Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Extravaganza) Ad #2

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    Sorry for the delay.. So, I was saying splitter because I thought this was a splitter based on its shape. My idea of the riving knife was not this exact shape. I actually told Grizzly that I did not get the part when I took delivery, so they sent me the exact same thing. My bad
    So, I have the thin kerf Freud blade and it is obviously smaller than the stated .1" of this riving knife.
    I'll try taking the orbital to it to see if I can get it down to the .091.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #17
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    5,786
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    554
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    So, I was saying splitter because I thought this was a splitter based on its shape. My idea of the riving knife was not this exact shape.
    That's okay too. Just curious too. Why a "splitter" based on its shape in your opinion and what is your idea of the shape of a riving knife?

    I found this interesting and subtle explanation of a riving knife vs a splitter. I'd never given it a thought and probably have been using the terms interchangeably.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owng8yV4ySI

  3. #18
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    187
    Visit Freq
    6.90 visits/week
    Threads
    16
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    The ROS is going to take a lot more time but it's doable. Remember you're removing material from steel, possibly spring steel so what seems "aggressive" isn't so much that. Start with a 40 grit disk and go from there. Otherwise you'll get discouraged by you efforts in a short period of time.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  4. #19
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    yeah, probably why this idea did not come to mind from the start. Still would like to find a machine shop that can just thin this down to spec.

  5. #20
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    187
    Visit Freq
    6.90 visits/week
    Threads
    16
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by photostu View Post
    yeah, probably why this idea did not come to mind from the start. Still would like to find a machine shop that can just thin this down to spec.
    No bench sander or one you can use? It would make very quick work of it. It's only removing 1/32 of an inch. You're going to have to adjust the alignment anyway so it doesn't matter it's all off one side. And once you use a thin kerf blade, chances are you'll stick with them. Especially since most everything in the open market is thin kerf.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  6. #21
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    I do not have one, so that must mean I should go get one now ;-)

  7. #22
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    187
    Visit Freq
    6.90 visits/week
    Threads
    16
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    I, in all honesty, would highly recommend it. I have three at me disposal. One is six inch that I rarely use. Basically because belts for the 4 inchers are dirt cheap in comparison.

    A purchase of such a tool will elevate the cost of your simple task to that of a comparable price of having the job done at a machine shop. But, it will gain much use for future projects as well. It truly is a win, win situation.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  8. #23
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    I believe I used this same logic when floating the HVLP purchase to my wife as well ;-)
    This hobby adds up quick!!

  9. #24
    User Wyatt Co.'s Avatar
    Nickname
    Bill
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Calypso, NC
    Posts
    187
    Visit Freq
    6.90 visits/week
    Threads
    16
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    You ain't just whistling Dixie. Just remind the powers to be that the purchase is a "one time" deal.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

  10. #25
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Rougemont, NC
    Posts
    5,786
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    554
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by photostu View Post
    I do not have one, so that must mean I should go get one now ;-)
    Don't have a thin kerf saw blade or a bench sander? Which one?

  11. #26
    Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mc Leansville, NC
    Posts
    1,611
    Visit Freq
    4.00 visits/week
    Threads
    60
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    Quote Originally Posted by photostu View Post
    Sorry for the delay.. So, I was saying splitter because I thought this was a splitter based on its shape. My idea of the riving knife was not this exact shape. I actually told Grizzly that I did not get the part when I took delivery, so they sent me the exact same thing. My bad
    So, I have the thin kerf Freud blade and it is obviously smaller than the stated .1" of this riving knife.
    I'll try taking the orbital to it to see if I can get it down to the .091.
    Did you try it as is? .009" is 3 human hairs.......

  12. #27
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    bench sander ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Don't have a thin kerf saw blade or a bench sander? Which one?

  13. #28
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    I did Chris, the wood would bind enough to make pushing it through more of a challenge than I felt it should be safely. Yes, I could ram it through, but that didn't seem the smartest thing for me to try :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_goris View Post
    Did you try it as is? .009" is 3 human hairs.......

  14. #29
    Master of None User
    DQ
    CDPeters's Avatar
    Nickname
    Chris (54)
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Windsor, VA
    Posts
    829
    Visit Freq
    2.92 visits/week
    Threads
    42
    Classifieds
    0

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    I had the same issue with the riving knife on my Griz 0690. I used a belt sander to thin mine to work with a thin kerf blade. It really doesnt take much. A couple of tips:

    1. With the riving knife installed in the saw, mark the knife at the top of the mounting block on the right hand side. Do not thin it below this line.
    2. These are aligned with the arbor stop (left side of the blade) so to maintain the proper alignment to the blade when switching from thin to standard, only sand/thin the right hand (as you face the saw) of the riving knife.
    3. Sand a little, try it - rinse/repeat until you are happy with it.

    HTH,
    Chris
    "Remember - If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!" - Red Green
    "Always take hold of things by the smooth handle." - Thomas Jefferson

  15. #30
    User
    Nickname
    stu
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Apex, NC
    Posts
    63
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    6
    Classifieds
    1

    Re: thin kerf splitter solution?

    10-4, this sounds like a solid plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDPeters View Post
    I had the same issue with the riving knife on my Griz 0690. I used a belt sander to thin mine to work with a thin kerf blade. It really doesnt take much. A couple of tips:

    1. With the riving knife installed in the saw, mark the knife at the top of the mounting block on the right hand side. Do not thin it below this line.
    2. These are aligned with the arbor stop (left side of the blade) so to maintain the proper alignment to the blade when switching from thin to standard, only sand/thin the right hand (as you face the saw) of the riving knife.
    3. Sand a little, try it - rinse/repeat until you are happy with it.

    HTH,
    Chris

Similar Threads

  1. thin kerf blades and splitter
    By Chilihead in forum General Woodworking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-11-2015, 11:31 PM
  2. Thin Kerf 10" blade?
    By allisnut in forum Power Tools and Their Use
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-04-2014, 10:21 AM
  3. Amazon Thin Kerf WWII 30 Tooth $30
    By Turtlewood in forum Found for Sale/Hot Deals
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2008, 08:13 PM
  4. Forrest WW II Thin-Kerf Blade on sale
    By Sweetgum in forum Where Can I Find, Buy or Sell
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •