DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

President's message

In the beginning I did not want this job two years ago, I have a full time job, too much to do, and my health is not that great. But no one else would run so I took it. Like many things once you get aclimated, tuned in, and used to doing something it turns out to be not so bad as you thought it would be. I have learned a lot in the last two years and we are working on some exciting and valuable programs. I would like to personally thank everyone who voted me back into the Board this year. Your confidence and friendship mean a lot to me.

We just finished the annual picnic and Board of Directors election and I must say without several experienced people helping it would have been a disaster. There needs to be written and easily accessible directions and a time table for future Boards to follow and we are working on that. We hope to have complete instructions, sources, time tables, and officer responsibilities for the picnic written by this Fall. (Note: this whole paragraph is about the picnic/election process, nothing else)

Our workshops continue to be popular events and I would like to thank Bill Clemmons, Phil S, danmart77, Berta, Graywolf, Charlie, LB75, and I’m sorry if I left anyone out. This is also a nice addition to our budget each year. I was hoping it would replace the Fall fund drive but it seems we may be obligated to hold at least one small fund drive periodically, we are checking on that and will let you know as soon as possible. Regardless we want to expand on the workshop program and offer classes in other parts of the State. This will require finding shop space and instructors in those areas. If you are West of Asheville or near the coast and would like to host or instruct please let us know.

The Outreach program remains strong and we had great volunteer turn out this year. Volunteers now receive a NCWW logo hat the first full day of helping with Outreach and after three full days they receive a nice embroidered shirt. We are thinking about other incentives and still believe the biggest reward is the children’s happy faces as they make their first wood working project. Again if you would like to volunteer please let us know.

There were no shop crawls this past year, but I see they are putting one together for Charlotte. We would also like to get going with some great shop crawls in other areas so please help if you can. Everybody likes to see other shops and get ideas for improving their own workspace.

This years raffle was the greatest ever and we are in a great financial position. I want to especially thank Jeremy Scuteri for soliciting and managing the prize donations, he brought in some great prizes. Also would like to thank Phil S for setting up the e-mail list of possible donors for prizes.

As part of our non-profit status we are an educational organization and in that service we are forming a committee to study and make plans for helping our members learn to market their wood working and to help us as an organization to market our web site better to our advertisers. Marketing and selling are not the same thing, many don't understand this and knowing the difference can make an impact on the bottom line. There will be plenty of chatter about this in the coming months.

One of our greatest contributors has always been and continues to be Klingspor, it was great to have Coleman and his family at the picnic this year. We are working on plans for the Extravaganza which is always tons of fun and a great time to be together. If you can attend please do come in the booth and introduce yourself. We always enjoy meeting and talking with all the members. There is also a Klingspor/NCWW project in the works that will be announced shortly, I hope you will like it and will participate.

This is your group, your friends, your web site, and your opportunity to make, grow, learn, and explore wood working. Make the most of it. We are always open to suggestions and willing to work for you as long as you are willing to work for others. Many here believe in “pay it forward”, that has been demonstrated so many times by just about every single person that frequents this web site and this community.

Thanks to all of you,

Mike Davis
    Last edited by Mike Davis; 06-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: President's message

We are honored now, and have been in the past with great leadership. Mike, you are doing a super job as president, and your imagination and drive have created many new things in NCWW. Thank you for your ongoing leadership!
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

3. The following user says Thank You to sawman101 for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve (52)
    Visit Freq
    5.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Mike for your leading role for our group. As a new member, I'm still learning all of the great aspects of our group. I will be definitely taking part in the outreach opportunities. The recent one in Holly Springs amazed me in how personally rewarding it was. I will definitely look to become more involved over time to help further out great organization and our great sponsors like Coleman/Klingspor.
    - Not living life till you're part of the Food Chain

5. The following user says Thank You to Bear Republic for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    This is your group, your friends, your web site, and your opportunity to make, grow, learn, and explore wood working. Make the most of it. We are always open to suggestions and willing to work for you as long as you are willing to work for others.
    First,
    Thank you Mike for leading our group, but I wanted to highlight and ask everyone to re-read this piece of your closing of your President's message - a GREAT statement, obviously from the heart and THE definitive call to action for this group!
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if itís a spell plucked from a sorcererís hand Ė Paul Sellers

7. The following user says Thank You to Hmerkle for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Stuart
    Visit Freq
    4.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

keep up the good work Mike, we are all better for the time and energy you put into this for us! Thank you.
    Stuart Kent
    Founding Director of the North Carolina Furniture School
    Robust, Rikon, Oneida, Harvey, & Easy Wood Tools Dealer
    503 Second St, Ayden, NC 28513
    252-916-8226
    http://ncfurnitureschool.com/
    https://twitter.com/@tweetncfs
    https://www.facebook.com/northcarolinafurnitureschool

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Mike thank you and all the current and past board members.
    Maker of fine saw dust
    Scott

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
    - Lou Holtz-

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks, Mike!!

Have been blessed joining this group!

Always pay it forward every chance you have.