Nickname
    Jacob
    Visit Freq
    2.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Shaker Side Table

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clemmons View Post
    Jacob, not only is the table looking very, very good, but you are really giving yourself some woodworking challenges: tongue & groove joinery; sliding dovetails. Wow! I know you're still young, but at the rate you're going you will be a master someday.

Now a question. In one of the pics it appears the tenons are much longer than the depth of the mortises. Is this just an illusion, or did you cut the tenons to length later? At first I thought they were going to be through tenons, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Also, I like the beading on the bottom of your side/back rails. This was not always an element of Shaker furniture. Some considered it "ornamentation" and therefore not allowed. Others considered it functional to keep the sharp edges from getting damaged.
    You're right about the challenges! The dovetail in the top of the legs for the top pieces above the drawer was a real difficult thing for to cut and even though I only had to cut two of them it took a considerable amount of time. Thanks for your input and your kind words. I've been interested in woodworking for a while now and I've made little nic naks and cutting boards and what I really want to make is furniture, particularly old timey, so I was so eager to start some kind of something related to furniture.

As for the tenons, you're absolutely right they were very long and were originally intended to be draw bore through tenons. The plans I am loosely going off of are James Wrights (wood by Wright on YouTube) plans for a side table. He built his with no glue at all. He did beading on his and I liked it so I wanted to try it.
    But I didnt like the look of the through tenons so I cut them to size but then made my mortise 3/4 deep. And then made the tenons to match so they don't stick out.

About the Shaker style. I think the plans are loosely based on that style so that's what I called it, because it looks most like that style but I guess it isn't really. Plus I got a stanley no 45 so I wanted to try it out.

2. The following user says Thank You to Jak3 for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    HenryW
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jak3 View Post
    Well I guess it isn't necessary but I'm sort of going off the plans .... I just thought I'd do it because I have the plane and I've never done it before so may as well try.
    Perfectly good reason. Just because I would not do it that way does not mean someone with more skills, energy, tools, and ability than me should not do it that way. I hate to see a world in which everyone did things the ways I do them!
    Henry W
    Prolific creator of sawdust, and sometimes shavings - with the occasional completed project.

4. The following user says Thank You to Henry W for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Jacob
    Visit Freq
    2.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clemmons View Post
    Jacob, not only is the table looking very, very good, but you are really giving yourself some woodworking challenges: tongue & groove joinery; sliding dovetails. Wow! I know you're still young, but at the rate you're going you will be a master someday.

Now a question. In one of the pics it appears the tenons are much longer than the depth of the mortises. Is this just an illusion, or did you cut the tenons to length later? At first I thought they were going to be through tenons, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Also, I like the beading on the bottom of your side/back rails. This was not always an element of Shaker furniture. Some considered it "ornamentation" and therefore not allowed. Others considered it functional to keep the sharp edges from getting damaged.
    Also, I was browsing the Forum Gallery the other day and I saw what I think was your Shaker Table if I remember correctly it was yours and it was made in Cherry and walnut. I must say an absolutely stunning piece, I hope to make something such as that one day. Truly elegant.

6. The following user says Thank You to Jak3 for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Jacob
    Visit Freq
    2.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Henry W View Post
    Perfectly good reason. Just because I would not do it that way does not mean someone with more skills, energy, tools, and ability than me should not do it that way. I hate to see a world in which everyone did things the ways I do them!
    Thank you for your input and your kind words. I love your motto by the way. The project I make most is saw dust and shavings as well !

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Looking great!
    “A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in".

9. The following user says Thank You to LocoWoodWork for this useful post:

Nickname
    Todd
    Visit Freq
    2.29 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jak3, is that a Paul Sellers workbench in the corner?

11. The following user says Thank You to urshurak776 for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Jacob
    Visit Freq
    2.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by urshurak776 View Post
    Jak3, is that a Paul Sellers workbench in the corner?
    Yes sir it most certainly is. I finished it back in January or February. I love it!

13. The following user says Thank You to Jak3 for this useful post: