DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Crib Project from Design to Completion - In Progress

I had a little more time to work in the shop this weekend and was able to get both sides fitted up. There was a lot of hand work involved here to get all of the slats fit right and tight with the curved upper rail. I'm very happy with the final results. Just need to add the details to the slats at the router table, but the hard part is complete. Onto the front next...

-Bromley

2. The following 2 users say Thank You to mbromley :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Those curves look great. Moving right along.

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Wow! Very nice job.

Board of Directors
    Secretary
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    5.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Co. View Post
    I use an oak mallet I made years ago.

The mortising chisel I had was one I'd picked up at woodworking shop. I simply do not recall the brand. I also say "had" because I have no idea where it is.

As for bevel chisels, I use some Stanley Fat Max and a variety of "no name" and some old Stanley chisels my dad has had for around 40 years. I beat the snot out of my chisels.

Paul's video was pretty much a demonstration thing so you have to take it with a grain of salt.
    Bill,
    That is not a demonstration - that is how Paul cuts a mortise and teaches his students to chop a mortise. (a regular bevel chisel, not with a pig sticker! ha ha)
    People are amazed as a shaving rises from the throat of a plane as if itís a spell plucked from a sorcererís hand Ė Paul Sellers

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Its been a few weeks, but I finally had a full weekend to spend in the shop. It was a very productive weekend and I got quite a bit more done on this crib build. I'm just working on getting all the major joinery done now and I will go back and add the routed details. Everything is just dry fit at this point (I also despise glue up as it stresses me out so I'm putting it off). I did change up the design on the back frame and panel such that the trim detail is routed into the rail and stiles. I'm hoping a few nights this week I can get into the garage and get the whole rear assembly put together. I plan to sand and pre finish as many pieces and sub assemblies as I can so I don't have to deal with all the corners.

-Bromley

7. The following user says Thank You to mbromley for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quick question... I still need to purchase some plywood for the 3 back panels. Any recommendations on a plywood that would match the grain/color of the poplar? Can I buy a poplar ply? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I thought that you were going to prime and paint the new crib? If so, just about any regular plywood will work.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You're right originally I was, but I'm going to tryout a transtint or something similar and go for a greyish tone. I've really taken my time on this build and would hate to cover it all up with paint (as someone advised earlier). I need to pick up some finish and start experimenting with it. I've read that possibly birch could work. I did find poplar ply on home Depot but it's 50$ to ship it and not stocked locally.

11. The following user says Thank You to mbromley for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Since you are tinting, you have some leeway on the match. I guess I’d try baltic birch or maple ply which should be available in your area. Shiplapped solid poplar or raised panels would be an option if you think you can make it work with your design. I wouldn’t bother with HD for this given the typical quality of HD ply, or lack thereof.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Anyone have experience on using transtint on poplar? I'm thinking I might try to spray it with my earlex 5500 as it would certainly make things easier.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Travis
    Visit Freq
    4.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by mbromley View Post
    You're right originally I was, but I'm going to tryout a transtint or something similar and go for a greyish tone. I've really taken my time on this build and would hate to cover it all up with paint (as someone advised earlier). I need to pick up some finish and start experimenting with it. I've read that possibly birch could work. I did find poplar ply on home Depot but it's 50$ to ship it and not stocked locally.
    You can get different types of plywood from Wurth Wood group or Horizon Forest products. Hardwood store is not that far away in Gibsonville.

Transtint is good stuff. My only advice is to wear gloves when mixing as if you get it on your hands it does not wash off easily. Don't ask how I know this.....

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by mbromley View Post
    Anyone have experience on using transtint on poplar? I'm thinking I might try to spray it with my earlex 5500 as it would certainly make things easier.
    The Earlex HVLP will make your life easier for sure. DNA and dye is non-grain raising.

I like TransTint dyes but have no idea how to get a gray tone or color. Maybe jet black diluted 1:100 or more in DNA and sneaking up on the tone drop by drop or gallon by gallon.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I purchased some Transfast in grey to try out. Unfortunately the transfast is only water soluble so I will have to raise the grain and sand first if that is the direction I end up going. If it gets me the color I want then its not too big of a deal.

I worked in the shop all day today and was able to get most of the back assembled. Notching and cutting the rear miter joints is way more tedious than I thought to get nice and tight joints. I just have the two end stiles left then all of the major joinery is done on the crib. After that it is just routing some profiles and trim work.

-Bromley

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Bromley, In the photo above I can see undulations from the thickness planer. I’d deal with all of that before glue up.

Are you sanding or using a hand plane for your final surface? You may not want to mix the two together. If you do both, you will probably want to make sure the final surfaces are either all from sanding or all off the hand plane. It may impact even absorption of the dyes.

Also, If you’re sanding, based on my use of water base dyes, I don’t think you’ll need to go beyond 150/180 grit. Don’t recall if Transtint addresses that in their instructions.

BTW, the few close ups show some pretty meticulous workmanship.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Bromley (30)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    Bromley, In the photo above I can see undulations from the thickness planer. I’d deal with all of that before glue up.

Are you sanding or using a hand plane for your final surface? You may not want to mix the two together. If you do both, you will probably want to make sure the final surfaces are either all from sanding or all off the hand plane. It may impact even absorption of the dyes.

Also, If you’re sanding, based on my use of water base dyes, I don’t think you’ll need to go beyond 150/180 grit. Don’t recall if Transtint addresses that in their instructions.

BTW, the few close ups show some pretty meticulous workmanship.
    Thanks! I've certainly taken my time on this one. Learned a lot from past mistakes as well as tips and tricks or new techniques I've picked up on through reading.

I plan to sand to 150 prior to glue up then give it a once over with 180 after glue up. From what I remember in the instructions it states 150 to 180. The transfast dye arrive so hopefully in the next week I can give the color a test.