Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Finish recommendations and Euro hinge question

Hello,

I know I'm wearing ya'll out over this wall cabinet I'm building but this is the most advanced woodworking project for me to date.

Was planning to use lacquer, either satin or semi-gloss, but open to shellac or poly. I do like lacquer and I favor satin. I don't plan to use a stain but will use a danish oil. Guess I'm asking what would be the best choice for something in a bathroom with the drastic changes in humidity? I'm planning to use a HVLP sprayer to apply the finish.

As far as the hinges, I would like to go with the Euro style hinges. Seems there is some built in adjustments in case I'm off a little. I bought the Kreg Hinge Jig to mount them. The question I have regarding using this style of hinge is regarding the type of door. I will going with an inset raised panel door. Do I need to get a hinge specifically for inset doors? Can't seem to find a clear answer for that.

The plan I'm following calls for square plugs covering screw holes for the shelves. Not sure screws are necessary and that is just another way to for me to mess up. The first dry fit came out square. I made the shelves a wee bit long to sneak up on the length. The dado were a little tight but resolved that and adjusted the shelf length. Its getting done to fish or cut bait!

Attached Images Attached Images

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (78)
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Finish recommendations and Euro hinge question

probably best thing for you is to go to the Blum site and read all the info on different hinges and their purpose.NOT being smart butt nor condescending, there is just so much info to try and explain here. I always make face frame not Euro style, Blum definitely has the hinges because that is the entire basis for the 32mm system.Presuming you have drive space, download every bit of info from their site and make yourself a directory of all that info where you have it at your finger tips.

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to Skymaster :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post
    probably best thing for you is to go to the Blum site and read all the info on different hinges and their purpose.NOT being smart butt nor condescending, there is just so much info to try and explain here. I always make face frame not Euro style, Blum definitely has the hinges because that is the entire basis for the 32mm system.Presuming you have drive space, download every bit of info from their site and make yourself a directory of all that info where you have it at your finger tips.
    Been there done that! How hard can a company make it to buy a hinge??!!

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes, it is a special hinge and plate combination for inset. I'll get you the number out of the blum book when I get to the shop later this morning.

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to srhardwoods :

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I might have to do a few things on the car first but I am getting close to starting a bathroom cabinet myself. It will be floor standing, a little over 30 inches wide, 16 inches deep, and just short of 8 feet tall. I want to wrap the crown molding the rest of the room has around it at the top. I am debating trying to tilt it up in the room assembled and screwing it together in the room. The crown molding is not large so the clearance at the top would only be a couple inches. I will probably have to assemble it in place.

But the part of my story applicable to you is finish. The vanity, which I did not make, is white with a very smooth finish. My wife says this cabinet should be the same. That dictates the structure as well as the finish. I like Resisthane and have used it both clear and tinted. It is a water based finish described by its maker as a pre-cat lacquer. It comes in different sheens (i.e. you can get semi-gloss and I think you can get satin). It dries very quickly, sand if necessary and recoat in 2 hours. So I can do three coats in a day. For my application, I will use the high build primer but for yours, you can just use the finish as the first coat. It can be brushed but dries so quickly I don't see that as practical although it can be for a touch up.

You should be able to use Resisthane or other finishes over danish oil but I never have. I would let the danish oil dry for a week first, however. Is the danish oil to pop the grain?

I would use at least 3 coats of finish over oak unless you fill the grain - and I probably would then too. Water based is thin and quick to apply so 5 might be safer. It takes a bit to fill the large pores - and if they are not filed, the wood can still absorb water. I would sand heavily after the first coat, significantly after the second, and then just sand out any runs for subsequent coats. Resisthane will cut into prior coats just like solvent based lacquer - so sanding is not for aherence.

8. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes, I'm using the danish oil to make the grain pop. I use it on the pet memorial urns I make and usually wait at least 3 days or longer before applying the finish.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chuck
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Blum hinge # is 71B3750 full crank soft close. Mounting plate is #173H7100 that is 0 mm cam adjustable. Standard mounting plate with adjustment in mounting screws is #173H6100 also 0 mm.

11. The following user says Thank You to Ecr1 for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Ecr1 View Post
    Blum hinge # is 71B3750 full crank soft close. Mounting plate is #173H7100 that is 0 mm cam adjustable. Standard mounting plate with adjustment in mounting screws is #173H6100 also 0 mm.
    Many thanks!!

Senior User
    Nickname
    Lee
    Visit Freq
    3.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I just used blum soft close hinges for frameless, inset cabinets on my built in cabinet doors. I had a face frame, but I milled some spacers to put behind the mounting plate on the inside of the cabinet. I have no valid evidence that this is better than plates that go directly on a face frame, but it feels sturdier and would seem to last longer that way than installed directly onto a face frame. Anyway, it looks like this hinge would work well for your project since you don't have any face frames.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit...looks like these were already suggested. Sorry for the redundancy.

14. The following user says Thank You to Plunkett for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chuck
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No problem I' do 90% inset cabinetry let me know if you need any help. That link from amazon in the previous post is the part numbers I was giving you.

16. The following user says Thank You to Ecr1 for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    3.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Eddie,

Sometimes the hinges is different for inset. I believe its called a crank hinge.

There are also Blum hinges that can do all three applications & the mounting plates are different.

B073B3550 is a nice hinge. For inset doors use mounting plate 175H5030.21. Check the installation PDF its pretty self explanatory (found under Installation tab).

FWIW I buy virtually all my cabinet hardware from Woodworkers Hardware (wwhardware.com).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Rwe2156; 05-16-2018 at 10:43 AM.

18. The following user says Thank You to Rwe2156 for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    3.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

On the finish side, this is for a bathroom, correct? If so, lacquer or shellac not best in a high humidity environment like a bathroom. Urethane or polyacrylic is pretty much a foolproof finish here.

Golden Oak Danish oil looks pretty decent. I used it on this toolbox.

Experiment on some scrap first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. The following user says Thank You to Rwe2156 for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

What's wrong with plain butt hinges for a bathroom cabinet with inset doors? Each door is only about 11" x 8.5" x 3/4" t with a panel. The Blum Euro style hinges are definitely nice but just seem like a huge overkill that are a PITA to choose and install (35mm Forstner bit needed, etc). I wouldn't choose them for a one-off project.

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/understanding-hinges/

http://www.rockler.com/blum-soft-clo...eless-cabinets
    Last edited by Jeff; 05-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.

22. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

To me, hinges are mainly an appearance thing. I will be using the "european" cup hinges on my bathroom cabinet because that is what is in the vanity. I used little more conventional hinges on a different bathroom cabinet, which also had inset doors, because that is what my wife wanted. They show but she likes the look. I don't find cup hinges harder to install and they are far easier to adjust. I bought a couple 35mm forstener bits years ago. They only get used for this so they do not dull rapidly. I have a fence on my drill press so I can easily set it up for the right distance back and drill the doors. I've seen jigs for drilling the cup holes and they may work OK. But for me it is a drill press operation. If you cut a profile on the outside of the door you may have to be very careful of the cup hole depth. Cup hinges do not show with the door closed and can be easily adjusted for reveal.

I googled up the Blum website and found they have nice application guides. They are little spreadsheets you download which will easily and quickly tell you what hinge and baseplate to buy. That helps to avoid another potential drawback of these hinges. There is so much flexibility that it can be confusing. You can get 100-180 degree opening, face frame mounting or mounting to the cabinet side, overlay, half overlay or inset .....

24. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Something to consider is the loss of storage space when using euro hinges (may not be an issue). Regular butt hinges don’t take up interior space.