DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Double leaf table design

Thanks to all the input from our members here.

Also enjoyed the humor.

This is what I am going to do:

Aesthetics are always on the top of my list, so I do not want to add additional legs visible when the leaves are in down position. Will also do a bit of inlay on the table tops to brighten up the look. I will make two legs which are hidden and stored underneath the the center top, available to screw into the leaves when they are down, should the recipient want more stability.

The recipients have a current table which they wanted me to repair. It was so poorly made though, that we all decided it will be better to start from scratch. They keep this folded down in their living room as a display piece and only use it leaves up when the children and grand children visit occasionally.

This is one of those jobs where friends pay for the material only and we do it for the love of woodworking.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    4.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Willemjm View Post

This is what I am going to do:
    I will make two legs which are hidden and stored underneath the the center top, available to screw into the leaves when they are down, should the recipient want more stability.
    You could attach them to the backside of the leaves and let them hinge down when they need them, depending on the table size.....?

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If the legs were a little larger then two of the legs on opposite corners could be split in half so that half of the leg is fixed in place and half the leg swings out to form the "gate" to support the lift extensions.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Nickname
    Boomer
    Visit Freq
    4.83 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    If the legs were a little larger then two of the legs on opposite corners could be split in half so that half of the leg is fixed in place and half the leg swings out to form the "gate" to support the lift extensions.
    I was just thinking this exact thing.

User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

As I see it, you will have a couple issues.

No, I don't think it will tip over I would be very concerned about a couple things:

1. How to support the leaves when extended.

2. The leaves will be very prone to cupping if you're using solid wood. You need to add a couple cleats to the bottom. Be sure to fasten to allow for movement. If using veneered plywood not an issue.

If you are using plywood edge the hinge side with solid wood in order to give the hinge screws something substantial to hold them.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

And so the trouble starts. Only have a couple of hours a day for this project some days. But will start a new thread with the build if anyone is interested. Easy project, not much to it.

Attached Images Attached Images

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes, share your WIP with us. I'm particularly interested in your build of the "aesthetically modified" gate leg table ideas from this thread.

The recipients have a current table which they wanted me to repair. It was so poorly made though, that we all decided it will be better to start from scratch. They keep this folded down in their living room as a display piece and only use it leaves up when the children and grand children visit occasionally.
    Can you get a few pics and specifics of the "poorly made" table for comparison with your new version? Does the rickety one have poorly constructed gate legs to support the leaves? Good general information for all of who may want to build something similar........do's and dont's, etc.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Yes, share your WIP with us. I'm particularly interested in your build of the "aesthetically modified" gate leg table ideas from this thread.

Can you get a few pics and specifics of the "poorly made" table for comparison with your new version? Does the rickety one have poorly constructed gate legs to support the leaves? Good general information for all of who may want to build something similar........do's and dont's, etc.
    New build thread started.

You will have to twist my arm to post pics of the old table, it is not in my shop.

Here is the info though.

Made from Rubber Wood ( Asian trees used for making latex, they get taken down at 25 years old and cut into lumber) heavily stained. The leg joints are mortise and tenon, pinned with wood screws and a terrible fit, so all the glue joints failed with the table rocking on it's legs. They used corner legs which swing out to support the leaves and for hinging these they used pieces of copper pipe. The fitting is pretty loose. The top and leaves are ply and also heavily stained. Probably something we can buy at an antique store, for around $50.

As a woodworker, I stay away from those kind of items.

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm late to the party but I wanted to relay that your drawing looks very much like the drop leaf table that sits in my dining room. I grew up eating at that table as did my father. It was about 100 years old when my grandparents acquired it. My father was 6 at the time. That makes the table 178 years old. It's not at all tippy. I think it's a very good design. The leaves are supported by swing out arms cut out of the long aprons.
    SketchUp Authorized Training Center

10. The following user says Thank You to Dave Richards for this useful post:

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think it's a very good design. The leaves are supported by swing out arms cut out of the long aprons.
    Dave, is it kind of like a gate leg without a leg going to the floor? Interesting. "It's not tippy" sounds counterintuitive if the leaves are +/- 17" w on each side.

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

No. It's just an arm. It is cut out of the apron and pivots at the center of the apron.

The leaves on my table are 19 in. wide and the central top is about 20-1/2 in. wide. This is a poor photo from my phone.
    Sorry for the mess on top. My wife is "sorting."

When it gets lighter out, I'll try to get some better photos and show the leaf support, too.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    No. It's just an arm. It is cut out of the apron and pivots at the center of the apron.

The leaves on my table are 19 in. wide and the central top is about 20-1/2 in. wide. This is a poor photo from my phone.
    Sorry for the mess on top. My wife is "sorting."

When it gets lighter out, I'll try to get some better photos and show the leaf support, too.
    Dave thanks for posting!!!

First I wanted to do some calculations of how stable the table will be, then I decided just to build it and see. If I was concerned then I could add something to solve the problem. Good to hear yours is fine, I thought it may be OK.

That table of yours has a lot of history, nice to have those memories!

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You could do the calculations or you could even do something like I showed here last month. Building it is good, too. Hopefully my table has helped to give you some confidence in your design.

Yes. Lots of memories with that table.

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Here are a couple of photos from the underside. As I described, the leaf support is sawn from the top portion of the long apron. You can see the long saw cut extends beyond the end of the notch. The ends of the notch and support are cut at an angle so they only swing one way. The pivots are slightly off center on the aprons so the suupports can both be extended at the same time.

Here's a close up at the end of the notch. You can see the pocket for a screw attaching the top.

Forum Leader Senior User
    Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    4.62 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

At Jeff's request, I ran CofG calculations on a SketchUp model he sent me of a drop leaf table.

The calculations put the CofG about 2 inches toward the raised leaf from the centerline and almost 5 inches below the top. Aprons would lower the CofG a bit more. Based on Jeff's 35 lbs/cu ft, the table as drawn would weight a bit less than 43 lbs.

He asked for another calculation with a 75 lb weight on the raised leaf. Even without running the calculation, it would be simple enough to figure that the CofG will shift outside the legs and the table will tip over.

I kind of think anyone who would put 75 pounds on the leaf of a table deserves to have it tip over.