Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Locations) Ad #1

Special Events in the next 30 days

View Poll Results: Should we allow non NCWW members to buy raffle tickets?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • NCWW Members Only

43 42.57%
  • Let Everyone Buy Tickets

58 57.43%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Future NCWW Raffle Eligibility

Over the past few years the NCWW membership has demonstrated a tremendous amount of financial support through raffle tickets. The vast majority of tickets are purchased within NCWW, but some prizes do make their way outside of the NCWW community. Should we limit tickets to NCWW members for future raffles? Cast your anonymous vote on the subject.
    Last edited by Jeremy Scuteri; 06-26-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Gonzalo
    Visit Freq
    2.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Future NCWW Raffle Eligibility

Jeremy, are you able to track how many tickets were sold to NCWW members vs. others? That may be helpful to know.
    Gonzalo

3. The following 3 users say Thank You to gfernandez :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I agree with Gonzalo, if the additional revenue is significant I see no reason to change. On another note, several years we've had additional prizes that were added at the picnic and were raffled off. That provides no incentive to those not present who bought tickets and didn't attend. I would suggest that any last minute prizes only be raffled as door prizes, and maybe hold one or two "major" prizes to advertise as additional door prizes to boost attendance. Again, thanks for your efforts Jeremy!

5. The following 4 users say Thank You to JohnnyR :

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Couldn't someone just join the forum and become a member to purchase tickets if this was made a rule? Would you set a 'term limit' that one must be a member before they could purchase tickets? Just thinking out loud here. Tickets are available for purchase way in advance, so even if a time period was set that one had to be a member prior to ticket purchase eligibility, they potentially could still purchase tickets.

I see both sides though. Revenue for the site vs. opportunities for the 'active members'. I really don't have a strong opinion either way, but think that revenue would probably win out since it is a fund raiser for the site.

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by gfernandez View Post
    Jeremy, are you able to track how many tickets were sold to NCWW members vs. others? That may be helpful to know.
    Not easily. The vast majority are purchased by NCWW members. Maybe 1%-2% are purchased outside of NCWW.

8. The following user says Thank You to Jeremy Scuteri for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think part of the reason for this is complaints from members that the last two years the biggest prize was won by non-members who were from other regions of the Country. Not even eligible to join...

Also I believe the number of non-member tickets sold was less than 3%.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

10. The following 10 users say Thank You to Mike Davis :

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DSWalker View Post
    Couldn't someone just join the forum and become a member to purchase tickets if this was made a rule? Would you set a 'term limit' that one must be a member before they could purchase tickets?
    Yes they could. Minimal (automatic) barriers would be put in place and I would not spend any effort at all to make sure people didn't find loop holes. The time/value proposition just isn't there to do any more than that.

We also would not promote the raffle outside of the NCWW site.
    Last edited by Jeremy Scuteri; 06-27-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    NCGrimbo
    Visit Freq
    4.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I think part of the reason for this is complaints from members that the last two years the biggest prize was won by non-members who were from other regions of the Country. Not even eligible to join...
    Sounds like sour grapes to me. These people would probably complain that they didn't win the big prizes even if we excluded the non-members.

13. The following user says Thank You to NCGrimbo for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Christopher
    Visit Freq
    5.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

What is the purpose of the raffle? To raise money for NCWW to use to fulfill its mission or to distribute donated prizes to members once a year? You might want to consider how the prize donors will perceive this restrictive policy (if it is enacted) and what affect it might have on their willingness to donate. It suggests that NCWW members are more concerned about keeping donated prizes within "their own" than they are about raising money to support their cause. Personally, I don't like this policy and am surprised it is even under consideration. I will stop just short of saying it is offensive but there is something not quite right about a public charity being willing to accept donations (including raffle prizes) from anyone (member or non-member) but limiting who can receive the donated prizes to members only. It just seems very petty for someone to take issue with who won the biggest/largest/most valuable donated prize instead of focusing on the overall success of the fundraiser.

If a member has an issue with non-members winning prizes, perhaps the member should purchase more tickets so he/she can increase his/her chance of winning the biggest prize.

15. The following 5 users say Thank You to woodworker2000 :

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

That could go both ways, on the one hand I agree it should be open to everyone, but membership is restricted. Should we open membership worldwide?

On the other hand it is a member supported organization, members contribute all of the site content yet it is open for anyone to read.

Pros and cons on both sides. That is why we decided to put it up for a vote. And as you can see the members, so far, are equally divided.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

17. The following user says Thank You to Mike Davis for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Richard
    Visit Freq
    4.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think the above comments about the donors' perspective are important. If the prizes are for members only, the whole operation looks more like a way to funnel prizes to members, rather than a fundraiser for the group. Also, it will potentially limit the exposure that each donor gets for their products. This could make big donors less willing to give, and we could be cutting our nose to spite our face.

I say that if the money's green, it's good.

19. The following user says Thank You to marinosr for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I buy a large amount of tickets each year because I know it's money to support the NCWW mission and website, but I also hope to win something, if I can, and I have been most fortunate. If someone who is not a member wins something I am not against it for it is that much more money for the funding of what we do, namely the teaching and advancement of woodworking. The amount of money brought in by sales to non-members is insignificant, I'm sure. And the fact that to buy tickets, it must be done online through the website means that those non-member tickets will belong to someone who frequents the site, lurkers, who enjoy the content but are too shy to become a member. I vote to leave it as it is.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

21. The following 3 users say Thank You to sawman101 :

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Like most things there are many different perspectives, hence the motivation to poll the membership. The poll will remain in place until it expires, it was set for 7 days. The question is still being posed and the response of the membership will play a huge role in future policy. This is your woodworking club after all.

The goal of the raffle is to raise the most money possible for NCWW. Plain and simple.

The assumption that opening the raffle to everyone is the best way to achieve that goal is not automatically correct. Three years ago, I would have fought very hard to ensure that we could sell tickets to everyone that is willing to give us $5 for a ticket since it would have seemed like the obvious way to sell the most tickets. After doing this for three years, I don't believe it is that simple. Predicting human behavior rarely is.

Three years ago we had a vision of us selling raffle tickets to a lot of people outside of NCWW to boost our sales and help finance NCWW. Despite our efforts, that has not been the case. Very few sales come from outside of NCWW. That is a testament to the fantastic support that you guys provide. Thank you to everyone who bought tickets. Given that virtually all the sales come from within NCWW, keeping the NCWW members happy seems like it should be a priority if we want the raffle to continue being successful. Unhappy members may be less likely to buy a few extra tickets to support the site.

Furthermore this year had an interesting interaction with a person from Texas who won a prize. The rules clearly state that the winners are responsible for local pickup or shipping costs. This guy was incredibly angry and felt we had taken advantage of him. The prize wasn't very big and I just shipped it to him on my own dime to avoid all the drama. Part of me was tempted to say "Hey jerk, why don't you read the rules?", but I thought better of it and I held my tongue (I know, it is rare ). If it was a bigger, harder to ship item, I am not sure what we would have done.

Even with sales limited to our membership, that is still a very large audience. I don't foresee issues with vendors and we will make it clear to them where and how the raffle will be promoted.

Definitely share any thoughts you have, but also be sure to vote as that will be the gauge that is used to influence policy in the end.

23. The following 5 users say Thank You to Jeremy Scuteri :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Charlie (73)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

How much revenue did NCWW earn from the raffle? Total $ in ticket sales minus the club's cost for prizes.

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Visit Freq
    6.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    How much revenue did NCWW earn from the raffle? Total $ in ticket sales minus the club's cost for prizes.
    2016: $9,335 in sales - $1,700 spent = $7,635
    2017: $11,000 in sales - $2,000 spent = $9,000
    2018: $13,720 in sales - $2,200 spent = $11,520

26. The following 16 users say Thank You to Jeremy Scuteri :