West Penn Hardwoods (Ad 1)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior User
    DQ
    tdukes's Avatar
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    485
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    89
    Classifieds
    0

    Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Bought 4 of the Bessey 18" Jr clamps. I am thoroughly disappointed in them. I have a small fortune invested in the 'standard' Bessey parallel clamps. The Jr's are not up to those standards.

    They are lacking the rubber pads and will twist upon tightening. I tried using them on the raised panel doors for a wall cabinet and had to remove them and go with some standard 24".

    They are about the same price as the standard ones and saving a couple dollars isn't worth the investment. Thank goodness HD has a 90 day return policy. They will be going back tomorrow.

    Usually, I'd just suck it up to a bad decision and keep them but they are that bad.

  2. The following 6 users say Thank You to tdukes :


  3. #2
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    7,167
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    617
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Is this the Bessey K Body Revo Jr clamp you bought at HD?

    https://www.besseytools.com/pdfs/sal...REVOJR_Eng.pdf

    It doesn't look much different than the standard K Body Revo clamps.

    https://www.besseytools.com/pdfs/sal...dyREVO_Eng.pdf

    Curious. I wonder why your clamps are such lemons in your hands.

  4. #3
    User TENdriver's Avatar
    Nickname
    TENdriver
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wdbg, VA
    Posts
    656
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Jeff, itís been a few years since I chose the K-body design over the Jr, but it was more overall functionality and utility versus the Jr being a lemon. The price points are close, so for me, it just seemed to be a ďno brainerĒ to go for the K-body line.

    Iíve had no issues with the K-body clamps.



    On another tack, a couple years ago I bought (at my local HD) two dozen of the Bessey ďFĒ clamps and treated them horrendous. I expected them to fail, break or at least end up permanently maimed! Didnít happen. Even the plastic pads are still in good shape.

    HD had a four pack of those F-clamps on sale the other day. It was a really good price. Close to Harbor Freight level prices.

  5. #4
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    7,167
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    617
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    I have quite a few of the Bessey K-body Revo clamps and I've had no issues with them either.

    The OP said this...

    Bought 4 of the Bessey 18" Jr clamps. I am thoroughly disappointed in them. I have a small fortune invested in the 'standard' Bessey parallel clamps. The Jr's are not up to those standards.

  6. #5
    User TENdriver's Avatar
    Nickname
    TENdriver
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wdbg, VA
    Posts
    656
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    22
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Jeff,

    I’m probably a bad person to ask. I’m from the “you can never have too many clamps“ school!

    ...and yes, I actually did (and still do) things like this. Quality clamps sure make things go smoother and easier.

    Attached Images Attached Images

  7. #6
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    peteb301's Avatar
    Nickname
    Pete
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    378
    Visit Freq
    5.23 visits/week
    Threads
    39
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Me thinks there is some possible confusion here. I visited HD today and the $14 deal for 4 Bessey clamps are Not the Revo clamps.
    They are cheap can't say (knockoffs) as they do have a Bessey name on them .
    Actually very surprised to see the Bessey name on the BESSEY Clutch Clamp Set (4-Piece. No I didn't purchase them as per the original comments.
    Buy your BEST tool First !

  8. #7
    Senior User
    DQ
    tdukes's Avatar
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    485
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    89
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Quote Originally Posted by peteb301 View Post
    Me thinks there is some possible confusion here. I visited HD today and the $14 deal for 4 Bessey clamps are Not the Revo clamps.
    They are cheap can't say (knockoffs) as they do have a Bessey name on them .
    Actually very surprised to see the Bessey name on the BESSEY Clutch Clamp Set (4-Piece. No I didn't purchase them as per the original comments.
    No, those are not the K-Body parallel clamps. Good clamps, have 8 of those.

  9. #8
    Senior User
    DQ
    tdukes's Avatar
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    485
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    89
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Is this the Bessey K Body Revo Jr clamp you bought at HD?

    https://www.besseytools.com/pdfs/sal...REVOJR_Eng.pdf

    It doesn't look much different than the standard K Body Revo clamps.

    https://www.besseytools.com/pdfs/sal...dyREVO_Eng.pdf

    Curious. I wonder why your clamps are such lemons in your hands.
    The jaws on the Jr are slick plastic and I have forearms like Popeye when he eats a can of spinach.

  10. #9
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    7,167
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    617
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Quote Originally Posted by tdukes View Post
    The jaws on the Jr are slick plastic and I have forearms like Popeye when he eats a can of spinach.
    The jaws on my standard K-body Revos are also plastic but I wouldn't call them "slick" to the touch. They look like those in the pictures that I posted above. Maybe you're over clamping the living heck out of them with your adrenaline surge?

  11. #10
    Senior User
    DQ

    Nickname
    HenryW
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,290
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    258
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    On another tack, a couple years ago I bought (at my local HD) two dozen of the Bessey ďFĒ clamps and treated them horrendous. I expected them to fail, break or at least end up permanently maimed! Didnít happen. Even the plastic pads are still in good shape.

    HD had a four pack of those F-clamps on sale the other day. It was a really good price. Close to Harbor Freight level prices.
    Agreed - I picked up that 4 pack at HD either in the Black Friday or Christmas time 2015 or 16 I think- have appreciated those. Saw that same deal this week at HD and wondered - do I have enough clamps? Of course I don't but the ones I need more are the 30-50" versions that don't get bundled in great deals like this one.
    Henry W
    Prolific creator of sawdust, and sometimes shavings - with the occasional completed project.

  12. #11
    Senior User
    DQ
    tdukes's Avatar
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    485
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    89
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Bessey Revo Jr Parallel Clamps

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    The jaws on my standard K-body Revos are also plastic but I wouldn't call them "slick" to the touch. They look like those in the pictures that I posted above. Maybe you're over clamping the living heck out of them with your adrenaline surge?
    The plastic jaws on the Jr's seem to be similar to the plastic protectors on the Bessey F-Style clamps. The pads on the K-Body seem to be somewhat softer. Only tightened them up enough to bring the joints flush and some glue squeeze out. I sanded the tongues and grooves lightly before glue up. Shouldn't need clamps with 1700 pounds clamping pressure to glue up raised panel doors. The regular K-Body clamps pulled them together without teeth-gritting force, maybe a quarter turn or so.

    I tried them, didn't like them. Your mileage may vary.

Similar Threads

  1. Parallel Clamps
    By woodlaker2 in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-23-2016, 03:59 PM
  2. Jet parallel clamps,
    By rcplaneguy in forum Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 10:54 PM
  3. Parallel clamps
    By Bigdog72 in forum Hand Tools and their Use
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2010, 06:29 PM
  4. K-Body Revo Clamps
    By welldigger in forum Hand Tools and their Use
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-29-2009, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •