DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

4 things going at one time in the shop

Once again, I am inletting a patchbox like the one below. I have the brass inlet but I have to make the patchbox release and line up the pin and catch to make it work smoothly. Today its raining and the shop is getting warm.

As you look at the photo below, you can see it needs to be drilled out to make a cavity to store things.

This is the release I will make today. Yea lots of filing.

The release button is hidden. If you look at the photo above the shooter pushes down on the section to the left of the lid and that pushes the rod and the spring release goes back and the lid pops open. If all goes as planned.

When that's completed today or tomorrow, on to shaping a couple bows and drilling seat tops to slip the bending in.

As the humidity is high its time to brown a barrel and lock.

This is the bright or white barrel I will brown today. I will match the lockplate and hammer below.

below is the tang for the hooked break plug the Hawken brothers used on the original half stocked rifles

When that's going along and rusting, I hope to do some carving on the cheek piece of a longrifle.

What's the point? I have a ton of stuff to get out the door so I better get movin' in the right direction.

The weather said we might see some strange precip today??

later

2. The following 9 users say Thank You to danmart77 :

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Roy
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: 4 things going at one time in the shop

You may not be busier than a one-armed paper hanger, but you're darned close to it.

Roy G

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Wonderful picture of your quaint looking shop Dan! It looks like just the place to be on a day like today with the cold and snow. Your fire arm creations are beautiful! Do you buy the hardware, and if so, where from, unless it's a trade secret.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sawman101 View Post
    Wonderful picture of your quaint looking shop Dan! It looks like just the place to be on a day like today with the cold and snow. Your fire arm creations are beautiful! Do you buy the hardware, and if so, where from, unless it's a trade secret.
    I don't build barrels anymore. It is soooo much work and my arm hurt for weeks afterwards. Most other brass and iron when cost effective. Many times I buy the locks and butt plates.

I really like making the triggers and the locks come in parts and you make them up. Not always easy.. especially the flints.

There are so many things to do to pull a rifle together it makes sense to farm out some things and do others yourself.

Embellishments are endless really. This is another builders effort to make the muzzle cap interesting. He did this with a small needle file.

Inletting the barrel alone takes a long time. Most people don't know that the barrel which is 44" long is not just a straight 1 inch octagon from breech to muzzle. No that is easy. The barrel below begins at the breach 1 inch across the flats then tapers down to 3/4" at the 33" mark the flares back out to 7/8 at the muzzle.

You have a swamped barrel. That is a monster to inlet. Why? When done it balances and feels better not having the extra weight out on the end.

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to danmart77 :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

That is even more complicated and intricate than I realized, and I have some conception of what compromises a firearm, although mine are all smokeless powder. You certainly build beautiful black powder guns Dan! You are one of a very few accomplished musket makers anywhere, being able to fabricate the entire gun from scratch. Please show more pictures of your work, when you can, I know a lot of us would really enjoy looking at them!
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sawman101 View Post
    That is even more complicated and intricate than I realized, and I have some conception of what compromises a firearm, although mine are all smokeless powder. You certainly build beautiful black powder guns Dan! You are one of a very few accomplished musket makers anywhere, being able to fabricate the entire gun from scratch. Please show more pictures of your work, when you can, I know a lot of us would really enjoy looking at them!
    Take a look in the gallery under albums by danmart77
    Might be some photos to see like the one below

9. The following user says Thank You to danmart77 for this useful post: