Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Locations) Ad #1

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40
  1. #16
    User
    DQ
    ntboardman's Avatar
    Nickname
    Nick
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Indian Land, SC
    Posts
    53
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    12
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Scuteri View Post
    The festool tracks are not interchangeable with any of the brands that I know of.
    The makita and Festool use pretty much the same track, the dewalt is the only one that doesn't use the same track from the major brands.

  2. The following user says Thank You to ntboardman for this useful post:


  3. #17
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    woodworker2000's Avatar
    Nickname
    Christopher
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    706
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    81
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    I've been using the EZSmart track saw system from EurekaZone for several years with no complaints. You can find more information here: http://www.eurekazone.com/default.asp

  4. The following user says Thank You to woodworker2000 for this useful post:


  5. #18
    Senior User
    DQ

    Nickname
    Jim
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lexington, SC
    Posts
    1,376
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    19
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    I bought a DeWalt track saw kit with 106 and ~59 inch tracks close to 10 years ago and later bought a ~40 inch track for it. I like it a lot. I use a Rigid shop vac with either a dust deputy or a quasi HEPA filter (if working away from my shop). The vac with the cyclone has it's stock filter which isn't quite as fine. I think dust pickup is great. I also have the router attachment which fits my PC 690 routers fine. Works well. The DeWalt blade change mechanism is my only complaint. It got stubborn on me, was probably clogged with dust, and when I forced it, it broke a little piece of the aluminum housing. The plus side is the blade change doesn't require all the pulls and tugs it used to. Saw still works fine. I used it over the weekend to cut a stair stringer. I cut the others with my Milwaukee circular saw and noticed I was fighting it a bit. I cut one stringer and got it to fit then traced two more off it. The traced lines were not completely straight because the first stringers cuts were not completely straight. The last one went much better with the track saw. Stock 48 tooth blade was fine.

    I wanted the long track and I think the DeWalt with both long and short track is much cheaper than the Festool and a bit cheaper than the Makita. I wouldn't want to drag the long track around but for in shop use, it is very handy. I use it to straighten boards.

    Besides being cheaper, both the Makita and DeWalt have more powerful motors than the smaller Festool. Some have complained about the Festool in even dimensional lumber. Something to consider.

    Whichever saw you get, get the DeWalt track clamps. They are much better. The main advantage of the Festool is many more "extras" are available. It's possible to do everything with the other saws but it may mean you have to make something yourself that you could easily purchase for the Festool. But for making accurate cuts in sheet goods or hardwood or even dimensional lumber, my DeWalt works great. The old Milwaukee has been gathering dust and I see that trend continuing.

  6. The following 2 users say Thank You to JimD :


  7. #19
    Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Jeremy Scuteri's Avatar
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge, NC
    Posts
    3,724
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    304
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by ntboardman View Post
    The makita and Festool use pretty much the same track, the dewalt is the only one that doesn't use the same track from the major brands.
    Thanks for the correction, I didn't realize that. The festool saw is not compatible with the Grizzly track either. The wood whisperer shows that in his review.

  8. #20
    User old-delta's Avatar
    Nickname
    Wes
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    72
    Visit Freq
    0.62 visits/week
    Threads
    10
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    x2

    x3

  9. #21
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    478
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    26
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Im not really sure at this point. I borrowed a fEstool from a friend and was extremely impressed by the quality of cut.
    I'll admit I've never used one but my curiosity is if it's the blade not necessarily the saw. I'd like to use one to see.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  10. #22
    User
    DQ
    ntboardman's Avatar
    Nickname
    Nick
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Indian Land, SC
    Posts
    53
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    12
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Im not really sure at this point. I borrowed a fEstool from a friend and was extremely impressed by the quality of cut. I am wondering are the tracks interchangeable? can you buy a "cheap" track and use a Festool on it?
    Having used both, its mostly the blade that makes a difference. Day 1, i put a diablo blade in mine and it cuts the exact same as my father in laws festool No disrespect to festool, but other products seem to be doing the same thing at a better price.

  11. #23
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mc Leansville, NC
    Posts
    1,798
    Visit Freq
    4.50 visits/week
    Threads
    67
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by ntboardman View Post
    Having used both, its mostly the blade that makes a difference. Day 1, i put a diablo blade in mine and it cuts the exact same as my father in laws festool No disrespect to festool, but other products seem to be doing the same thing at a better price.
    This is basically my question. Having used the Festool, with exceptional results, Im wondering if the other brands can maintain such a perfect cutline. Im not sure if the others have zero clearance to the track as the festool seems to and will the others stay that way over time. Will the Festool for that matter?. I was able to create a glue edge joint on several pieces of maple 2.25 thick x 9 feet long and glue them up with no glue line. Im not sure I couldve done this on a long bed jointer even. The cut was not only straight and smooth, it was dead on perpendicular to the top face so my glue up was dead flat. Very impressive!!

  12. #24
    User
    DQ
    ntboardman's Avatar
    Nickname
    Nick
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Indian Land, SC
    Posts
    53
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    12
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    This is basically my question. Having used the Festool, with exceptional results, Im wondering if the other brands can maintain such a perfect cutline. Im not sure if the others have zero clearance to the track as the festool seems to and will the others stay that way over time. Will the Festool for that matter?. I was able to create a glue edge joint on several pieces of maple 2.25 thick x 9 feet long and glue them up with no glue line. Im not sure I couldve done this on a long bed jointer even. The cut was not only straight and smooth, it was dead on perpendicular to the top face so my glue up was dead flat. Very impressive!!
    Sounds like you're in love with the festool and getting a different system, no matter the quality is going to leave you wondering if you should have just gone with the festool. If that's the case, get the festool and enjoy Everyone's here to enjoy the craft, so if the festool is going to give you that enjoyment, go for it. I love my dewalt and would have regretted getting the festool since i have so many large batteries for the dewalt system. Others may disagree, but to me the right tool is the tool that makes you feel confident in the work you're doing, not necessarily what is the most or least economical.

  13. #25
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mc Leansville, NC
    Posts
    1,798
    Visit Freq
    4.50 visits/week
    Threads
    67
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by ntboardman View Post
    Sounds like you're in love with the festool and getting a different system, no matter the quality is going to leave you wondering if you should have just gone with the festool. If that's the case, get the festool and enjoy Everyone's here to enjoy the craft, so if the festool is going to give you that enjoyment, go for it. I love my dewalt and would have regretted getting the festool since i have so many large batteries for the dewalt system. Others may disagree, but to me the right tool is the tool that makes you feel confident in the work you're doing, not necessarily what is the most or least economical.
    Oh trust me, Im well aware that the most expensive is not always the best, thats why Im asking for alternate opinions.

  14. #26
    User
    DQ
    ntboardman's Avatar
    Nickname
    Nick
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Indian Land, SC
    Posts
    53
    Visit Freq
    2.50 visits/week
    Threads
    12
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Oh trust me, Im well aware that the most expensive is not always the best, thats why Im asking for alternate opinions.
    Sorry i think my previous statement came out the wrong way. I was trying to say the best option is the one that makes you feel like you have the right tool in your hand! its why i picked the dewalt, but why others stick with festool. Nothing to do with price just trying to help you factor price less into the equation than getting the right tool.

  15. The following user says Thank You to ntboardman for this useful post:


  16. #27
    Co-Director of Outreach Corporate Member
    DQ
    Barry W's Avatar
    Nickname
    Barry
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Lawsonville, NC
    Posts
    803
    Visit Freq
    5.46 visits/week
    Threads
    74
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Chris, I understand how you feel about selecting a track saw. I was in a similar dilemma when researching which track saw to buy, although I was somewhat predisposed to buy a Makita because of the other Makita cordless tools I own. In researching my purchase I found many reviews and comparisons, several of which were biased for a specific brand. A comparison I found from the fall edition of Woodworker's Journal appears to be a fair comparison of six popular track saw brands. This may help in making your decision: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/track-saw-review/
    "Nihil est melius quam vita diligentissima" (Nothing is better than a most diligent life.)
    -James Murray

  17. The following 3 users say Thank You to Barry W :


  18. #28
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    478
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    26
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Chris, your claims and experience with the Festool is very impressive. I've never heard tell of using their track saw to cut that thick of material, let alone Maple. This is abuse and not what it's designed for but now my curiosity is peaked as to what other manufacturers can do the same.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  19. #29
    Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Jeremy Scuteri's Avatar
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge, NC
    Posts
    3,724
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    304
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    The quality of the track is critical for the operation that Chris has described. I used my festool tracksaw to put a straight edge on a panel for breadboard ends. Once I went to fit the breadboard end, I found there was some curvature in the cut. I contacted Festool and they sent me a new track. It had the same issue. I don't know of any others that have experienced this issue.

    Also it sounds like you used the TS75 with a larger depth of cut compared to the TS55. Do the other brands offer something like the TS75?

  20. #30
    Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Jeremy Scuteri's Avatar
    Nickname
    Jeremy (37)
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Oak Ridge, NC
    Posts
    3,724
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    304
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: Non Festool track saws

    Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Co. View Post
    ...I've never heard tell of using their track saw to cut that thick of material, let alone Maple. This is abuse and not what it's designed for but now my curiosity is peaked as to what other manufacturers can do the same.
    Why do you say this is abuse and not what it is designed for?

  21. The following 2 users say Thank You to Jeremy Scuteri :


Similar Threads

  1. RDU CL - Festool plunge cut saw & track - $250 (raleigh)
    By Henry W in forum Found for Sale/Hot Deals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-07-2017, 11:12 PM
  2. Track Saws versus Table Saws?
    By BeachBoy in forum Power Tools and Their Use
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 12-16-2014, 01:51 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-16-2014, 03:26 PM
  4. Scheppach versus Festool track saw
    By scsmith42 in forum Reviews
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
  5. Blades for Ts 75 festool track saw for mdf / hdf?
    By kooshball in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2013, 04:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •