Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

DQ status?

I have a question about the DQ status. Is it really worth jumping through hoops to be DQ and disclosing a lot of personal information to satisfy those requirements and opting in?

Who are the participating vendors in the program (Klingspor, Woodworking Source, Anchor Hardwoods) and who else? I haven't bought anything from them but have bought lumber mostly from The Hardwood Store.

What are the typical discounts offered by the vendors?

Opinions and experiences are welcome too.

2. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (46)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Been Here Forever but Posting Again

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I have a question about the DQ status. Is it really worth jumping through hoops to be DQ and disclosing a lot of personal information to satisfy those requirements and opting in?

Who are the participating vendors in the program (Klingspor, Woodworking Source, Anchor Hardwoods) and who else? I haven't bought anything from them but have bought lumber mostly from The Hardwood Store.

What are the typical discounts offered by the vendors?

Opinions and experiences are welcome too.
    You can see the full list of participating DQ vendors, as well as individually opt-in or out of each, on the "General Settings" screen under the "Settings" control panel (upper right-hand corner of every screen). As to whether such discounts are worth sharing your personal information, only you can ever be the judge of that. That is why nobody is ever opted-in to either the DQ program or Corporate Member status by default when you register, it is something the member must intentionally do themselves such that the decision is theirs and theirs alone as we try very hard to respect everyone's privacy.

My thoughts on the subject for whatever they are worth
    Given that countless spammers and God knows who else far worse, already have much, if not all plus a great deal more, of our personal details, sometimes I can not help but to wonder if the real choice is not so much "who" but whether we trust the "good guys" less than we have already been forced against our will to trust the bad guys. Heck, Equifax and the State of South Carolina were both kind enough to share all our information and accounts with any and every group willing to shell out a few dollars courtesy of their multiple data breaches...at least two major breaches just courtesy of our State government in the past few years -- apparently the price of filing your annual tax return these days is the state government sharing all your personal and account info with the world on a silver platter for the taking...kind of makes one wonder whether paying taxes is worthwhile, huh? Too bad there isn't an opt-out. Except it is already too late! LOL. When you realize that all the groups you least trust already have full access to your personal info at will it kind of makes one ask what, and from whom, we are still protecting these days. Or at least that is how I have come to think of things of late on that subject. YMMV.

So although I have not done business with any of them myself I have nonetheless opted to share my personal details with both the DQ vendors and, obviously, NCWW as I am both an admin and a Corporate Member in addition to being DQ qualified. As you can imagine from the above, I know they could not possibly do any worse with my name and mailing address than all the illicit parties that already possess that information and far more (note that such is not intended as a backhanded compliment, though it sure reads that way!) plus my philosophy is that I would never ask others to do anything that I myself would not be willing to do so there is that, too. But there is at least an honest chance I might one day benefit from sharing my info with them (DQ vendors) should I one day place an order whereas I certainly can't say that for all those other untrusted parties who have no reputations worthy of protecting and act only out of self interest.

For those of us brought up to value privacy it is kind of depressing these days when it comes to that subject!

Our DQ vendors, by comparison, regularly support our website (some tremendously), and in that way we -- every single one of us -- have already benefitted from their participation whether we take advantage of it or not, and we very much appreciate their support! I have far greater faith in them!

4. The following 8 users say Thank You to ehpoole :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    5.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Just curious. When I joined, I posted an introduction in the 'General Woodworking' forum. Guess I didn't read the confirmation email or whatever. Is it too late to post in the 'Who we are' forum to get DQ status?

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...ad.php?t=63388

6. The following user says Thank You to tdukes for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You can make that post any time.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

8. The following 4 users say Thank You to Mike Davis :

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

It is never too late to post in Who We Are to secure your DQ status.

You can also opt-in to Corporate Membership at any time and then be able to participate in the election of Board Members and become a Board Member yourself if you so choose. Only Corporate Members can become members of the Board and participate in their election.

All that is required for Corporate Membership is to provide us a full name and address which is stored in a hidden area of the web site only accessible by our admins. We never share or otherwise abuse your information except in the case of your opting in to the DQ programs.

We recently turned down a raffle prize because the vendor wanted a list of email addresses of our members in return for the prize. Since no one opted in to that use of their information, we turned it down. We are careful with your private information.
    I don't believe in Astrology. I'm a Sagittarius and we're skeptical.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

10. The following user says Thank You to KenOfCary for this useful post:

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (46)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by KenOfCary View Post
    It is never too late to post in Who We Are to secure your DQ status.

You can also opt-in to Corporate Membership at any time and then be able to participate in the election of Board Members and become a Board Member yourself if you so choose. Only Corporate Members can become members of the Board and participate in their election.

All that is required for Corporate Membership is to provide us a full name and address which is stored in a hidden area of the web site only accessible by our admins. We never share or otherwise abuse your information except in the case of your opting in to the DQ programs.

We recently turned down a raffle prize because the vendor wanted a list of email addresses of our members in return for the prize. Since no one opted in to that use of their information, we turned it down. We are careful with your private information.

Just to clarify, Corporate Member status also includes a minimum Visitation Frequency value in addition to the other qualifiers (including the "Who We Are" post). One can view the full requirements from the "Policy" tab on the main menu bar and selecting "User Privilege Level & Promotion Policy" and for the DQ program the "NCWW Discount Program" Policy pages.

12. The following 2 users say Thank You to ehpoole :

Nickname
    Pop (78)
    Visit Freq
    4.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

​Privacy, privacy, there is no privacy. (pardon to Patrick Henry) Many years ago in art school I was introduced to Marshall McLuhan and his book The Medium Is The Massage. (not message massage) In this little book Prof. McLuhan looked into the future and surmised that TV, telecommunications, computers etc. would join forces and create what he referred to as The Global Village. Attention folks! We have arrived. In a village there is no privacy. Everybody knows everything about everybody. We have created this electronic matrix and now for better or worse we live in it. I love it's technology and convenience, but if you hate it you might as well get use to it. I don't think it's going away any time soon.

Pop

Nickname
    Allan (69)
    Visit Freq
    2.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

That brings back memories Pop: Marshall McLuhan, what are you do-in? was a popular refrain back then

15. The following user says Thank You to AllanD for this useful post: