DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Marketing strategies tips for woodworkers

Many of us woodworkers desire to sell our creations through craft fairs, flea markets, and community events where we set up our display booth. This thread is to offer tips and advice, as well as your experiences in trying to sell your wares in these different venues. Please share your experiences and successes, as well as your displays; pictures are wonderful!
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Marketing strategies tips for woodworkers

I have marketed work at several different venues and I'll share what I've learned. A true craft fair means the vendors are selling what they have made. These are good for woodworkers if your creations are small enough to be displayed in a 10' x 10' booth. I usually have my own tables and use 3, set up in horse shoe fashion. I sell pens and small turned items on the center table, and scroll sawn items such as clocks and boxes etc. on the side tables.
    I've learned that when a vendor fair is to take place, the type of, and number of customers you will be exposed should be considered. An outdoor booth at a church will bring much smaller numbers than a craft fair held at a central, urban venue. Outdoor events can be a disaster if it rains or is cold. Even the offer of indoor setup in case of rain isn't good, because if it rains, it won't rain customers.
    A vendor fair seems mostly geared to women as many of the vendors are selling items that appeal mostly to women. If you wish to display there, make sure your items have a feminine appeal, such as napkin or paper towel holders, pepper mills, kitchen things, etc.
    You might do well to have a variety of price ranges too. If you can cut something and sell for $2.00 bucks or so, those items, if presented well, should disappear quickly. Try to tailor what you offer to the type of customer and the event you are involved in. I like the big craft fairs best but the vendor fees will be high, $200 or more for 2 days, but with the right products and favorable weather I do well. If only we knew the weather at the time you have to sign up and pay.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to sawman101 :