Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.76 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Ron Paulk/MFT table

Hello,

I'd like to build a small portable MFT table based on the Ron Paulk design. Maybe 2x4 out of MDF. Something similar can be found on http://woodrave.com

The jig on woodrave.com is based on pegboard with 1/4" holes. I can find 3/16 and 9/32 pegboard locally, in store. The only 1/4" hole pegboard I can find are from Triton at HD for about $50. I only need a narrow strip. If I buy the jig from woodrave and the hole spacing on the Triton pegboard isn't the same, I just blew $80 to $90. That's still less than a hundred plus dollars for other jigs out there.

I would prefer 3/4" dogholes and like the idea of holes spaced a 90 degree angles.

Any ideas?

Nickname
    Update your profile with your name
    Visit Freq
    5.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Ron Paulk/MFT table

I have seen these advertised on Craigslist off and on over the past several months. I assume this person has a CNC machine patterned for the cutout.

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d...530652829.html

This may be an option or if you could find a local cabinet shop with a CNC. This should be a relatively simple setup and design so the processing cost should be minimal and you could cut several sheets for backup tops.

3. The following user says Thank You to cyclopentadiene for this useful post:

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Eddie,

I also live in Lexington SC and have the Woodrave jig. I used it and normal cheap pegboard from Home Depot to make a couple Paulk inspired work surfaces. You don't really need 1/4 inch thick pegboard. I worried about it too but my holes are sufficient square I sometimes use them for a squaring jig. The result shows no error I can measure with any square I own.

The only issue I have with Paulk's ideas is you shouldn't really cut directly on them. That precludes using dogs for right angle cuts. That is not a huge limitation. But Peter Parfit (sp? comes up if you google New Brit) has a different idea of a MDF sheet you just throw on another horizontal surface with the necessary holes to do cutting. I have to put something down anyway to protect the worksurface. I still really like the two layer tops, however. Keeps tools handy without the clutter. The holes in the surface are also quite handy for clamping.

I'm not home as much as I would like but if you want to stop by and see the jig or my work surfaces PM me and we can try to arrange something.

Jim

5. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.76 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    Eddie,

I also live in Lexington SC and have the Woodrave jig. I used it and normal cheap pegboard from Home Depot to make a couple Paulk inspired work surfaces. You don't really need 1/4 inch thick pegboard. I worried about it too but my holes are sufficient square I sometimes use them for a squaring jig. The result shows no error I can measure with any square I own.

The only issue I have with Paulk's ideas is you shouldn't really cut directly on them. That precludes using dogs for right angle cuts. That is not a huge limitation. But Peter Parfit (sp? comes up if you google New Brit) has a different idea of a MDF sheet you just throw on another horizontal surface with the necessary holes to do cutting. I have to put something down anyway to protect the worksurface. I still really like the two layer tops, however. Keeps tools handy without the clutter. The holes in the surface are also quite handy for clamping.

I'm not home as much as I would like but if you want to stop by and see the jig or my work surfaces PM me and we can try to arrange something.

Jim
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and offer. May take you up on it.

I did email Tony Zeh last night. He said the important thing about the pegboard is 1" spacing.

I'll have to make a run to HD or Lowes this weekend and carry a rule to do some measuring.

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (46)
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tdukes View Post
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the info and offer. May take you up on it.

I did email Tony Zeh last night. He said the important thing about the pegboard is 1" spacing.

I'll have to make a run to HD or Lowes this weekend and carry a rule to do some measuring.
    If you do take measurements then take your measurements over the length of several feet. A lot of products these days are specified in metric and adapted to imperial units. An inch is 25.4mm, but that 0.4mm error if the holes are on 25mm centers can be very hard to see if you only look at an inch or two, but over several feet that 0.4mm adds up to quite a bit of error (at 24" it would add up to 9.6mm, or about 3/8", which is much easier to detect).

8. The following 2 users say Thank You to ehpoole :

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I am pretty sure normal pegboard is 1 inch spacing but I am not sure it would be a big deal if it was consistently slightly different. MFTs have 96mm hole spacing. But 4 inch spacing between holes, if they are all consistent, doesn't affect things that I can tell. The idea of the MFT is that yo be able to use the holes to know you are at right angles or 45 degree angle. That doesn't require any sort of precise dimension for the spacing but does require that the holes be consistent.

I noticed the holes in what I bought wandered a bit, were not lined up perfectly, over the 8 foot length. I thought that would mean I couldn't use them to establish a square corner. Seems like the error is small enough it doesn't impact at least my woodworking. I put blocks on the table using the holes for reference for position and when I measure them with my squares, I get square. While I can see some lack of linearity over 8 feet, it does not seem to be enough to measure over a foot or so for which I have a good square to check it with. It could be either the distance difference or it could be that while they wander a bit, they wander as a group. Seems to work fine in any event.

With the woodrave router jig, hole size is whatever bit you put in your plunge router. I made 1/2 inch holes in my bigger worksurface and then enlarged them to 20mm. I went direct to 20mm on the smaller one and I didn't like that as well - router seemed to struggle (PC690).

10. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.76 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Just sprung for the Woodrave jig. Looks like a 3/4" Onsrud spiral upcut bit will be the next purchase. uggh!

Staff Advisor
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Joe (75)
    Visit Freq
    5.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Made this awhile back. I plotted a grid onto the two tops (stacked) and plunged a MLCS HSS spiral bit through both. BTW, the bit is still sharp. When I thru cut on the bench tops, I lay the work on top of 2" foam board. I cut the 4 X 8 foam board sheet into quarters, and use just what I need.

Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

13. The following user says Thank You to Joe Scharle for this useful post:

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I like upcut spiral bits but they are pricey. A straight bit with a bottom cutter will also work fine. It won't plunge quite as easy but it will work.

15. The following user says Thank You to JimD for this useful post:

Staff Advisor
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Joe (75)
    Visit Freq
    5.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Eddie, this is what I used:

https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...ral_hss_anchor

#7498 3/4" 1-1/4" 3-1/4" 1/2" $15.95 $13.55 from MLCS
    Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind, and the ones who mind, don't matter.

17. The following user says Thank You to Joe Scharle for this useful post: