DQ
    Nickname
    Steve (52)
    Visit Freq
    5.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Shop safety equipment

What do you experienced folks feel about Quikclot? I keep that in my range bag along with some trauma bandages.
    - Not living life till you're part of the Food Chain

User
    Nickname
    Dan
    Visit Freq
    1.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

re: Cell phones in pockets. A morbid but very real possibility -- In an instance of severe hand damage (use your imagination here) would you be able to get the phone out of your pocket? If so, would you be able to unlock the screen and dial the numbers for help?

I've seen other discussions that suggest having a phone with large buttons that can be pressed with any working appendage (even your nose if need be), mounted low on the wall (that would be within reach when laying on the floor). Even better, one with programmable panic buttons. The voice activated home automation devices (with the noted privacy concerns) or the monitored panic units (life alert type) might be good alternatives.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Republic View Post
    What do you experienced folks feel about Quikclot? I keep that in my range bag along with some trauma bandages.
    No personal experience with that product. Appears to be effective at reducing substantial superficial hemorrhage (superficial in that a projectile wound to the aorta will bleed regardless of topical application). I’ve used an array of topical pro-coagulants in the OR and they can be quite helpful. Sounds good for your application as a range disaster kit.

Nickname
    Stephen
    Visit Freq
    0.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I got a little from every post. Aside from helping me and my cause I was hoping this was be a little enlightening to all of us who take this subject to lightly.

I think a life alert may be in my future but for nowI plan to have my done nearby. Much to my families dismay, I had a bad habit of going "off the air" for days at a time so being more fone responsible is good all around.

Concerning broken ribs from coughing. The Docs have told me in most cases there is something that precipitates the cough//broken ribs but it is very posible to break ribs by coughing alone. Sounds ridiculous but its an experience I wouldn't wish on anybody.

Thank you Red knife and other in the medical field. What exacting to have on hand is one aspect I was interested in. I know I can buy a first aid kit but I want more than plastic scissors and first aid cream. gauze, serious pads, wraps, etc is what I was interested in knowing about.

Again, thank you to all. Sorry about the late response but I'm still less than 100% and tend to do things on my timetable.
    STRIKER

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

What exacting to have on hand is one aspect I was interested in. I know I can buy a first aid kit but I want more than plastic scissors and first aid cream. gauze, serious pads, wraps, etc is what I was interested in knowing about.
    You have the link and a video to a fairly comprehensive first aid kit for many injuries beyond the common ones needing a band-aid. Is that the information that your looking for?

https://surviveware.com/products/sur...-first-aid-kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=D721hkIhYxU

Nickname
    Stephen
    Visit Freq
    0.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jeff,

Sorry if I mislead in any way. Yes, if left to my own devices I'd end up with the plastic scissors bag but with all the leads you kind folks left me with, I'm sure I'll get something worthy of the task.

Thanks
    STRIKER

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No problem Stephen, we want you to get the information that you need and make an informed decision. BTW, keep that cell phone handy and keep in touch with your family daily.

Quote Originally Posted by striker View Post
    Jeff,

Sorry if I mislead in any way. Yes, if left to my own devices I'd end up with the plastic scissors bag but with all the leads you kind folks left me with, I'm sure I'll get something worthy of the task.

Thanks

Nickname
    Allan (69)
    Visit Freq
    3.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I don't keep an extensive first aid kit in my shop compared to what I keep in my boat. Just tape and gauze, bandaids, and of course good splinter forceps. I am only 300 ft. to the house and have my cell phone in my pocket. It is common that people flip out when the see blood and greatly over estimate blood loss. There are very few bleeding wounds that can't be controlled with pressure until the blood clots or you get professional help. I'm not familiar with the over the counter blood clotting products either but would caution that they may damage sensitive tissue and actually delay healing if they work by cauterizing tissue.