DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sawstop blade alignment

I am well on my way to getting my new Sawstop Pro, 3HP, 52" cabinet saw setup. The fence aligned perfectly with the miter slots. I was amazed. But the blade is out of alignment with the miter slots by .018" Out of all of the table saws that I have owned over many years, that is the farthest out of alignment that I have come across. When I set up my Grizzly 1023 seven years ago, it came from the factory with a blade to miter slot alignment that was off only .0005". The fence had to be adjusted but the blade alignment to the miter slot was perfect. There is no way that anyone at the Sawstop factor made any effort to align the blade with the miter slot. Considering the cost of this saw, that is a very discouraging situation!

As for blade run-out - this reading was taken using a Forester II blade. The tolerances for that blade were plus or minus .001". The blade run-out for the the stock Sawstop blade and a Freud industrial blade and a Ridge blade were around plus or minus .003" to .005". All except the Forester II blades were new and had never made the first cut.

Most people who buy as table saw put it together and turn it on. They don't have the experience to measure blade to miter slot alignment and if they did, very few have the tools that they need. So now I get to spend a couple of hours aligning my saw because Sawstop quality control didn't do their job.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete - KD4CQZ

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Sawstop blade alignment

Kinda makes you wonder what else they didnt do.....

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dave (44)
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Pete,

This sounds crazy but before making any adjustment, just for giggles, take the blade off the arbor and then re-seat it and tighten it down. You'll probably still be out of alignment but I can tell you that when I first set-up my Sawstop, I was out of alignment too. When I took the blade off and looked at it, I could see that some sort of gunk (sap?) was on the blade. (I stole a blade I had lying around.) Once I gooped that off and re-seated it, the blade was much closer. A little tweaking and I was there.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have aligned 7 or 8 Saw Stops and ony one was dead on from the factory. The worst one was out by 0.015. All the others were between 0.003 and 0.011..

the good old news is they are very easy to adjust and hold the setting several years.
    Last edited by Mike Davis; 11-14-2017 at 11:27 AM.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sorry to hear you had to put extra work in to the factory alignment, Pete. Aggravating.

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I tested it with four different blades, three of which were new. The most accurate blade was the Forester WWII. It had some pitch buildup on it, but I cleaned it where the dial indicator contacted the blade. I used a separate dial indicator to test the run-out on each blade.

Pete
    Pete - KD4CQZ

7. The following user says Thank You to petebucy4638 for this useful post:

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

It only took two hours to set the align the table so that the blade is now nearly perfectly aligned with the miter slots. I have to admit that Sawstop has the most elegant and accurate method of aligning the saws top with the blade. With most cabinet saws that I have worked on, you have to loosen the bolts that attach the top to the frame and nudge the top with a dead-blow hammer. Sawstop has included alignment machine screws that let you adjust the top with incredible precision. Of course, when you start to tighten the top down again, you have to continue to make adjustments, but if you are willing to invest the time you end up with a very precise alignment between the blade and the top.

Sawstop loses points for not aligning the saw at the factory, but picks up points for providing such an accurate and easy to use alignment system. Of course, points in Sawstops favor for supplying what is without a doubt the best manual that I have ever seen, ever, anywhere!!! All I have left to do is to realign the fence to the miter slots and I'm ready to start cutting some wood.

Overall, Sawstop is a well designed and well-built tool. Which is why the misalignment issue stood out as such an absurd anomaly in an other wise very good assembly and setup process.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete - KD4CQZ

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

After the misalignment problem I gave the entire saw a thorough going over. I couldn't find anything else wrong, and I checked in some detail.

I purchased a Grizzly contractors saw that showed an open ground to the frame when tested before we put it into use. When I opened the switch cover, someone at the factory had bonded the frame to the ground. The ground strap was short and they didn't replace it. It was a simple fix and Grizzly was informed.

I don't know, maybe the guy on the Sawstop assembly line was overwhelmed that day and didn't take the time to align the blade and the table. Anyhow, it fixed now and I know my saw better than I would have had I not had to make this correction.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Kinda makes you wonder what else they didnt do.....
    Pete - KD4CQZ

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I have aligned 7 or 8 Saw Stops and ony one was dead on from the factory. The worst one was out by 0.015. All the others were between 0.003 and 0.011..

the good old news is they are very easy to adjust and hold the setting several years.
    I was impressed with the adjustment process.

Pete
    Pete - KD4CQZ

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by redknife View Post
    Sorry to hear you had to put extra work in to the factory alignment, Pete. Aggravating.
    I think that what bothers me the most is that Sawstop does not include the alignment process as part of the assembly process that every new saw owner should perform. Granted, the manual explains very clearly how to align the blade to the miter slots. Knowing that the factory does not make a great effort to do this for the buyer, it would be prudent for Sawstop tell the buyer that he has to perform the alignment himself.

This is a minor speed-bump on an otherwise very smooth road.

Pete
    Pete - KD4CQZ

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by petebucy4638 View Post
    I think that what bothers me the most is that Sawstop does not include the alignment process as part of the assembly process that every new saw owner should perform. Granted, the manual explains very clearly how to align the blade to the miter slots. Knowing that the factory does not make a great effort to do this for the buyer, it would be prudent for Sawstop tell the buyer that he has to perform the alignment himself.

This is a minor speed-bump on an otherwise very smooth road.

Pete
    I am surprised at that as well. What does the manual tell you to do if the safety mechanism has been fired?. Does it tell you to check all of that again?. I would think you should since all of that energy has to go somewhere besides into the cartridge.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The only problem you will have with firing is if you have too heavy a dado set, they don’t mention this in the manual.

A heavy dado set can bend the shaft. A $500 repair.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Pete
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I had not read about that when I was researching Sawstop saws. The manual does tell you not to use blades over a certain thickness because they would take longer to stop and they tell you not to use blades that are too thin because they may not be structurally up to the stresses imposed when the brake fires. I don't remember reading anything about dado blade weight. Do you know what the cut-off weight is for a dado blade?

Pete

The only problem you will have with firing is if you have too heavy a dado set, they don’t mention this in the manual.

A heavy dado set can bend the shaft. A $500 repair.
    Pete - KD4CQZ

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No, I just know the solid body blades add up to too much, you have to use the ones that are cut away like two wings.

WWFD

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dave (44)
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No, I just know the solid body blades add up to too much, you have to use the ones that are cut away like two wings.
    This is now in the manual. (I bought an Oshlun fully body set for my SawStop before realizing I couldn't use it. Fortunately, Wayne from Mocksville swapped me his Freud wing chipper set.)

17. The following 2 users say Thank You to tarheelz :