Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Table Saw Opinion

Hi all,

I've wanted to upgrade my table saw from a delta 36-600 contractor saw and have been on the lookout for an older delta/rockwell, but stumbled on to the saw pictured below. All in, after selling my saw I'm thinking that I'll have $100-150 in this saw if I buy it.

Any thoughts/opinions on if the above saw is an improvement from the 36-600? The fence looks like an upgrade and the base looks a bit more solid than my current saw.

I snagged this photo from the net since I'm already at work and can't snap a picture of my actual saw, but this is it:

Thank you,

Zach

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Table Saw Opinion

Unless the new saw has more horse power, it doesn't appear that you're really stepping up that much. Not $100-150 worth. As you pointed out, the fence would be the only up grade. I'd hold off for a used Unisaw.
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

3. The following 2 users say Thank You to Bill Clemmons :

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Bill!

I wish that I could afford, and had the space for, a Unisaw! I will also add that my budget is only $300 and the cheapest working Unisaw that I've seen was $500.

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    6.90 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Agree with Bill as it's not much of an upgrade. Don't waste your precious money. Be EXTREMELY patient and do your shopping. When I get something in mind to purchase, I set a price I will pay and no more than that. I will, and have, searched, sent emails, made phone calls, drove out to a sellers homes, etc, etc, over a 4 month period just to get what I want, or better, for the price I was set on.

Good luck and if you'll give us some insight as to what you desire and your price range, we'll help you find it.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

User
    Nickname
    Update your profile with your name
    Visit Freq
    2.04 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I agree that a cabinet saw with a good fence is a major upgrade and worth the work/money. I've swapped through a bunch of Craigslist table saws--I started with a decent Jet 1.5 hp contractor saw--went to old, rusty Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw--got a better Grizzly 3 hp cabinet saw--got an underpowered 1.5 hp Unisaw--found a Jet 3 hp contractor saw and am happy with it unless someone wants to unload a Sawstop cabinet saw.

After all that, I really like the 3 hp you get with the cabinet saw (assuming you don't plan to move it around much). I thought I'd be ok with the underpowered Unisaw since it had the fit and finish I wanted (ok, and the pretty Delta logo), but I missed the power. I also agree that you want that fence upgrade, but if you take your time, I think you can find both for around $500. I'd say to wait until you have the cash to really upgrade. Unless you enjoy fixing up old saws and swapping them like I do, you're probably better off to watch Craigslist and wait for the right saw.

Good luck.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Fred (60)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by zdorsch View Post
    Thanks Bill!

I wish that I could afford, and had the space for, a Unisaw! I will also add that my budget is only $300 and the cheapest working Unisaw that I've seen was $500.
    A unisaw doesn't take up any more space than a contractors saw. a 30" fence is all you really need. This saw isn't an upgrade by any stretch of the imagination. I would hold out and save some more $$$$. The deals do come around.
    fred p If it ain't broke you aint trying hard enough

Nickname
    Wes
    Visit Freq
    1.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm in between saws right now. I see tons of the contractor type saws on craigslist. In my humble opinion a contractor saw is a glorified skill-saw. I agree, a unisaw takes up no more room than a contractor. Put a decent base on it and you can move it as easy. I will definitely go with another unisaw.

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks All!

I was hoping to find something inexpensive that was practical for home use in a 1.5 car garage that is actually used to house cars.

I've never been happy with the direct drive on my current saw. I was hoping that the upgraded fence and belt drive of the other saw would be more of an upgrade compared to my current saw. It's not in the budget to buy a unisaw or any cabinet saw in the foreseeable future.

Zach

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Fred (60)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

belt drive is better than direct drive. I was under the impression the saw in question was direct drive. this type saw can be made usable with a good tune up and a good blade. It's not a cabinet saw by any stretch but it is serviceable. sometimes we have to settle for what we can afford or what's available.
    fred p If it ain't broke you aint trying hard enough

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mark
    Visit Freq
    6.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

For a medium priced contractor belt driven saw, 110v, don't discount Rigid. I have a TS3650 I bought 11 years ago and see no need to replace it. Good fence and good cast iron top. Emerson motor. Stay away from the granite topped models. Main drawback is the splitter, which mounts to a rod extending back from the trunnion. A pain to set up, especially with thin kerf blades, but can be gotten around by making your own zero clearance inserts and inserting a blade/riving knife into the insert for vertical cuts. I just use full kerf blades.

With the hercu-lift on the base, fine for moving around a garage. Might find a good used one for not a lot of $$.

Go
    Practicing at practical woodworking

12. The following user says Thank You to Gofor for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

On contractor's saw, hold out for an older (pre 1998 Delta.) You will see the darker grey paint. Delta used several shades over the years. Watch out for a used "zip code saw" (Sears 22124.) They are hybrids, but came with Biesemeyer fences.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jack (77)
    Visit Freq
    6.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have been running a Delta contractors saw full time now for well over 30 yrs and it is still going strong. Have yet to run into anything that I cant do with it. Only benefit to a uni is if you are running 24/7, THICK material, heavy duty work. Nothing wrong with them they are great saws, just saying if you mainly are running ply, solid under 2,"a contractors with a 30" fence, convert to 220 if able and you will be fine

15. The following user says Thank You to Skymaster for this useful post:

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Zach
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks for the tips Bruce and Jack.

Have either of you, or anyone else reading this, used the fence setup in this picture? This is another saw that I’ve had my eye on.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Rick
    Visit Freq
    3.46 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The 36-600 is a direct drive benchtop saw. The US made Delta belt drive contractors are workhorses, arguably the best contractor saws ever built. If you hold out for one with a Biesemeyer or Unifence, it will be a big upgrade.

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Neal (57)
    Visit Freq
    7.66 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by junquecol View Post
    On contractor's saw, hold out for an older (pre 1998 Delta.) You will see the darker grey paint. Delta used several shades over the years. Watch out for a used "zip code saw" (Sears 22124.) They are hybrids, but came with Biesemeyer fences.
    Is this an example of a "zip code saw"? https://greenville.craigslist.org/tl...344913745.html

or is this a better example: https://greenville.craigslist.org/tl...340336434.html

when you saw, watch out for, you are not saying to avoid that style of machines, correct?