Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Extravaganza)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User
    Nickname
    Nick
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: What is your weakness?

Wow, this thread really took off.

I might have to give lacquer a shot. I've already got all of the equipment for it and I have a little experience spraying from my time in aviation.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Gene
    Visit Freq
    6.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

"Argue for your weakness and it is yours." --Stephen Covey

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Co. View Post
    When I'm done with a piece of furniture or whatever and turn it over to the customer, it has to be as perfect as it can be. I do this for a living and I must give the customer what they pay for. No matter where it ends up, regardless of climate and the evils associated, I can't very well just hand over a piece that is off 1/16 of an inch and tell them "it'll be fine". After it leaves my shop, what happens to it is out of my hands although I warranty my work against bowing, stuff popping off, and/or splitting. Handing customers sub-par work does not and will not benefit your business.
    I believe the hardest learning curve for any furniture builder is accuracy. When it comes to complicated casework using solid wood it is essential.

Something like this: http://thelastwoodworker.com/furnitu...folio/armoire/

I must admit though, my lumber is not stored or conditioned in a climate controlled (Temperature + humidity) environment, I have never experienced the need for that. Typically here in NC, it would be between 10-12% moisture content. All my designs though compensate for wood movement and most of the pieces I build go into homes where the moisture content would eventually settle around 6-8%. Never had a comeback or issue with this.
    Last edited by Willemjm; 09-13-2017 at 08:41 AM.

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Willemjm View Post
    I believe the hardest learning curve for any furniture builder is accuracy. When it comes to complicated casework using solid wood it is essential.

Something like this: http://thelastwoodworker.com/furnitu...folio/armoire/

I must admit though, my lumber is not stored or conditioned in a climate controlled (Temperature + humidity) environment, I have never experienced the need for that. Typically here in NC, it would be between 10-12% moisture content. All my designs though compensate for wood movement and most of the pieces I build go in to homes where the moisture content would eventually settle around 6-8%. Never had a comeback or issue with this.
    Before being able to keep humidity at bay, I had a couple of pieces "come back" due to bowing. I actually had a table that sat flat on all fours when I delivered it (during the summer) and come the middle of winter, it was sitting on three legs. I couldn't just tell them to stick a match book under the short leg. After that, I would take semi-finished pieces and store them in the house for about two weeks and then complete the piece in a day or two.

I've been paranoid ever since. *giggles*

The link you posted. Stunningly beautiful work in there.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Tom
    Visit Freq
    4.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My weakness is getting started with the cutting. I can have a project sketched up and a list of materials, but stall there for unknown reasons.
    The thing that holds up all my woodworking is simply getting started.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt Co. View Post
    Before being able to keep humidity at bay, I had a couple of pieces "come back" due to bowing. I actually had a table that sat flat on all fours when I delivered it (during the summer) and come the middle of winter, it was sitting on three legs. I couldn't just tell them to stick a match book under the short leg. After that, I would take semi-finished pieces and store them in the house for about two weeks and then complete the piece in a day or two.

I've been paranoid ever since. *giggles*

The link you posted. Stunningly beautiful work in there.
    With a table top, you have to be real careful in how you orientate the growth rings in the boards during glue-up and if the boards are flat sawn, using wide boards 8" plus will be looking for trouble. Even if you acclimatize the lumber perfectly during construction, one day several years from now someone may be moving from Arizona to the Gulf region and the problem will re-surface. It also helps mounting the top to rigid stretchers in a manner which allows movement across the grain without distortion.

Almost all the stuff coming from Asia uses Engineered wood (ply) with fancy veneer on top which is very forgiving compared to solid wood. You can do anything you like and it will not distort, until someone spoils it by scratching or placing too hot a cooking utensil on it. Then it is thrown away and replaced with another affordable pretty looking piece.
    Last edited by Willemjm; 09-13-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Willemjm View Post
    With a table top, you have to be real careful in how you orientate the growth rings in the boards during glue-up and if the boards are flat sawn, using wide boards 8" plus will be looking for trouble. Even if you acclimatize the lumber perfectly during construction, one day several years from now someone may be moving from Arizona to the Gulf region and the problem will re-surface. It also helps mounting the top to rigid stretchers in a manner which allows movement across the grain without distortion.
    Yes sir. That table issue was many a moon ago.

But thanks for looking out!
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

Staff Advisor
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    3.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I would have to say I have 3.

1. Sanding - Unless its on the lathe since the lathe does the work for you.
    2. Finishing
    3. Keeping the shop clean.

For finishing Peter Gedrys is a great resource.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xErUsgT7f4M
    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=peter+gedrys

I saw Peter at the Charlotte Woodworking Show several years ago and it was great!

__________________________________________________ _______
    "If you will live like no one else, later you can LIVE like no one else!" Dave Ramsey (www.DaveRamsey.com)

9. The following 2 users say Thank You to MikeH :

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have ADD and dyslexia to a certain extent. I also suffer from precision decision... But have found that if I start with one piece of wood and fit everything else to that piece then it all comes out OK.

Had to simplify finishing, use a rub-on oil/varnish mix. No place to spray, shop is too small. Sometimes on very small projects that are not food contact I will use a rattle can.

Shop gets messy, yeah- i make stuff in there. duh!

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

11. The following user says Thank You to Mike Davis for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Drew
    Visit Freq
    0.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm an odd duck that actually enjoys finishing. That said, I'm with Phil on cleaning; my shop is a constant obstacle course/mine field. Also, getting things square. It drives me nuts when I've cut the pieces and then the dry fit is a parallelogram. Or to get the drawer straight only to find it's not fitting in the cabinet. Aggravates me just thinking about it!

User
    Nickname
    Nick
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Shop gets messy, yeah- i make stuff in there. duh!
    Seems to be an issue for most of us. I've told myself time and again to put away 2 items for every 1 I take out but I always fall off the wagon.

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    2.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You know one thing I really don't do, probably should, but don't want to is check wood for absolute straightness. Out here in eastern NC the humidity is too high and I don't keep my wood in climate controlled conditions. In fact I'll bring wood home that I've bought only to discover that is was straight in the store but not in the garage. Bow city. Now I should get out the winding sticks and plane it down to straightness, but time is limited and I'd rather get going on my project. I've not really had a problem and since its humid most of the year here I've not had wood movement issues either down the road. I've heard that pine doesn't complain as much as some other woods. We'll see as time goes on.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Roy
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

A weakness I admit to that has not been mentioned yet is having trouble disposing of wood scraps. If the piece left over is more than 6" long, I think maybe I'll be able to use this sometime so I put it on the wood rack. Then when I need a piece of wood I spend a lot of time looking for one in the pile of cut-off scraps. They are either too short or too narrow, so then I have to get a board out and cut off the bit I need and golly, there is another scrap to hoard. I made a cutting board out of bits recently, which got rid of a few pieces and i made 14 spheres on the lathe to use up some more. Now I have another cutting board in the kitchen and 14 spheres rolling around in the shop. It looks like I am not solving my problem, only changing its appearance. Luckily we know a friend with a wood stove who will accept kindling from me, so at least some of the scraps leave the shop. One thing I learned about kindling is don't burn desert ironwood. It will give you a flashback to VN.

Roy G

16. The following 2 users say Thank You to Roy G :

Nickname
    Coleman
    Visit Freq
    3.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quick Note:

Fuji, Earlex, General Finishes, & Mohawk will be at the 2017 Klingspor's Woodworking Shop Extravaganza Oct 27 & 28 in Hickory, NC. Possibly they could help answer questions and simplify the finishing process for everyone. Come by and pick their brains.

Coleman

18. The following 2 users say Thank You to woodworkingshop.com :