DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Drop Leaf Table Build

Test assembly completed, went well except for the rotated pics, but with some editing those were fixed

First we glue up the aprons and legs. I use painters tape to avoid glue contamination, otherwise those glue spots always seem to turn up after the final finish.

Then we add the hardware to the top and mount the top

And the test assembly is done. Will have to be taken apart again, final sanding and then spray.

Initially we were concerned about the stability with the leafs up. It is pretty stable though, one would have to really try to tip it over. I am guessing weight comes in at around 70lbs, Solid Cherry is heavy.

Finish ordered online, so it will be a week or so before I post again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Willemjm; 11-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.

2. The following 10 users say Thank You to Willemjm :

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    2.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thank you Willem!
    You are an inspiration and a BIG thank you for all the WIP pictures - I know how hard that can be to remember to take pictures, let alone the time required to post, and narrate the process.

I have told people a number of times you get out of NCWW what you put in, but in your case, I think we might be a little in debt to you!
    “Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge, timber framer and blacksmith instructor

Master of None Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris (54)
    Visit Freq
    3.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Wow, those simple inlays made such a big difference in the appearance. It's gonna pop very nicely with a finish. Beautiful work.
    "Remember - If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!" - Red Green
    "Always take hold of things by the smooth handle." - Thomas Jefferson

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Beautiful work Willem! Are you going to stain or do anything about that one dark leg or will it blend in better with the finish? And thanks for the WIP pics.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Beautiful work Willem! Are you going to stain or do anything about that one dark leg or will it blend in better with the finish? And thanks for the WIP pics.
    John you have a good eye for detail!!!

Yep, three of those legs had a little too much sap Cherry in them and are quite a bit lighter than the rest of the table. The tops are pretty much even, I think the photos just show light reflection.

I will use a few drops of Transtint dye on the three lighter legs only, to match them to the clear coats for the rest of the job.

Hopefully will post later in the week my spray setup, which is faster and easier than any other hand finish process I know. Even cleaning my gun takes a fraction of the time it would take me cleaning a paint brush.

The legs and the table base will be sprayed with a blend of nitro Lacquer I have used for over 40 years. Somehow they have managed to survive the EPA (Available since 1953). The seal coat dries in less than an hour, takes a few minutes to scuff sand smooth and the final three coats normally need no sanding in between or when done. This stuff sprays so easy, I can teach a 10 year old to do it within an hour. I have sprayed it below 30F, at 110F in close to 100% humidity and it finishes perfectly every time. To mix a little Transtint with this lacquer to match color with the first coat after the seal coat is also pretty straight forward.

For the table tops we need durability, so they will be finish sprayed with a Post Cat Conversion Varnish. A lot more precision is needed here, the catalyst needs to be mixed in exactly in the right proportion and tweaking is necessary with a retarder and a thinner to get the correct flow out. Also has to be cured at above 65F for the chemical cure to set up properly. Only two coats needed, more would create problems. That said, it looks better and takes much less time than playing around with any Shellac product, be it ready in the can or mixed with flakes and there is no comparison in durability or hardness, chemicals or food stains on the surface, or exposure to non standing water, compared to Shellac.
    Last edited by Willemjm; 11-14-2017 at 01:58 PM.

7. The following user says Thank You to Willemjm for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Last post in this build. I will post pictures once the piece is completely done, in a new thread.

I almost gave up on RO sanders, before getting this beast. It sure gets the job done. For tops finished in semi-gloss or satin, or flat we can get away with murder. For a gloss finish though, one needs a perfectly flat top. I always try and flatten the top fully before getting to the RO and use the latter only to remove sanding marks left by the drum sander. With a gloss finish at the correct light angle, the slightest uneven surface on a top can be seen and the wrong use of a RO makes dents pretty fast. BTW, this will be a semi-gloss finish.

My spray setup is pretty simple, a 60 gallon compressor (which idles with these jobs) with a water separator and a regulator, a medium quality gun and disposable cups which can be fitted to any medium quality gun with the correct adapters.

The finish is contact only with the disposable liner and lid shown here, running about $1 a piece and I will finish the entire spray exercise on this item before disposing the liner and lid. No cleaning needed.

The liner is placed in a holder, lacquer sealer added 6oz and thinner 1/2oz using the graduations shown in the cup.

The cup is closed and shaken to mix the potion. I can also put it on a shelf and come back a few days later if something else comes up, then continue the job. These are available in different capacity sizes, I am using a 9oz cup.

I have left finish in this gun, once for 3 weeks without any cleaning. Just came back and continued spraying. (Finish without a catalyst)
    However once this whole spray job is complete, the only part of the gun that needs cleaning is the flow path internal of what is shown below. I can do that with running 1oz of thinner through the gun. For a catalyzed finish I would remove the cap and nozzle, agitate them a little in thinner and re-assemble. Faster than cleaning a paint brush.

The gun ready to spray. Air is pushed out of the liner and it is possible to spray with the gun in any position, including upside down.

I chose to spray outside today, as the weather permits. When spraying in my shop I use two box fans underneath my garage door with all the windows open behind me. These finishes dry so fast, the over-spray lands as dust on the floor and is vacuumed up later.

First coat, being the seal coat done in 6 minutes of actual spray time.

This will be ready in less than an hour for a very light scuff sand, removing the raised wood fibers for a smooth finish, but time to go cook dinner and we will start the final finish coats tomorrow. No further sanding will be needed.

Hope all enjoyed the build thread.

9. The following 8 users say Thank You to Willemjm :

Board of Directors
    Vice President
    User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Hank
    Visit Freq
    2.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thank you Williem,
    What brand spray gun is that?

The ease of cleaning is intriuging!
    “Think about it: Everything with a power cord eventually winds up in the trash.” John Sarge, timber framer and blacksmith instructor

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Hmerkle View Post
    Thank you Williem,
    What brand spray gun is that?

The ease of cleaning is intriuging!
    Devilbiss Finishline 3 HVLP. The new ones are Finishline 4. The cups and liners are also from Devilbiss, but they make adapters for most guns.

It's easier to spray with a conventional gravity gun compared to HVLP, but the advantage of HVLP is so much air, that the over-spray of a fast drying finish such as lacquer, shellac etc. and most of the water-based spray finishes turns to dust once it hits the floor. That is ideal if you don't use a spray booth and spray in your shop.

12. The following user says Thank You to Willemjm for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Spraying in the shop, the final coats.

The most important part!!!

Compressor breathing clean air from two open windows

Spraying with two box fans exhausting outside opposite side of open windows.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Nice, Willem. Attach the leaves and spray the whole top to finish it?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Nice, Willem. Attach the leaves and spray the whole top to finish it?
    Jeff, the leaves are sprayed separately, then assembled after the finish is done.