DQ
    Nickname
    Preston (66)
    Visit Freq
    1.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Delta Table Saw at Lowes

The Lowes on Walnut Street in Cary is selling their floor model of a Delta 36-725 table saw:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DELTA-13-Am...e-Saw/50081568

They have it reduced from $599 to $499. It is a little rough looking....scratches, something sticky on the table, etc. The fence is pretty loose, but that may be due to a quick assembly to get it on the floor. The biggest issue is that there are some significant, fairly deep scratches on the cast iron table. It looks like someone was cutting something on it with a utility knife...a lot.

I talked to the manager, but he would only cut another $50. I'm curious as to how one would remove the scratches. Think I'll pass on this one.
    “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Fred (60)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Delta Table Saw at Lowes

I don't know anything about this model but I certainly wouldn't worry about a few scratches while getting 150 bucks off if I liked the saw. run a R/O sander over it rub it with some paste wax and put it to work. fences are adjustable and looks are , well, just looks.
    fred p If it ain't broke you aint trying hard enough

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    5.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Unfortunately this isn't your grandfather's Delta. I would pass due to the lack of support currently available for the newer Delta products. Many of their current offerings have no parts available. If it breaks, it's a boat anchor.

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    6.02 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'd offer $400 and no more. If the active manager on duty can't make that happen, ask to speak to the district manager (it will be by phone). If you play hardball, they will give in. I paid $350 for a brand new--in the box--Ridgid 4512 a few years ago from Home Depot. I paid $700 for a $1200 stainless steel--new in box--refrigerator at Lowe's a few years ago. NEVER EVER PAY RETAIL.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Preston (66)
    Visit Freq
    1.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by junquecol View Post
    Unfortunately this isn't your grandfather's Delta. I would pass due to the lack of support currently available for the newer Delta products. Many of their current offerings have no parts available. If it breaks, it's a boat anchor.
    Just out of curiosity, I went to the Delta Machinery web site and looked at the parts list for this model. Their price for a new table is $850. What??
    “Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Ed
    Visit Freq
    0.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

+1 on “Unfortunately this isn't your grandfather's Delta. I would pass due to the lack of support currently available for the newer Delta products. Many of their current offerings have no parts available. If it breaks, it's a boat anchor.”

Although it would take some patience and discipline, I seemto see a reasonably steady, albeit slow flow of the venerable American-made , belt-drive Delta 34-444 Contractorsaws out there. These were the DC-3 of moderately-priced contractor tablessaws. I did some very good work on one for many years. The original factory-suppliedfence is usable, but fussy. Less fussy however than many of saws in this category.There was also a rarer step-up version of the 34-444 that featured cast-ironwings in place of the steel ones on the 34-444. I cannot recall the modelnumber. This too, if the condition and price were right, could be a good find.

A good used 34-444, preferably with a good after-market fence, can be found for $250 - $450. The key, in my opinion, is patience and negotiation.

Caution!

Delta, like Jet, Craftsman, Grizzly and others, offered a number oflesser-priced and lower quality contractor-style table saws. Many had weak directdrive motors and horrible adjustment mechanisms. Be careful!

Good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with.