DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Splitting Time

Its that time of the year for felling, bucking and splitting. I had my eyes on a 14" straight maple and now with the sap down its time to get it.

I don't have a splitting machine so its the old exercise tools. The straight grain maple is a joy to split when its green. I'm good for 90 minutes not all day.

These are just a few of the shorter billets for arm chair posts. I'll turn out a dozen or two and use the rest of the tree for legs and stretchers. Maple is my favorite wood for chair parts and I have been finding some nice red maple on the piedmont lately. In the past, I have harvested my maple in the New England area. I was bent on sugar maple and I still have a friend of two in NH and Vt that boil sugar and they keep an eye out for select cutting when the tree aged out.

At my age I just don't have the get up and go to haul walnut up and maple back on my trips to NH.

I'm not making chairs at a furious pace these days and I don't need to stock pile chair parts with the inventory I already have on hand. Still, I'm driven by the seasonal habit to do some of this in the winter months. The wood is just so much better and stable. Yes I read my almanac and I watch the moon cycle but that's another story.

you can see where it goes on the 2 shots below it attaches the arm to the seat
    yes the old looking finish is black over red but I put fine silica in the base mix so it "whites" with age and makes it look oxidized and really old.

later

2. The following 12 users say Thank You to danmart77 :

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Splitting Time

Heirloom quality chairs! Nice work on all fronts.
    www.militaryappreciationday.org
    The largest all-volunteer, "take the troops fishing" organization in the world. Headquartered right here in North Carolina!

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I had my eyes on a 14" straight maple and now with the sap down its time to get it.
    A NC red maple (soft maple, Acer sacchirinum). Where'd you find it pray tell? A 14" diameter to rive with your froe. A few WIP pics of that riving process will be helpful too. Similar to this...

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    A NC red maple (soft maple, Acer sacchirinum). Where'd you find it pray tell? A 14" diameter to rive with your froe. A few WIP pics of that riving process will be helpful too. Similar to this...

I don't use the froe much on short stuff. In the photo it is sitting in the cart. I had been using it to split long pieces of oak I had sitting around. I split the 20" and shorter maple with the axe or maul. My froe works well for an old leaf spring but the double headed axe is just faster for me and does a good job for rough work.

I get frustrated using the froe like you are showing in the photo. Even for short stuff when I use the froe I use a break to hold it still and not my free hand doing a balancing act. Just me.

Red maple and its is anything but soft. Found here on the hills of Orange Co.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My correction of me. Soft maple (aka red maple) is Acer rubrum, not Acer saccharinum.

Red maple and its is anything but soft. Found here on the hills of Orange Co.
    Yep, it's similar to cherry and black walnut.

A riving brake makes things a lot easier and improves the leverage so both hands are free and clear. Mine is based on a Peter Galbert design and it works nicely.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (66)
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

that break looks really handy. a small one is really all I would need for 80 Percent of what I do. The one you have might be an option?? I would use the black pipe with my pipe clamps when not using the break. Just kidding.

Are you doing shingles?

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Are you doing shingles?
    You got it and I need about 15 bundles of them!

No, I was curious about riving wood parts from logs and was beginning to experiment (had some fresh red maple in the yet to be woodpile for starters). I made a few rough "boards" and a couple of spoons for the #### of it.

Then I got frisky and tried riving some 30" l fresh green red oak last fall.

Last edited by Jeff; 01-13-2018 at 12:32 PM.