DQ
    Nickname
    DannyBoy
    Visit Freq
    1.84 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Recommendation for first handplane

I am a beginner and want to learn how to use handplane so i can true up some small pieces of wood and make some simple boxes. I have a small stanley block plane i bought at lowes a few years back. It seems to be of low quality as it always loosens up as i use it. I want to buy a larger handplane and from what i read a number 4 or 5 seems to bea good general purpose plane. I have ruled out buying an older one and refurbishing. My question to the group is for recommendation .... Brand, size, cost, source, for a good quality plane.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Recommendation for first handplane

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
    I have ruled out buying an older one and refurbishing.
    I gotta ask why? All (almost all) of the things that go into rehabbing a plane are skills you'll need to keep one in working order... even a $400 lie-nielsen.

3. The following user says Thank You to Chris C for this useful post:

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    DannyBoy
    Visit Freq
    1.84 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Because i dont know which ones are worth fixing up.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Because i dont know which ones are worth fixing up.
    That's a good reason... But a little research on Stanley planes should make the difference easier to understand. Run by New Bern Antique Mall and Poor Charlie's.... Both in New Bern. There is a booth in each that have a good selection of quality planes. A little pricey but not out of reason. I'd do my research before I pulled the trigger but that's a good way to look at and hold a decent example before you decide which way to go.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'll do you one better.... You get up to Pitt County and I'll give you a good starter Stanley #5. Tuned up and ready to use.

Only condition is that you use it and post pictures here.

7. The following 12 users say Thank You to Chris C :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Richard
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

There is some truth to what Chris is saying, that said, if your wanting to get started. I would start with a no5 with several blade and chip breaker set up to do several planing tasks. This size plane lends it self to handling rough planing, jointing, and finishing tasks because of its size. As you become more skilled you will want to expand to a jointer and a smoothing plane. Popular woodworking sales several books on the subject of hand planes. Lie Nelson, and Veritas both are great products not cheap but really good products.Myself, I work primarily with hand tools and 99% of my hand planes are older than you and I together and I wouldn't have it any other way. When I started I didn't know what was what either. Now unlike many folks I don't get caught up in the dogma of having a certain model or year of a plane, what I concern myself with is it something that will be a solid worker, how much time will it take to get it there, and dose it feel good in the hand. There is a lot to learn and a lot of rabbit holes out there so I'll wish you luck and feel free to ask more questions.
    Nothing beats a try but a failure, failure is an opportunity to learn.
    http://graywolfwoodworks.wordpress.com/

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

DannyBoy, As Richard and Chris mentioned, definitely start out with a “tuned” vintage Stanley #5. This is coming from someone who probably has a couple dozen modern (Veritas, LieNeilsen, and WoodRiver) planes.

I have three vintage Stanley No.5 Jacks and a couple Stanley No.26 transitional Jacks that I routinely use. Even with all my modern planes, I don’t own a single modern No.5 because my vintage ones are absolutely perfect for me.

As Richard said, you can get a single Jack and over time, add a blade or two and greatly increase the capability of the plane.

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    DannyBoy
    Visit Freq
    1.84 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    I'll do you one better.... You get up to Pitt County and I'll give you a good starter Stanley #5. Tuned up and ready to use.

Only condition is that you use it and post pictures here.
    That is a generous offer. I would like to take you up on it however i want to pay you for the tool. I will square up some resawed firewood and post some pics. I have signed up for basic wood working class in New Bern starting next weekend. Please message me to coordinate the tool purchase. Thanks.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

That is a generous offer. I would like to take you up on it however i want to pay you for the tool. I will square up some resawed firewood and post some pics. I have signed up for basic wood working class in New Bern starting next weekend. Please message me to coordinate the tool purchase. Thanks.
    I appreciate that but it's not necessary. I've been buying these planes recently for this very purpose.
    If you still feel the need then perhaps you'd like to make a small donation to NCWW instead. But my offer was genuine so don't feel obligated to pay.

20180707_205445.jpg

As you can see I have plenty.... and this isn't all.

I'd suggest looking at sharpening systems. It'll be razor sharp when you get it but won't stay that way long once you start using it.

12. The following user says Thank You to Chris C for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I use power tools mostly, but have a few hand planes as well (ya gotta learn how to sharpen your chisels and plane irons too).

A Stanley Bailey #4 from Rockler at $70 was my first. It's not too bad for general use and it took me awhile with plenty of trial and error how to tune it, adjust it, and use it. Then a big step up with a Veritas Low-angle Bevel Up Smoother at quite a bit more $$$. It's a sweetheart and holds its adjustments well.

http://www.rockler.com/stanley-baile...thing-plane-04

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Pag...30,41182,52515

Block planes. I have a Veritas low-angle that's easy to use, but Rockler has some decent Stanley block planes that won't break the bank and should perform pretty well.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=47881

http://www.rockler.com/search/go?p=Q...w=block+planes

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Here it is if you're interested....

20180708_122048.jpg

Stanley #5 type 19. The front knob is perfect and the horn of the tote has been repaired. I lapped the iron and sharpened it. It's ready to go. It is not and never will be a shelf queen but it's a darn good user and a good one to learn on.

15. The following 2 users say Thank You to Chris C :

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    DannyBoy
    Visit Freq
    1.84 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Chris, I would be happy to adopt the stanley #5 type 19 and will gladley make a donation to this ncww organization. Thats an impressive selection of handplanes you have. Im feeling inspiration to be a woodcrafter. Let me know where and when i can pick up this plane. Thanks.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dave (45)
    Visit Freq
    4.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jump on this, DannyBoy! A classic Stanley #5 and an excuse to eat Q at the Skylight Inn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    Here it is if you're interested....

Stanley #5 type 19. The front knob is perfect and the horn of the tote has been repaired. I lapped the iron and sharpened it. It's ready to go. It is not and never will be a shelf queen but it's a darn good user and a good one to learn on.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I also recommend a #5 vintage Stanley/Bailey for your first all around plane. A couple of extra irons (blades) and you can do quite a variety of tasks. That said, if you find a #6 in really good condition for a good price, don't discount it. It is a little heavier and the blade is wider, but the extra length makes it better for jointing board edges, etc, while it is still short enough to do the job of a jack plane.

For your block plane, the Stanley Bailey 6" block plane (runs about $35 new) has an adjustable mouth, and is a good solid little plane. Worst thing about them is when new out of the box, the blade (iron) has significant tool marks on the flat side which must be removed before you can get the keen edge needed for a block plane to work well (common problem with many new planes). Comes with a handy little canvas pouch that will keep it sharp when thrown in the tool drawer. I have several block planes, but this one ends up being the one that ends up in my hand on almost every project. The adjustable mouth lets you easily ease a sharp corner on a board, or open it up to pare dovetails or dowels down flush to the surface. Lowe's used to sell them, but I do not see them listed on their web site anymore. They are on Home Depot's site if you have one near you.

Go
    Practicing at practical woodworking

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    DannyBoy
    Visit Freq
    1.84 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelz View Post
    Jump on this, DannyBoy! A classic Stanley #5 and an excuse to eat Q at the Skylight Inn.
    Q and a #5 ...... A win win situation. Lol.