Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Burial Urns For Veterans Project

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Raymond, way back in February I revised the plan for the 9 x 9 version and sent them off to Jack (I think) or was it Bruce? In any case, I've uploaded it. This should be the link:
    https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...do=file&id=439
    I didn't receive those plans Dave, and that's fine as Jack is cutting out the urn stock, and came up with those measurements so our urns would conform to requirements for Arlington National Cemetery, all State and National Cemetery Columbine requirements, and ground burial. We have and will continue to furnish burial urns for any NC veteran that will be interred in Arlington National Cemetery, a special resting place for those who have distinguished themselves above the call of duty. It is a very great honor for NCWW members to know our name and logo lie with these heroes, surrounded by thousands and thousands of our great nation's heroes. Thank you very much for your special help on this project Dave, just another instance of how our organization works together to make the project roll.
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    I was able to view the link last night, but like Rich, i now get an invalid link when trying to go to the plans.

has there been any discussions on having a workshop for others to help out with building of the urns?
    Our Energizer Bunny, Skymaster Jack, (He keeps going and going) has mass produced and distributed enough urns at this point to supply most everyone for an entire year. However, I think we should take it under advisement to have a workshop on a future date to again crank out urns and assemble them. So keep watch for something like that to happen. Thanks for the suggestion Neal!

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to sawman101 :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I've uploaded it. This should be the link:
    https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...do=file&id=439

It takes me to the Downloads section. But under Project Plans I only find 1 for burial urns and that's the same one that Raymond linked too above. Where's the 9" x 9" x 9" one hiding?

User
    Nickname
    larry
    Visit Freq
    1.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hi I would love to help out on this project. can you please send me the plans,or where to get them. also how they are finished,and where to deliver them. thanks poppop214 email 214namean@ gmail.com. larry

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Jack is cutting out the urn stock, and came up with those measurements so our urns would conform to requirements for Arlington National Cemetery, all State and National Cemetery Columbine requirements, and ground burial.
    Ok. What are those standard dimensions that everyone should be working with and where is the plan for those "standardized" urns?

Hello Jack, earth calling Jack!

Second point, several other members have expressed interest in helping out with the milling of the parts (shipping as flat packs to be assembled by the cemetery staff). Is that why we're using locked miters? A locked rabbet joint would be easier to make, just as sturdy, and also easy for non-woodworking folks to assemble from a flat pack. I, for one, don't have a router table and sure don't have locked miter router bits or slot cutters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V8MS0RDxCw

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    5.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sorry for the confusion. There was a typo in the plans so I removed them but got called away to work on an anesthesia machine before I could do more. (Critical life support had to take priority.) I just got home and fixed the typo. I've uploaded the new version of the file and edited my post with the correct link.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...do=file&id=440
    SketchUp Authorized Training Center

8. The following 5 users say Thank You to Dave Richards :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sawman101 View Post
    I know very little has been said lately about our Burial Urns Project, but it is alive and well and moving forward. We do get requests for burial urns on a regular basis, and I want to commend Jack (Skymaster) , Reggie (JackLeg), and Raymond (Raymond), for their dedication to making the project function and flow smoothly. The project is permanently featured as a benefit, on the NC American Legion web page, and also established with the NC Veterans Cemeteries. These men have carried the load, and helped to make NCVWW the great organization it is; my hat is off to these 3 giant people. (Yes Jack, I called you a giant!) We all want to thank all the rest of you for your great support in making this program possible. It is an honor for us to do this in honor of those who have offered their personal service to our great nation, in the name of freedom.
    I just noticed in re-reading the posts made to this threat that we missed mentioning a very important contributor to this project: Vetteman9956 (Brad) contributed all of the Service Medallions and the NCWW Logo Medallions by making them on his laser engraver.

Without those medallions, these urns would not be as memorable as they are for the families that receive them. The NCWW logo is on the bottom but carries a very important message and that message is for there to provide a measure of thanks for the sacrifice the deceased gave freely.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

10. The following 3 users say Thank You to Raymond :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

DRAT completely fergot right now overloaded, i will get it just b a bit

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

plan is to use wood. 9x9x9 this size meets all requirements for Arlington, columbarium (above ground monument ) and ground interment.i pocket hole everything except bottom which is held on with visible screws so it can be opened and the cremains placed inside then screwed back on

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Raymond i have another blank so if you want to get another plate i can make one for him, he should get one totally agree

Nickname
    Eddie
    Visit Freq
    3.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

How do I get involved with this project?

Have issues with lock miter joints at present but would like to help out if possible. Trying to work that out.

I work in the lawn care equipment business and my window of opportunity is in the late fall and inter months.

Happy to help if I can.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tdukes View Post
    How do I get involved with this project?

Have issues with lock miter joints at present but would like to help out if possible. Trying to work that out.

I work in the lawn care equipment business and my window of opportunity is in the late fall and inter months.

Happy to help if I can.
    Take a look at the corrected link from Dave Richards re: 9" x 9" x 9" urns. The text next to the vertical pieces says "corners joined with lock miter joints, typ., other joinery can be used at builder's discretion".

Curious if any of our other volunteers have tried other joinery. I think Skymaster started the locked miter idea because that's what he had available in his shop.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

When I started making the urns, I used lock miter joints. Skymaster even bought identical cutters so everything we did would be the same. One of the problems with lock miters is excessive chip out, meaning filling and sanding. Jack mastered cutting those joints, and has been the sole producer of the urns for a couple of years. Also, the majority of the lumber he is using has been donated to the project by some very nice people. You can use any joint you feel comfortable with, although we'd like to try to keep the urns all the same. We use a 3" Forstner bit to make a shallow, 1/8" deep depression into which are affixed our NCWW logo disc, and the branch of service the veteran was a part of on the front. It isn't a difficult project to make an urn, but at the moment, we have a 12 month supply on hand. hen the situation changes, we'll start recruiting once more. Thank you very much for your interest, and when the need for more urns rises, we will be needing you.

17. The following 3 users say Thank You to sawman101 :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Bruce.

One of the problems with lock miters is excessive chip out, meaning filling and sanding. Jack mastered cutting those joints,
    The miter joints aren't visible so why is chip out a concern? Poor fit, etc. before the top and bottom go on to hide the joints?

Locked miters are certainly fine but I can't do them without a router table and the bits so label me an observer. I can do locked rabbets on my table saw.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The miters are VERY VISIBLE since all corners are seen. The miters are on the sides and are 9 inches long, the outside corners of the box.

The reason for the lock miters are LOCATION LOCATION. I started with simple mitered corners, once you apply glue everybody slides all over the place. LOCK miters are a POSITIVE location which self aligns with or without glue. It also basically squares itself, all of which in the end makes assembly much much easier.If you have a method that does the same and produces a look alike urn there is no issue with you using it. Mitered corners just look alot better, more furniture like. YES It is just a box however remember this, This Urn is the last thing the family in grief sees of their loved one,if interment is the end result, or if they want to keep the urn with the ashes on a mantle or display, The Best we can do is the least we can do.

20. The following 4 users say Thank You to Skymaster :