DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Oneida Dust Deputy

I have a 3 hp Oneida dust collector;it does a great job on my table saw and planer. However, it is a lot of overkill when using tools that produce less sawdust, like an orbital sander. I started using the vacuum from my Porter Cable drywall sander. It worked well but I was having to clean the filter more frequently than I would have liked. It isn't a difficult job, just messy. The Dust Deputy turned out to be a great solution when using the Porter Cable vac. Hardly any dust made its way to the vac. I was impressed. It is a lot easier and less messy to empty the Dust Deputy bucket than to empty the vac too.

The next test is to see how well it works with my 12" Dewalt miter saw. I don't know if the Dewalt vac has enough power to keep up with a miter saw or even if the dust collection design of the saw will catch as much dust as I would like. I was surprised to find out that the Dust Deputy, with my vac, does a very good job of catching drywall dust. I had always considered drywall dust to be the most obnoxious and most difficult material to trap on a job site.

It would be advantageous to make a cart so that I could move the Dust Deputy and the vac around the shop. I don't see any way to mount the Dust Deputy on top of the Porter Cable vac.

Pete
    Pete - KD4CQZ

2. The following user says Thank You to petebucy4638 for this useful post:

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Oneida Dust Deputy

Pete, I’m also very satisfied with the performance of my Dust Deputy. The only real downside (which hasn’t been a serious issue so far) is the tall and awkward layout.

I’ve given some consideration to the new Ridgid cyclone at HD. I think it’s less awkward in that it’s lower. I don’t know about it’s performance compared to a DD, but I did follow it’s development and the inventor tried to tweak the design to make it perform well.

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm in Home Depot frequently and I had never seen their dust separator. It certainly received some very good reviews.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dustoppe...3A%7B553653%7D

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    Pete, I’m also very satisfied with the performance of my Dust Deputy. The only real downside (which hasn’t been a serious issue so far) is the tall and awkward layout.

I’ve given some consideration to the new Ridgid cyclone at HD. I think it’s less awkward in that it’s lower. I don’t know about it’s performance compared to a DD, but I did follow it’s development and the inventor tried to tweak the design to make it perform well.
    Pete - KD4CQZ

5. The following user says Thank You to petebucy4638 for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    5.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Pete, Iím also very satisfied with the performance of my Dust Deputy. The only real downside (which hasnít been a serious issue so far) is the tall and awkward layout.

Iíve given some consideration to the new Ridgid cyclone at HD. I think itís less awkward in that itís lower. I donít know about itís performance compared to a DD, but I did follow itís development and the inventor tried to tweak the design to make it perform well.
    Do you have a link to the Ridgid cyclone?
    I looked on the HD website and searched for "
    Ridgid cyclone" but found nothing???
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if itís a spell plucked from a sorcererís hand Ė Paul Sellers

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think it’s called the Dustopper.

Try the link in Pete’s last post.

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    5.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think itís called the Dustopper.

Try the link in Peteís last post.
    Thanks, that worked - guess I was "sleep posting?!"
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if itís a spell plucked from a sorcererís hand Ė Paul Sellers

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark (63)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a Dust Deputy on the vac in my garage. Works great.

In the shop I have the Clearvue CV06. It is not as tall as the Dust Deputy so it fits under my storage bench. Clearvue has some on clearance right now for a good price.
    http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/15-clearance
    ďI know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.Ē

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Clay
    Visit Freq
    6.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

"It would be advantageous to make a cart so that I could move the Dust Deputy and the vac around the shop."

I have the Dust Deputy and it works quite well. Itís the only thing I have right now, so I use it on everything, including the table and miter saws. Iím still hemming and hawing on where I want to go for a permanent DC solution, so this one will have to do for now. The shop-vac cart in Issue 109 of ShopNotes makes moving the whole setup around the shop pretty easy. If I had to to it all over again, I would put swivel castes on all four corner though. Hereís a pic.

Attached Images Attached Images

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10d3FmhosnQ

decent video comparing the two. I've got a Dust Deputy sitting in box, it's too tall for my space, so I like the idea of the dustopper being short.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The duststopper seems to be a thien baffle. They catch chips well but do not do so well with fine dust. I use a dust deputy and have it on a cart that almost never moves with the cyclone above the vacuum. I have a spot between the CMS/RAS and router table along the long wall of my shop where it sits. The cyclone is far enough back it does not interfere with the fence of the CMS/RAS. The shop vac and DD are connected by 2 inch schedule 40 drain pipe, modified as necessary with a heat gun. Works well. I use a Bosch 5M hose for the smaller tools and a 20 foot 2.5 inch hose I got at Home Depot for the table saw and to sweep the floor.

The biggest advantage of the DD is it gets fine dust well. I have used mine with a Festool hand sander to sand drywall mud. I can fill the bucket under the DD several times before needing to clean the filter on the shop vac. I use a Rigid shop vac with a big motor and a small dust capacity. Ideal for this application. Here is a link to a similar model: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-4...FZMONwod6bcIKQ. I think mine is 12A and came with a car care kit.

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have the version of the Dust Deputy designed for Festool Vacs - it latches onto the top of the Vac and isn't in the way much - can still roll the vac around on its wheels.

It has made it so that I rarely need to empty the bag in the vac. In fact I haven't emptied it since getting the DD over a year ago.

https://www.toolnut.com/oneida-axd00...RoC2zwQAvD_BwE
    I don't believe in Astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    5.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by KenOfCary View Post
    I have the version of the Dust Deputy designed for Festool Vacs - it latches onto the top of the Vac and isn't in the way much - can still roll the vac around on its wheels.

It has made it so that I rarely need to empty the bag in the vac. In fact I haven't emptied it since getting the DD over a year ago.

https://www.toolnut.com/oneida-axd00...RoC2zwQAvD_BwE
    That is well spent money - probably paid for itself in "normal" bag costs!

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jim, I bought the exact same Ridgid vacuum based on it’s big motor and small tank with the specific intention of connecting it to a Dust Deputy and making a portable rig.

I haven’t quite gotten it together yet. I’m not satisfied with the gasket between the cyclone and bucket lid. This isn’t a deluxe DD, it’s the cyclone only model.

I’m really satisfied with the Dust Deputy kit that came with buckets and hose but I have that connected to a 16-gallon vac with a 20’ long Ridgid hose. It’s basically a stationary setup.
    Last edited by TENdriver; 07-09-2018 at 12:48 PM.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Tendriver,

I found it necessary to put a disk of 3/4 plywood on the underside of my bucket lid. That gave me something to screw the cyclone into and it keeps the lid flat. I also caulked the cyclone to lid joint. I also got the cyclone only.

I also put this switch on mine: http://www.rockler.com/i-socket-110m...SABEgLwS_D_BwE. On the inlet I put a power strip so I can have multiple tools plugged in at the same time. I use tools up to and including my 15A table saw on this on one 20A circuit and it has never tripped. With the vac, that is at least 25A according to ratings but the breaker does not trip.

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

This is the way Oneida attaches the Dust Deputy cyclone with the full kit.

I like the way it was done on the kit, I probably could contact Oneida.