Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: I've never had any training in wood work.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    For me Mike, woodworking has always been a solitary hobby, my time to get away and create. I have been doing it for about 30 years and I too am self taught. Sure, I butchered alot of lumber in the process, but even seasoned pros do that. I enjoyed the self taught part of it, reading an article in fine woodworking and then going and trying some techniques with new tools hopefully. I wouldnt exactly cut youtube out of the picture either as a resource, there is TONS of great info there, you just need to know whats good and what isnt. As for this site, the problem I see with it is someone asks a question and suddenly they get bombarded with 12 different techinques or processes and suddenly their thread becomes an argument between seasoned woodworkers on why theirs is better. Who wants to wade through that?. Much less take a class put on by said group of experts. Just my opinion for what its worth.
    and yet, you invited smallboat and me to your shop to demonstrate bowl turning for him. An act of teach-ery. Perhaps a desire to share knowledge and have company in the shop.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    and yet, you invited smallboat and me to your shop to demonstrate bowl turning for him. An act of teach-ery. Perhaps a desire to share knowledge and have company in the shop.

Yes I did Mike! and I actually enjoyed it!. But Im not really a good teacher...

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I beg to differ!. Those couple of hours in your shop taught me more than endless hours of muddling about.
    A long time turner friend had given me some books but they didn't make sense until I got it straight from the source.

For what it's worth in my own modest way I pass on these insights almost daily in my teaching job.

For those who lament that wood working and crafts in general are losing out to the digital world- fear not!
    My classes include both (digital and analog) and given a choice many of the students I've had the last few years have chosen hands on woodworking over computer aided methods.
    I have one student in 8th grade this year who is an outstanding turner. Her second ever bowl would stand its own next to any of mine. Currently she's working on a live edge cherry bowl. I've run an afterschool program in wood turning for the last three years. 4th and 5 graders. The only limit is the number of lathes I have.

Inspired by Paul Sellars, I've had students in the same age range carving spoons.

Its hard to beat the real time feedback to the choices you make and the direct connection to a tangible result.

So you never know what down stream effects your simple sharing can foster. The same can be said for Mike's sharpening tips and endless info on finishes and finishing I pick up in the forums. I could list more but you get the idea.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Yes I did Mike! and I actually enjoyed it!. But Im not really a good teacher...
    That’s what I’m talking about, it was a fun night. I know he learned a lot because he was showing me later what he had done at home.

I enjoyed watching you show him how to make the bowl and I could see you were having a good time. I think you are a great teacher you just need to get more comfortable with it and the way to do that is by doing more of it.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Pete (66)
    Visit Freq
    3.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Interesting thread...

A few points... The under 40 demographic is fairly sparsely populated with folks interested in learning woodworking and those who are are working hard raising families. That probably cuts the number interested in classes pretty low. Then the remaining ones may get a lot of what they need from youtube videos.

I know some 30 somethings that have done some impressive things (not necessarily woodworking) by researching youtube stuff.

I learned to build and repair all manner of stuff as a kid because we were basically slave labor. We had limited tools and never hired a contractor to do anything. We fixed things that were not meant to be serviceable and built or improvised tools we couldn't afford or were just too frugal to buy. That has served me well and helped me develop a resourcefulness that gets things done with or without the right tools. I don't think all that many had that experience then and even fewer do now, so they rely on youtube if they do anything mechanical at all.

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    1.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by danmart77 View Post
    Mike I got to the picnic a little late and the meal and the prize auction took up most of the second half of the day. Not much time to talk with all the folks you'd like to meet in person - but that was my fault looking back. As I moved around the crowd I searched for names and "call signs" that would put a face on the names I see here on the forum. That was a task.
    Dan - I was hoping to meet you at the picnic as I've read many of your posts on the forum. Didn't realize you were there yesterday. Perhaps we saw each other in passing.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by smallboat View Post
    I beg to differ!. Those couple of hours in your shop taught me more than endless hours of muddling about.
    A long time turner friend had given me some books but they didn't make sense until I got it straight from the source.

For what it's worth in my own modest way I pass on these insights almost daily in my teaching job.

For those who lament that wood working and crafts in general are losing out to the digital world- fear not!
    My classes include both (digital and analog) and given a choice many of the students I've had the last few years have chosen hands on woodworking over computer aided methods.
    I have one student in 8th grade this year who is an outstanding turner. Her second ever bowl would stand its own next to any of mine. Currently she's working on a live edge cherry bowl. I've run an afterschool program in wood turning for the last three years. 4th and 5 graders. The only limit is the number of lathes I have.

Inspired by Paul Sellars, I've had students in the same age range carving spoons.

Its hard to beat the real time feedback to the choices you make and the direct connection to a tangible result.

So you never know what down stream effects your simple sharing can foster. The same can be said for Mike's sharpening tips and endless info on finishes and finishing I pick up in the forums. I could list more but you get the idea.
    Well I had no idea you were passing on whatever tidbits I gave you! Im glad to hear it planted some seeds as well!. I dont really mind teaching turning, because to me its a finesse thing that is best learned from another turner. Mike, if only I had more time!. I dont even have time to turn my own things it seems.

8. The following user says Thank You to chris_goris for this useful post:

Scott Bilicki User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott (41)
    Visit Freq
    0.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

School is over... I can start harassing you for my classes on Turning for Amy and I. And maybe even finish that work bench! LOL

I enjoy the workshops when they are available, and I also like the one-on-one tutorials... but what I like most is actually is just getting to work side by side on a project with someone who can guide me as we go. Having an end goal in mind and working and practicing on that end goal with someone who can watch me, correct, and teach me as I go is great. But who has the time to sit and watch and teach? between kids, work, family time, house projects and then trying to sync up calendars.

I know my kids watch YouTube a LOTTTTT! And they do seem to learn, but I think they are missing out on the personal experiences.... the ones that I get the most enjoyment from.

So thank you all who have spent time teaching me a class or working with me in your shop, or mine, and spending real time sharing your wisdom!!!

SCB

10. The following user says Thank You to Grimmy2016 for this useful post:

Scott Bilicki User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott (41)
    Visit Freq
    0.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I’m a woodworker under 40. I have two kids, 5 & 3, and a third on the way. I have a full time job and am a part time PhD student. I haven’t meaningfully used my shop since Christmas. Lately, I barely have time to mow my yard. This site is basically my only connection to the hobby.
    I hear you... just finished my MBA, have 3 kids, a wife who is also in grad school, and my only time for the last year was through the website. Now that school is over for me, the kids want to spend all their time with me.... but never in the shop. Always at some game on the basketball court or on the PS4.

Senior User
    Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    3.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Although it sounds as though Im in the 'older' demographic at 44, my reasons for not being able to attend a workshop are the same as many of the others who have offered them: distance (Im in Richmond, VA) and time (I have 2 daughters, 2 and 4 and a wife who all get my attention first and foremost and my hobbies, woodworking and SCUBA diving, come second). When I can find the time for woodworking right now, I can not begin to express how much I appreciate the contributions made on this site. I have learned a tremendous amount since joining NCWW a little over a year ago. I also find that YouTube and magazine's (particularly Woodsmith if I can name it specifically here) are valuable resources. Ultimately, the best way for me to learn something is to actually do it and for that reason I look at workshops as being invaluable. To be sure, the hand-on experience is nicely supplemented by a little research in texts and on the internet.

As an analytical chemist by trade, I recognize that there are usually multiple pathways to accomplish something and I sincerely enjoy learning about how someone else may do something differently than how I might approach the same thing. For this reason I also appreciate hearing the different pieces of advice on how each member may do something when someone posts a question. It offers the opportunity for me choose to adopt something exactly as posted in a single post or create a hybrid from several different posts.

I appreciate the learning opportunities that are created through NCWW and hope to be able to take advantage of the workshops eventually. So thank you for the wealth of information offered here and for the opportunities to learn!
    Go Hokies!!!

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    5.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Richo B View Post
    Dan - I was hoping to meet you at the picnic as I've read many of your posts on the forum. Didn't realize you were there yesterday. Perhaps we saw each other in passing.
    After the meal, it was tough to find folks. I think the mingling happened before the food and like I said - I was late.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...or+chair+class

I'm the guy with the 2 tone ball cap on that looks confused int he thread above. Maybe next time you see me wondering around looking lost, you can pull me aside like Hank did at the sign in table.

Dan