Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Burial Urns For Veterans Project

This Urn is the last thing the family in grief sees of their loved one,if interment is the end result, or if they want to keep the urn with the ashes on a mantle or display, The Best we can do is the least we can do.
    I'm not suggesting that we do anything less than a good job for our vets and their families. You seem to be suggesting that I should just slap together a box and call it an urn fit for a king.

LOCK miters are a POSITIVE location which self aligns with or without glue. It also basically squares itself, all of which in the end makes assembly much much easier.If you have a method that does the same and produces a look alike urn there is no issue with you using it.
    Locked rabbets also square up the box and make assembly easy but they have 3/8" of exposed end grain. Is that ugly and unacceptable for this project? Some folks have volunteered to help making the urns but they may not have the capability to make locked miters.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The best argument for a mitered corners is the one-board construction appearance of the grain wrapping around three of the four corners. The link below will show the effect we were going for on the burial urns.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showp...sideview&cat=6
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

3. The following 3 users say Thank You to Raymond :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Was NOT implying that at all.As the pic from Raymond shows, If you have a better and simpler method to achieve those results, all for it. I went for the continuous grain wrap,mitered corner because it accomplished all of that in one operation.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post
    Was NOT implying that at all.As the pic from Raymond shows, If you have a better and simpler method to achieve those results, all for it. I went for the continuous grain wrap,mitered corner because it accomplished all of that in one operation.
    Jack, thanks and I understand. I also don't want to flog a dead horse either. The locked rabbet idea doesn't work for a continuous grain wrap so +1 to the mitered corners for that look which is nice for decorative box designs. I know that you've made a lot of the urns for flat pack shipping and do they all have that continuous grain wrap when leaving your shop for assembly by the cemetery staff who know zero about grain wrapping? Who's supplying us with the boards for the 4 sides (40" l x 9"-10" w x 3/4" t) to guarantee that grain wrap for all of the boxes? Just curious.

I'm not being cantankerous either.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Jack, thanks and I understand. I also don't want to flog a dead horse either. The locked rabbet idea doesn't work for a continuous grain wrap so +1 to the mitered corners for that look which is nice for decorative box designs. I know that you've made a lot of the urns for flat pack shipping and do they all have that continuous grain wrap when leaving your shop for assembly by the cemetery staff who know zero about grain wrapping? Who's supplying us with the boards for the 4 sides (40" l x 9"-10" w x 3/4" t) to guarantee that grain wrap for all of the boxes? Just curious.

I'm not being cantankerous either.
    Jeff, the flat-packed sets were sent out that way for storage purposes only. We do not give flat-packed urns to anyone other then our members to assemble. The cemetery staff, funeral homes, and family members only receive fully assembled urns.

Our intention (with the flat-packed urns) is for the urns to be easily transported and stored until we need to handle them. I believe we have never given nor issued a flat-packed urn to anyone other than an NCWW member to assemble. We have both assembled and flat-packed urns in storage at Klingspors in Hickory.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

7. The following user says Thank You to Raymond for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

When the project began Jeff, I made the urns from my own lumber supply, mostly white oak. Others at various times have also built urns to the original specifications using their own lumber. As for the donors of the lumber currently, I'll have to let Skymaster Jack fill in that information. Jack has done a great job with the grain wrap, and the urns are marked accordingly for assembly. Jack has made sure all the correct Kreg and regular screws are included. The member that assembles the urn needs to use their own glue, and sanding is required, albeit little, before applying a finish from their own stock. There are so many people involved in the project, I can't begin to remember and name them all. All NC State and National cemeteries have received and stock fully completed burial urns. This is not something they are required to do, so we try to make this project the least taxing on their time and efforts. We are indebted to the cemetery administrators for being willing to participate in the project. Coleman at Klingspors has helped us with some finish and hardware for the project also, as well as storing urns for us at the Hickory Store.
    Some things we could really use help on is designing a brochure for the project, and then distributing them to the various veterans organizations local posts. I am trying on these things but I lack the knowledge of how to accomplish these things, being only semi-computer literate. If anyone could help, please give a shout right here!
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Bruce. I have a clearer picture now.

All NC State and National cemeteries have received and stock fully completed burial urns.
    Jack has done a great job with the grain wrap, and the urns are marked accordingly for assembly.
    Jeremy Scuteri's wife volunteered awhile back to do the brochure but needed clearer pictures and someone provided those but I don't know if the brochure ever got done. Contact Jeremy.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jeff, if you are past 21, cantankerous is normal and approved , I am so far past it that I am now allowed to be grouchy, and mentally deficient in addition.

For your info; The way I cut blanks for the urns to insure grain wrap is simple if you want to take a crack at them: the blanks are 9" long, 9"wide,9" high. So 1 x 10. i mark them out at 9", at each 9" mark i will throw a cross line so it goes onto the next pc, the next mark gets 2 cross, then 3, then 4.
    lock miters require 2 vertical pc and 2 horizontal cuts. mark one connects 2 boards, and all following marks cross 2 boards. I then just run IE; one 1 vertical, second 1 horizontal that wraps that corner, and the rest follow the same program. Not as confusing as it sounds, once you do 1 or 2 you will get into the flow. Too bad you are 1 1/2 from me. That said when I am getting ready to run another batch if you want to come down and see or help just holler.
    Last edited by Skymaster; 12-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Skymaster View Post
    Jeff, if you are past 21, cantankerous is normal and approved , I am so far past it that I am now allowed to be grouchy, and mentally deficient in addition.

Jack, you have a 7 year head start on me (a cantankerous 70 years November 3, 2017). My wife says that I'm a grump but that's a rite of passage I guess.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Neal (57)
    Visit Freq
    8.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sawman101 View Post
    Some things we could really use help on is designing a brochure for the project, and then distributing them to the various veterans organizations local posts. I am trying on these things but I lack the knowledge of how to accomplish these things, being only semi-computer literate. If anyone could help, please give a shout right here!
    Bruce, there is a flyer in the library, https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...do=file&id=436. I don't know if you were referring to having this updated, replaced, or other.

I have no graphics design skills, I know there are others here that do not suffer that affliction!

Neal

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Bruce, there is a flyer in the library, https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...do=file&id=436. I don't know if you were referring to having this updated, replaced, or other.

I have no graphics design skills, I know there are others here that do not suffer that affliction!

Neal
    I made that one a couple years back and ran them on my desk top printer. The information needed some serious updating, thus the need for a new one. The original was simply an 8 1/2"x11" single page. What we're hoping to put together is a tri-fold brochure and have them printed off by one of the online companies for less than $.05 per piece.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.