery and haven't been in the mood to really do anything. I'm trying to force myself back into the garage hoping that once I get in there I'll get back to it.

    Right before the surgery I had bought a used Grizzly G1019 14" bandsaw. It had some missing parts and was a little worn, but the motor worked and for $150ish I figured it was worth the risk to try to put it back together.

    I ordered what I thought was the missing parts from Grizzly and then had surgery. Probaby another $100ish. I think that if I can get it working it'd still be better than buying a new G0555 for about $600-$900.

    I'm trying to put it back together but the top wheel is stuck on and I can't get it off, and since I have never used a bandsaw before let alone build one, I wouldn't mind having someone who has some experience and knows what they're doing.

    I was wondering if I could either bring it with me on the next Charlotte meetup to see if people could help piece it back together or if someone in the Huntersville area would be interested in helping out.

  2. #2
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Raymond's Avatar
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    1,921
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    62
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    Steve, I am committed for this coming Saturday (14 July) but the Saturday after (21 July) - I would be glad to come by and take a look at it. Let me know if that will work out for you as a first step (unless someone visits with you sooner)!

    Edit: If you don't have a manual, use the link below to download one.

    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1019_m.pdf
    Last edited by Raymond; 07-09-2018 at 05:08 PM.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

  3. #3
    User awldune's Avatar
    Nickname
    Sam
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    197
    Visit Freq
    6.00 visits/week
    Threads
    5
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    If you get the chance to take one, a photo of the upper wheel in its current state would be helpful

  4. #4
    User dazart's Avatar
    Nickname
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    171
    Visit Freq
    2.38 visits/week
    Threads
    28
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    Thanks! The 21st would be great. I have to work the Friday night (hopefully not past 1 or 2am), so I should be ok for Saturday if not a little groggy.

    I printed out the manual a while ago when I first got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Steve, I am committed for this coming Saturday (14 July) but the Saturday after (21 July) - I would be glad to come by and take a look at it. Let me know if that will work out for you as a first step (unless someone visits with you sooner)!

    Edit: If you don't have a manual, use the link below to download one.

    https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g1019_m.pdf

  5. #5
    User dazart's Avatar
    Nickname
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    171
    Visit Freq
    2.38 visits/week
    Threads
    28
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    I uploaded some images to my gallery. No doubt I did it upside down and sideways, but hopefully the point will get across...

    The tires on the wheels were all dried out so I ordered new ones from Grizzly and I think I got them on ok after soaking them in warm water for a little so they'd stretch.
    I also had to order the part on the back to hold the wheel but it was too tight to fit in the grooves so I had to sand them down some to fit. The tracking knob doesn't screw doesn't go all the way through either. Someone said I needed to run something through the hole to clean out the grooves? (I forget what they called it).

    Ordered 3 1/4" 6 tooth skip blades from www.woodcraftbands.com from a suggestion of a friend. Still waiting on those.












    Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    If you get the chance to take one, a photo of the upper wheel in its current state would be helpful

  6. #6
    User awldune's Avatar
    Nickname
    Sam
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    197
    Visit Freq
    6.00 visits/week
    Threads
    5
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    You said the upper wheel was stuck, are you sure you need to remove it? Can't tell from the photos whether there is anything left holding it on (other than lots of friction), but a large gear puller is probably the right tool for the job at this point.

    To clean out the tracking knob threads you could use a tap, but you need to be sure to identify the thread correctly. It is likely metric.

  7. #7
    User dazart's Avatar
    Nickname
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    171
    Visit Freq
    2.38 visits/week
    Threads
    28
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    Yeah - I guess that's a question. How important is it that I am able to remove the wheel? I guess as long as it spins ok and I can get the tracking knob working so it doesn't rub against the sides is it a big deal?


    Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    You said the upper wheel was stuck, are you sure you need to remove it? Can't tell from the photos whether there is anything left holding it on (other than lots of friction), but a large gear puller is probably the right tool for the job at this point.

    To clean out the tracking knob threads you could use a tap, but you need to be sure to identify the thread correctly. It is likely metric.

  8. The following user says Thank You to dazart for this useful post:


  9. #8
    Senior User
    DQ

    Nickname
    Roy
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    867
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    52
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    Steve, you took off the nut holding the wheel on and can't remove the wheel, right? Try putting some heat on the area with a light bulb for awhile, it may make the wheel opening expand a bit. I would be reluctant to use a gear puller since you could break the wheel.

    Roy G

  10. #9
    User dazart's Avatar
    Nickname
    Steve
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Huntersville, NC
    Posts
    171
    Visit Freq
    2.38 visits/week
    Threads
    28
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Band saw repair?

    I'll have to give that a try. First I need to find a light bulb that will get hot... most of what we have are LEDs now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy G View Post
    Steve, you took off the nut holding the wheel on and can't remove the wheel, right? Try putting some heat on the area with a light bulb for awhile, it may make the wheel opening expand a bit. I would be reluctant to use a gear puller since you could break the wheel.

    Roy G

Similar Threads

  1. Ridgid 14" Band saw repair
    By DaveT in forum Power Tools and Their Use
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-09-2016, 11:18 AM
  2. Furniture Repair
    By Robert166 in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2014, 01:03 AM
  3. Clock repair
    By ScottM in forum Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM
  4. MDF Repair
    By GoToLeep in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 01:37 PM
  5. Band Saw repair
    By CrealBilly in forum Power Tools and Their Use
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •