Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Drill press??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Is this the jig that Mike Davis suggested and you made it work pretty well without a plunge router? What were you expecting in order to label the outcome "nice and neat"?

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...age=2&p=591747

A drill press is a handy addition for many other uses besides roughing out mortises with Forstner bits (you'll still have to clean up the mortise with a chisel to make it "nice and neat").

I have this bench top Craftsman (2/3 hp, 620-3120 rpm) that works fine for me over 12 years.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inc...p-00921900000P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwPO3Hsen50
    Mike did a much better job on his jig than I did. I didn't get the side rails tight enough and ended up getting varying widths on the mortise. I figure I need a decent drill press anyway, so next time will try drilling them out. I had read about 'not getting mortise attachment' somewhere else already, so would just plan to drill and clean up with chisel.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

In 1978 I used a Rockwell drillpress with mortise attachment to make eight 5/16x3/4 inch mortises 1/2 inch deep in 200 white oak wheel axels for a small reproduction wheel barrow that was sold through Newman-Marcus.

It it was not the easiest thing I ever did but far from the most difficult.

Yep that was 1600 mortises, 4800 cuts with a drill press Mortising attachment.

The very thing that everybody says not to use.

Attached Images Attached Images

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DSWalker View Post
    Mike did a much better job on his jig than I did. I didn't get the side rails tight enough and ended up getting varying widths on the mortise. I figure I need a decent drill press anyway, so next time will try drilling them out. I had read about 'not getting mortise attachment' somewhere else already, so would just plan to drill and clean up with chisel.
    Good plan so carry on!

4. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Clay
    Visit Freq
    6.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My daughter convinced the family to buy me a Grizzly 7943 benchtop for Christmas a few years ago. I built a roll around base for it with room for drawers and with locking wheels. That makes what Stumpy calls "rearrange-itis" easier to deal with, but is still a good stable platform. Agree the Woodpecker table is a great upgrade, no matter which press you get. I also replaced the belts with a linked belt to reduce vibration. I am very please with the 7943.

6. The following user says Thank You to cobraguy for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a Hitachi "16" floor model bought at Lowes on sale probably 10 years or more ago. It is a belt driven 12 speed. I have it mounted on a roll around base.

I do like the speed change option (on mine 250 - 3100rpm) on the chuck. (It is a belt driven model with multiple pulley combinations). The low speed is very handy when using large bits (I have used up to a 4" hole saw on it), and the faster speeds are great when working metal.
    Also like the built in work lighting and the 1/2" chuck.
    The 3/4 hp (120v 8A) motor has handled everything I have thrown at it.
    The table rotation and angle adjustments are "okay", but the table design makes it difficult to clamp items securely.

The drawbacks:

The quill has a bit of side movement, especially when extended out,
    The "16" measures 7 1/2 " from quill center to post (making it a 15")
    The laser target lights quit about 2 years into use, but were very nice while they were working.
    The depth stop will rotate when pressure is put against it, which can result in a 1/4" depth variation if I am not alert.

Based on the above, my feeling are:

At least a 3/4 hp motor.
    At least 8" from bit center to post.
    Variable speeds are a must. Lower speeds are most important and most used in wood working, I you want to use it with a router bit for plunging holes or cleaning up long mortises, the 1/2" chuck and high speeds help.
    Floor model on a moveable base possibly better than bench model. (have have used the Drill press table to support a board as outfeed table when resawing on my bandsaw.) Key factor is the mobile base.
    Although mine gets most use with the table within 12" of the quill, I have had occasions when being able to drop the table more has been very beneficial.

Check the quill for side-to-side slop if you are able to check out a prospective model before purchase, as well as the security of the depth stop.

Good luck

Go
    Last edited by Gofor; 04-14-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Practicing at practical woodworking

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Found a Delta floor model, 17-900.

Anyone have any exp with one of those? Looks like a really good price at $80 [assuming it works, lol]

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    4.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

David,
    No experience with that Drill Press, but here is some information;

http://lumberjocks.com/topics/60471

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f12/d...pinions-55003/

And last, but not least from our own parish;

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...ad.php?t=45829
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if itís a spell plucked from a sorcererís hand Ė Paul Sellers

10. The following 2 users say Thank You to Hmerkle :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DSWalker View Post
    Found a Delta floor model, 17-900.

Anyone have any exp with one of those? Looks like a really good price at $80 [assuming it works, lol]
    No experience with that model. You'll want to fashion a larger plywood table to fasten to the small machinists table for woodworking.

https://www.theequipmenthub.com/used...l-drill-press/

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

User
    Nickname
    Bob
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hi

I am a bit late to this thread. There are some Drill press's out there - old ones - that used a 633C chuck. That chuck is a #33 taper but has screw on sleeve that pulled the chuck up tight. The DP's had bearings that could handle side thrust ie a sanding drum, etc. Often with side thrust the chuck will come off, not these. There were attachments that fit on a 1/2" stud that was part of a #33 taper with the collar. the old Craftsman with the thin belt had that setup. Powermatic 1100 had the same setup. Made for a reasonable strong DP.

I have both, the Craftsman I purchased new in '72 or '73. The 1100 is a bench model I picked up used about 15 years ago.

The used market is a good place for these.

Bob

14. The following user says Thank You to bobsmodels for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The older Delta I mentioned above sold before I could get to it.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

One of my friends just texted that he has his fathers Craftsman drill press for sale. I haven’t seen it yet but if you are interested I’ll get more info.

WWFD

Senior User
    Nickname
    David
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    One of my friends just texted that he has his fathers Craftsman drill press for sale. I haven’t seen it yet but if you are interested I’ll get more info.
    Sure, that would be great. I prefer a floor vs bench top and at least 3/4 HP.

Thanks for checking.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

He just sent photos, it is a bench top on a stand. 1/2 HP, probably from late 50s or early 60s all metal. He is asking $150.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WWFD

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jim
    Visit Freq
    5.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My drill press is an old Craftsman, purchased new in the 1980s. It is a floor model, weighs about 300 lbs and has a broad speed range ~250-8000 rpm. The speed adjustment is just one belt and I like that and the broad range but that one belt is small and slips in a hard cut. The 1/2 hp motor is not an issue because of the belt. But I've used big bits and hole saws in it, I just have to go a bit slow. It does not have a crank adjustment for the table so I rigged something up with a boat trailer winch mechanism. I like it, it isn't ideal but I am used to it and don't feel like it needs replaced.

I also have a small Jet hollow chisel mortiser. I like it the best of any method I've used to make mortises but if I ever feel like I have the money I may buy a Domino. The issue with the Jet is getting the chisel back out on the first cut, especially on 1/2 inch mortises. Even with the long handle it has, it can be a struggle. I've never done them on a drill press but I can see why it would be an issue with one of those attachments and the short handles of a drill press. I got good results with a plunge router and U shaped holding cradle. If I did not have the Jet, that is what I would do. If I had to do them on a drill press, I would drill out most of the waste and chisel. I think it would be less frustrating than struggling to pull a chisel out with a mortising attachment.