DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

porch ceiling

I'm getting ready to do a project that's been back burner for a while now and I have several questions for the group.
    First the setting- the existing porch ceiling was done in drywall with a textured paint finish. No priming was done which is evident as when the textured paint comes down in sheets.

Goal- I'd like to do a T&G wood ceiling, species TBD ( that's one of the questions)

The questions-
    Finish- painted or natural, I've seen both and painted seems more common/ traditional but depending on species I could go either way.
    Any pros/cons other than appearance?

Species- I'm a fan of cypress especially with a natural finish. Probably wouldn't go that way if I'm going to paint. Any reason not just to go with pine if its painted? Other varieties to consider?

Sources- any rec's? What ever I use I'd like it to be milled and ready to go. T&G, beaded.

Thickness- It's a ceiling, what's typical for this kind of application?

Finish- should I seal the back before I put it up or just finish what's exposed?

Prep- The simplest thing would be to just strip the loose paint and go over the existing drywall, but that seems like a shortcut I may regret. Thoughts?

Orientation- long way or short way? Most I see are oriented the long way which would make sense if I've torn down the drywall. If I leave it, why not go short way?

Sorry for all the questions- I've finally gotten off the dime on this and want to be ready to roll when the weather gets nicer.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: porch ceiling

Lots of valid questions from A-Z, but a few pics and perspectives of the entire porch along with the ceilings will get more useful answers.

3. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    4.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Steve one more question - you say "Porch" so I envision the thing hangin off the front or back of the house - since you said it is drywall and painted - I am guessing this is "fully enclosed?" In shorter terms - is weather a factor?
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if it’s a spell plucked from a sorcerer’s hand – Paul Sellers

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

sorry- no pics. its a front porch. runs left to right across the full width of the house. brick house. painted trim. what else do you need to know?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hank- the only dry wall part is the ceiling in question. The front wall of the house is unpainted brick with windows, shutters and door. Windows, shutters and door are all painted. Porch railings are painted.
    The porch is open along the front and both ends. Front steps go up the center of the long side( front).

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    4.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

DEFINATELY pull down the drywall!
    I believe (and it is just that, a belief - no proof) that long-term you will have to pull the drywall anyway...

Plus, a beautiful wood ceiling (even if you must paint it) is better than drywall...

What would REALLY be cool is T&G Cypress, but I am not sure of the cost to do that!

Also, was thinking the same thing - long-way or short way... hmmm (I think is depends on the look you want)
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if it’s a spell plucked from a sorcerer’s hand – Paul Sellers

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    3.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Exterior drywall application? Sorry, I'm not buying it.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Hank- you're confirming my biases!

I think once the drywall's down the option to go short way is gone unless I add some supports to nail to.
    I'm assuming the rafters are running short way, so ceiling will have to run long.

More I think about it, it will probably be no more work to pull the drywall down than to scrape the paint off it. There's sure to be a couple spots that won't let go.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Phil Soper (68)
    Visit Freq
    8.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by smallboat View Post
    I'm getting ready to do a project that's been back burner for a while now and I have several questions for the group.
    First the setting- the existing porch ceiling was done in drywall with a textured paint finish. No priming was done which is evident as when the textured paint comes down in sheets.

Goal- I'd like to do a T&G wood ceiling, species TBD ( that's one of the questions)

The questions-
    Finish- painted or natural, I've seen both and painted seems more common/ traditional but depending on species I could go either way.
    Any pros/cons other than appearance? I would go with paint - sky blue

Species- I'm a fan of cypress especially with a natural finish. Probably wouldn't go that way if I'm going to paint. Any reason not just to go with pine if its painted? Other varieties to consider? Painted pine - monty suppliers

Sources- any rec's? What ever I use I'd like it to be milled and ready to go. T&G, beaded.local lumberyard

Thickness- It's a ceiling, what's typical for this kind of application? 5/8" min

Finish- should I seal the back before I put it up or just finish what's exposed? yes seal the back

Prep- The simplest thing would be to just strip the loose paint and go over the existing drywall, but that seems like a shortcut I may regret. Thoughts?Nah

Orientation- long way or short way? Most I see are oriented the long way which would make sense if I've torn down the drywall. If I leave it, why not go short way?Remove the drywall and run the ceiling the long way

Sorry for all the questions- I've finally gotten off the dime on this and want to be ready to roll when the weather gets nicer.
    It is already nice

11. The following 2 users say Thank You to Phil S :

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I went with the pine v groove boards from HD. I was going to paint, but I read a lot of recommendations against trying to seal the knots as they will eventually telegraph through the paint—especially lighter colors (which has happened with most of the white trim that installed after the ceiling).

I ended up staining the ceiling boards before nailing them to the ceiling. I had heard horror stories about the mess from others trying to stain the boards after putting up the boards. It probably took longer to finish on the ground, but every spot on the boards are covered and I didn’t get a sore neck and back from staining overhead.

13. The following user says Thank You to zdorsch for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Phil !

To satisfy Jeff and Bill's curiosity and help anyone envision the issue I went ahead and took a pic.
    This is the mess I'm trying to remedy.
    Fortunately the rest of the house is put together to a higher standard.

15. The following user says Thank You to smallboat for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by smallboat View Post
    Thanks Phil !

To satisfy Jeff and Bill's curiosity and help anyone envision the issue I went ahead and took a pic.
    This is the mess I'm trying to remedy.
    Fortunately the rest of the house is put together to a higher standard.
    Not too sure, smallboat, but I remember a product called cement board designed for exterior use. Could your ceiling be that product?
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Phil- I'll agree that today was nice- even wonderful. Tshirt runnning at 6am in January? I'll take it. But that stuff we've had over the past week or so. Not so nice. I'll wait until its consistently above freezing. You can call me a whimp, I don't mind.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    smallboat
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Raymond- sure looks like drywall to me. check out the photo (it may not have been posted yet when you wrote) You can see the screw heads sunken into it. Not sure, but I don't think you'd get that with cement board.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Richard
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Pull down the drywall, go long ways, back prime the materials, 5/8" thick, local lumber yard, paint it either Sky Blue or a pale green this is a southern thing. Oh and just use pine it holds up well under those conditions. Good luck and pray for better weather.
    Nothing beats a try but a failure, failure is an opportunity to learn.
    http://graywolfwoodworks.wordpress.com/

20. The following user says Thank You to Graywolf for this useful post: