Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Crib Project from Design to Completion - In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    That crib is looking awesome. Great craftsmanship!
    Thank you!

This weekend I was able to finish up the sides, install the threaded inserts and get it all bolted together for the first time. I'm very happy with how it fit up and it is rock solid. I'm just working on wrapping up the trim work now and then I will spray shellac on all of the pieces. The mattress support frame will bolt directly to the legs with the same threaded inserts.

-Bromley

2. The following 2 users say Thank You to mbromley :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Nicely done from the design concept to the finished piece for your first child. Is this going to be one of those 3-in-1 convertible beds that will be used beyond infancy? I don't recall the long term plan.

4. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Nicely done from the design concept to the finished piece for your first child. Is this going to be one of those 3-in-1 convertible beds that will be used beyond infancy? I don't recall the long term plan.
    Thanks! Yes the sides bolt to the front and back so that I can eventually turn it into a headboard and footboard. That will obviously require making some side rails and cross slats, but it is doable for sure. It will stay in the crib configuration for a handful of years as we plan to have multiple kids.

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Bromley, Are you using shellac as the final topcoat finish?

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    Bromley, Are you using shellac as the final topcoat finish?
    Yep that's the plan! Any recommendations?

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I’m primarily a fan of period furniture design (17th, 18th and very early 19th century) so finishes like bare wood, oils, and shellac are what I like for being period correct.

I really don’t know what would be the ideal finish for this piece. As for shellac, I’ve never thought of it a a good finish for water or some chemical resistance. I’m certain water and alcohol will damage it but I would consider it very safe since I believe it’s used in foods.

When you were doing your research, what was the recommended (CPSC or an actual “expert” versus internet dribble) finish for an infants crib?

Also, what types of cleaners will be used? Is bleach and water still a mainstay?

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    I’m primarily a fan of period furniture design (17th, 18th and very early 19th century) so finishes like bare wood, oils, and shellac are what I like for being period correct.

I really don’t know what would be the ideal finish for this piece. As for shellac, I’ve never thought of it a a good finish for water or some chemical resistance. I’m certain water and alcohol will damage it but I would consider it very safe since I believe it’s used in foods.

When you were doing your research, what was the recommended (CPSC or an actual “expert” versus internet dribble) finish for an infants crib?

Also, what types of cleaners will be used? Is bleach and water still a mainstay?

It's very difficult to discern actually requirements/recommendations from the ever so popular forum knowledge. However it seems the overwhelming majority recommends either waterlox or shellac. I spoke with some knowledgeable guys at woodcraft who recommended shellac as well. I figured it will be easier to spray and touch up if needed and most importantly it is safe.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Both dewaxed shellac and Waterlox Original Sealer/Finish will be fine and acceptable as safe finishes after fully cured (like all food-safe finishes). Both are durable enough and easily repaired if necessary without a major refinishing effort.

As for shellac, Iíve never thought of it a a good finish for water or some chemical resistance. Iím certain water and alcohol will damage it but I would consider it very safe since I believe itís used in foods.

Dewaxed shellac has much better chemical resistance than those with wax, however, don't use products containing ammonia for cleaning since it will dissolve shellac (don't know about very dilute bleach though).

Zinsser SealCoat is dewaxed (clear, 2lb cut) or you can buy dewaxed shellac flakes and mix your 1-2 lb cut in DNA for spraying or brushing.

http://www.shellacfinishes.com

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Awesome thanks for the info! I did pick up some Zinsser SealCoat, but haven't tested spraying it yet. Do most just spray it right out of the can? or thin it down some with DNA?

This past weekend was another big one. I managed to wrap up the crib build and just have the top coat left. Initially I wasn't sure how I was going to do the curved top caps for the side pieces, but they ended up going very well. I traced the top of the side piece and cut the center piece. Planed it to the same thickness and then glued on a piece on either side and used a flush trim bit to even up the top. It slid over the top of the sides perfectly and is a nice detail. There are three positions that the mattress support can be bolted into to allow for adjustment. I gave it the obligatory test and stood on it and it is rock solid. I'm finally nearing the end of this one and then I have to get started on the matching dresser.

-Bromley

12. The following 2 users say Thank You to mbromley :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You've sure done a nice job.

I traced the top of the side piece and cut the center piece. Planed it to the same thickness and then glued on a piece on either side and used a flush trim bit to even up the top
    I'm not following how you did this but perhaps a step by step with pictures or sketches will help me. I have no idea how I'd even begin doing these cap rails.

The Zinsser SealCoat is a 2 lb cut and it sprays just fine through a 1.5 mm tip (Earlex HVLP). No harm thinning it 1:1 v/v to about 1 lb for spraying. Use very light coats to get good coverage and minimize runs and sags particularly on vertical surfaces.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You've sure done a nice job.

I'm not following how you did this but perhaps a step by step with pictures or sketches will help me. I have no idea how I'd even begin doing these cap rails.
    After reading that description again I completely understand the confusion. I'll put some diagrams together to better illustrate my technique.

Thanks for the advice on the shellac! Is a 1 lb cut more or less likely to sag? I plan to spray the four piece individually and lay them down on a set of sawhorses so most of the surface is horizontal and keep the coats very light.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The viscosity of a 2 lb cut vs a 1 lb cut is +/- almost the same so sagging with either is possible.

I plan to spray the four piece individually and lay them down on a set of sawhorses so most of the surface is horizontal and keep the coats very light.
    Good plan, but the spray gun prefers to be vertical for uniform spray patterns.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Good plan, but the spray gun prefers to be vertical for uniform spray patterns.
    True that is a valid point. I'll mess around on a sheet of plywood first in different orientations to see what will work best for me. Tonight I should start spraying

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by mbromley View Post
    True that is a valid point. I'll mess around on a sheet of plywood first in different orientations to see what will work best for me. Tonight I should start spraying
    Whoa! Search "shellac blushing" and how to avoid it. The weather forecast is calling for more rain in an already soggy air mass so don't apply shellac when the dew point and temperature are within 15-20 degrees of one another.

https://www.wral.com/weather_current...ions/13264720/

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Whoa! Search "shellac blushing" and how to avoid it. The weather forecast is calling for more rain in an already soggy air mass so don't apply shellac when the dew point and temperature are within 15-20 degrees of one another.

https://www.wral.com/weather_current...ions/13264720/
    Thanks for the heads up! I'll hold off until the end of the week then and hope things clear up