DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    5.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Power Tool Storage - temps

Looking at my storage options for tools, since I have a very small area for workshop that is mostly taken up by my 4x8 CNC machine, leaving very little space for more tools. I have some storage options, sheds, trailer. I know the humidity concerns, but what about temperature? How hot is too hot for the storage area? What about cold? Is there a temperature point both hot and cold that causes damage to power tools? Searched some manufacturer websites but couldn't find any answers.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Raymond (64)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Power Tool Storage - temps

Daniel, what type of tools are you talking about? Table saw, band saw, planer or electric hand tools. If you are talking about cordless tools, I would be more concerned with the batteries and the temps they would be stored under.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    5.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
    Daniel, what type of tools are you talking about? Table saw, band saw, planer or electric hand tools. If you are talking about cordless tools, I would be more concerned with the batteries and the temps they would be stored under.
    Planer and miter saw are the two I'm trying to figure where to store right now so they are not in the way as much. I have them on rolling carts (or soon to be mounted) so I can move when they are needed. Same will apply when I get a table saw in the future.

My electric cordless hand tools I store in the house since it's climate controlled I may move the tools to a wall rack but keep batteries inside for the most part when not in use. Garage ranges from about 50 to 80's depending on season and time of day.
    I keep my stationary power sanders in a cabinet in the house and pull out as needed just because I don't have any other place to store them. It's a pain, as they aren't light weight, but right now no other place to store them.
    Most of my corded power tools kept in cabinet in garage.

This summer I was in my trailer one day and it was around 110 degrees in the trailer when I opened it up. Was a very hot day out, close to 100 degrees I think.

Master of None Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris (54)
    Visit Freq
    3.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

How about a flip-top stand - planer (lunch-box?) bolted on one side, miter saw on the other. With some creative design may you could figure a way to have folding in/out feed tables?

Not mine - scavenged from the web...
    "Remember - If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!" - Red Green
    "Always take hold of things by the smooth handle." - Thomas Jefferson

5. The following user says Thank You to CDPeters for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    5.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by CDPeters View Post
    How about a flip-top stand - planer (lunch-box?) bolted on one side, miter saw on the other. With some creative design may you could figure a way to have folding in/out feed tables?

Not mine - scavenged from the web...

I actually use something similar, the Portamate PM-8000 miter saw stand, for both. They are nice, but are only one tool per stand. The issue is where to store when not in use.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Gene
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

All my tools stay in the shop, a detached, unconditioned space. A little surface rust on the tables of the bigger pieces and after 12 years, no apparent impact on batteries, motors, etc.

8. The following user says Thank You to Dee2 for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    5.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Job site tools stay in back of truck year round (0-120 F.) Tools in shop vary between 55F (winter) and 90F (summer.)

10. The following user says Thank You to junquecol for this useful post:

Administrator Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ethan (46)
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Condensing humidity is your only real concern regarding non-battery powered tools. We do not get the sorts of temperature extremes in this part of the country to where one would really need to be especially concerned about the storage temperatures of their shop tools.

Significant temperature swings can cause minor variations in alignment or calibration in equipment due to the expansion and contraction of the metal and plastic parts, but that is usually relatively minor in woodworking since our tolerances are usually somewhat loose to begin with given how much wood can vary with changes in moisture content. By and large, wood movement is usually the bigger concern in non conditioned work spaces since humidity can vary significantly from one day, or week, to the next.

12. The following user says Thank You to ehpoole for this useful post: