DQ
    Nickname
    Rick
    Visit Freq
    2.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: What is your weakness?

Analysis Paralysis is my issue. Sometimes I just think about things too long and considering too many option instead of just doing it. Especially when I already have time invested in a project and I get nervous about 'screwing' it up. I also don't like that I'll fall back to what I know versus trying more advanced joinery because I'm nervous about wasting a good piece of lumber. I need to go out and buy a ton of scrap wood and start practicing. Maybe one day when I'm retired :-)
    Rick
    Raleigh, NC

2. The following 3 users say Thank You to Ralrick :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bruce Swanson
    Visit Freq
    5.50 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Putting things away! When I'm working on a project, tools and hardware begin to pile up on the benches because I don't want to break the rhythm. After a project is completed, I'll take the time to put everything back in order, then clean the benches, machines, and floors so I can start the next project fresh. Of course, I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at one time, but most importantly, I'm happy!
    Experience is a hard teacher; she gives the test first, and the lesson later.

Scott Bilicki User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott (41)
    Visit Freq
    1.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Ralrick View Post
    Analysis Paralysis is my issue. Sometimes I just think about things too long and considering too many option instead of just doing it. Especially when I already have time invested in a project and I get nervous about 'screwing' it up. I also don't like that I'll fall back to what I know versus trying more advanced joinery because I'm nervous about wasting a good piece of lumber. I need to go out and buy a ton of scrap wood and start practicing. Maybe one day when I'm retired :-)
    The fear of wasting wood by making mistakes is one that I worry about as well. It's so paralyzing at times that I wont start a really needed project unless I can get someone to look at the work with me. I think my weakness is my inability to trust myself to not make mistakes and waste wood/money!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by sawman101 View Post
    Putting things away! When I'm working on a project, tools and hardware begin to pile up on the benches because I don't want to break the rhythm. After a project is completed, I'll take the time to put everything back in order, then clean the benches, machines, and floors so I can start the next project fresh. Of course, I usually have 2 or 3 projects going at one time, but most importantly, I'm happy!
    I guess that is my biggest problem also. It goes on until I cannot find anything anymore, then I get depressed, take a break, clean up and promise myself never to do it again. I never seem to keep my promise though.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Willem
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Richo B View Post
    Finishing and clean-up aren't my problems at all. I have to clean up my shop if I want to get my car back in the garage or keep my wife from having asthma. One of my biggest weaknesses is math. Always has been. Doing measurement calculations is hard for me. Unlike so many on the forum I don't come from an engineering, science or machinist background. Luckily I found an app for fractions that I can use. Makes it go by so much easier. That and checking measurements more than once. I have made so many mistakes with marking something a certain distance shorter than it was supposed to be. I've done this at work for years and do it in my hobby time as well. I'm learning to check and not to waste material.
    I was raised over a few ponds from here and have to admit that I have never quite managed to switch from mm to inches, or from km to miles. Trying to measure, divide and multiply in fractions just adds another dimension to make the challenge of keeping the errors out harder. Even looking at the fractions say 11/16" on a ruler I have to concentrate to figure out where it actually is. Kudo's to those who grew up with the system!!!

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I don't dread finishing and don't mind doing it and also don't expect it to be done in 2 days but not take 2-3 weeks either. Early thoughts while beginning to make sawdust are which finish for durability and appearance, and then finish before or after assembly?).

I have a few preferred finishes and some that I avoid if possible. I like wiping varnishes (Waterlox), dewaxed shellac (SealCoat or shellac flakes), and oil/MS, citrus solvent, or turpentine. I try to avoid sanding between coats but sometimes it's needed.

Cleaning and putting tools away is not a chore by and large for me.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

...and you build the piece(s) to accurate specs in your absolutely environmentally controlled shop so they're constrained in a straight jacket so to speak...

Then they're moved to a beach house or a mountain cabin with open windows, occasional air conditioning, and very dry wood stove heating. Then the straight jackets bust wide open or shrink even tighter?

Nonetheless, I applaud your efforts at precision and accuracy.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Ray (79)
    Visit Freq
    5.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sanding. Don't like doing it. Can't do it well.

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    6.83 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    ...and you build the piece(s) to accurate specs in your absolutely environmentally controlled shop so they're constrained in a straight jacket so to speak...

Then they're moved to a beach house or a mountain cabin with open windows, occasional air conditioning, and very dry wood stove heating. Then the straight jackets bust wide open or shrink even tighter?

Nonetheless, I applaud your efforts at precision and accuracy.
    When I'm done with a piece of furniture or whatever and turn it over to the customer, it has to be as perfect as it can be. I do this for a living and I must give the customer what they pay for. No matter where it ends up, regardless of climate and the evils associated, I can't very well just hand over a piece that is off 1/16 of an inch and tell them "it'll be fine". After it leaves my shop, what happens to it is out of my hands although I warranty my work against bowing, stuff popping off, and/or splitting. Handing customers sub-par work does not and will not benefit your business.
    Happiness is a direction not a destination. ~Athena Orchard

Board of Directors
    Events Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Roberta
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Horizontal surfaces are the worst. I haven't been able to find my favorite tape measure for 6 months. Not an exaggeration
    Berta

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ernie (72)
    Visit Freq
    6.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Berta View Post
    Horizontal surfaces are the worst. I haven't been able to find my favorite tape measure for 6 months. Not an exaggeration
    That's for sure. I'm thinking of eliminating all horizontal surfaces from my shop and just dropping my tools on the floor. They all seem to end up there anyway.
    www.ernestmillerharpsichords.com

"A lot of people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths."
    -Steven Wright.

13. The following user says Thank You to ErnieM for this useful post:

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    3.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My weakness....... Peanut Butter..... in the area of woodworking its probably wanting to do too many projects, I get excited and dream up so many things to do. It sidetracks me on getting the one project done, rather than several done.
    - Not living life till you're part of the Food Chain

15. The following user says Thank You to Bear Republic for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Bromley
    Visit Freq
    5.56 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Phew weaknesses... may be easier to list my strengths at this point. My top weaknesses are analysis paralysis, striving for perfection, and glue-ups. Being that I'm an engineer/machinist by day I tend to spend way too much time designing and critiquing a project before I have even touched a piece of wood. It always turns out that I modify the design on the fly anyways due to something unforeseen in the 3D world. Then my machinist side kicks in, at work I either talk in thousandths of an inch or micrometers and 10 thou is a loose tolerance. I've been learning to settle as often times my tooling just isn't up to par yet to hold the kinds of tolerances or dimensions that I would like. Finally, the dreaded glue ups; it seems no matter how much I plan and dry fit I get in freak out mode as soon as the glue hits the wood. I have some paranoia that the glue is going to start curing before I get my joints fit up just how I want them and as a result end up rushing the assembly. I assume it will just take more practice to get past this. Sooo as I said in the beginning, probably should have stuck with strengths lol

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Reggie
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm right there with you! I HATE to paint, I'm not good at it, and not really interested in learning more. Probably why I stick primarily to outdoor furniture which I market UNfinished! I have a NEW Fuji spray system that I do plan to let my wife use to paint an swing I made for her!

Quote Originally Posted by NTCook View Post
    I have come to the conclusion that finishing is my kryptonite.

I avoid it and I have zero discipline when it comes time to do all of the finish sanding and application of varnish, shellac, etc. Often times my projects will sit for extended periods as I put off the only part that makes me want to leave my shop early. I've decided I need to do something about it but I'm just not sure what that is yet.

I made the decision recently to make a serious attempt at elevating all of my skills and truthfully none of that will matter if I am still wretched at varnishing.

So, what is YOUR weakness? Which step in the process drags you down like varnish drags me down? I'm curious what others find interesting/uninteresting because I think it says something about the person. It's obvious that my hatred for finishing points out my impatience.
    "The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money!" Alex de Tocqueville"

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Reggie
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

GUILTY also!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil S View Post
    My weakness is definitely cleaning the shop and putting tools back where they belong.
    Every once in a while, I will get up real early, like 2 AM, put all the tools away and sweep and dust everything.
    That normally happens when I am about to host a workshop.
    But it never seems to last very long - If I only have an hour or so to work in the shop I would much rather spend the entire time building and I always say I will clean up and get organized tomorrow. Maybe when I retire I will change my habits - right, sure I will

Nick, I used to hate finishing too as so many do and if I was varnishing I would still hate it. For small project, I pad on shellac typically in the house watching whatever is on TV. For anything large or if I need something done right now, I spray lacquer. I am quite sure I could have a project sealed, sanded, three coated and out the door before I could have brushed on one coat. And that includes cleaning the gun which takes only a couple of minutes. If you have not started spraying yet, try it.
    "The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money!" Alex de Tocqueville"