Nickname
    Yogi
    Visit Freq
    3.07 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sources for hardwood flooring

Hi all,

We just moved into our new house in Wake Forest, and my wife wants to replace the carpet in her piano room with hardwood flooring. Does anyone know some reputable sources for red oak hardwoods?

Thanks!
    -Yogi

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jerry
    Visit Freq
    6.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Sources for hardwood flooring

Quote Originally Posted by luckyGoose View Post
    Hi all,

We just moved into our new house in Wake Forest, and my wife wants to replace the carpet in her piano room with hardwood flooring. Does anyone know some reputable sources for red oak hardwoods?

Thanks!
    -Yogi
    Contact one of the local builders is my suggestion. They should know the sources for hardwood flooring.

Jerry
    We make a living by what we get...............We make a life by what we give

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Notw
    Visit Freq
    5.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

USA Flooring off of Capital Blvd, that is where I got my red oak flooring a few years back and it matched the original perfectly. They were able to save me since I originally started the install with Lumber Liquidators and their product was so terrible I had the installer stop installing it. USA Flooring not only had the flooring that matched perfectly but their store keeps a lot of flooring inside so I was able to install it the same day with no acclimation time.

http://usaflooringnc.com/

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Google "hardwood flooring in Raleigh, NC" for sources, showrooms, and installation. DIY installation savings are minimal so have it done by the professional folks who will also do the finishing.

We used a water-borne Bona Floor care finish instead of their oil based finishes.

https://www.bona.com/en-US/Bona-Prof...ucts/Coatings/

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Our friends at the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville can supply hardwood flooring of many shapes and sizes and species. Their ad should rotate into place on the right hand side. They offer our DQ members a discount as well making it worth the time to meet our Discount Qualified (DQ) requirements.

When you meet the requirements you'll see a DQ under your name in your posting headers as you see in Jerry's and NotW's posts above.
    Ban shredded cheese, make America grate again.

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

6. The following user says Thank You to KenOfCary for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Ray (79)
    Visit Freq
    6.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We used "engineered" hardwood (pre-finished plywood in the flooring industry, I guess) by Kahrs from Brentwood Flooring off Rt 1 just north of 540. Not really hardwood, but for our use on a condo's concrete floors we have been very satisfied with it. The finish stands up great under normal wear and rolling office chairs. Ours was contractor-installed, so I'm not sure how much of the price was for him. Total price was reasonable for us.

Best of luck,
    Ray

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Yogi
    Visit Freq
    3.07 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The lady is insistent that we put in hardwood and not engineered wood. I'll check out USA flooring. I would have tried it myself but in the interest of saving time, I'll go with hiring professionals. Thank you your suggestions all!

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott Smith
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

The lady is insistent that we put in hardwood and not engineered wood. I'll check out USA flooring. I would have tried it myself but in the interest of saving time, I'll go with hiring professionals. Thank you your suggestions all!
    LG- I manufacture custom flooring and think that your wife may be mistaking engineered flooring for laminate flooring.

Laminate is an inexpensive faux wood floor.

Engineered is superior in about every measure to traditional hardwood flooring. It is especially superior if you want to use a wide plank.

When it comes time to replace the flooring in my own home, I'll manufacture the wide plank wear surfaces myself and then supply them to an engineered floor manufacturer to make into flooring.

Scott

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Yogi
    Visit Freq
    3.07 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Hi Scsmith42! We had engineered hardwood at our previous house, she knows the difference between hardwood and laminate. Her main concern with engineered planks is that those can be sanded and refinished maybe once or twice, and we have dogs that scratch the floor all over. Plus she doesn't like the grooves at the edges of the engineered planks.

My shop is in limbo right now, but once the machines are delivered, I'll follow your approach to make the planks myself, and send it over to a company for finishing.

Thanks for your suggestion!

User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Scott Smith
    Visit Freq
    2.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My shop is in limbo right now, but once the machines are delivered, I'll follow your approach to make the planks myself, and send it over to a company for finishing.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    You misunderstood me - I am not advising you to make your own planks and send them out.

I am a manufacturer and we typically send out thousands of square feet of face veneer at a time. The last one that we did involved 20,000 square feet; the one before it about 30,000.

It is doubtful that you will find an engineered flooring manufacturer that would be willing to do a small order for your shop.

My situation is different because I already have relationships in place and they know the quality of the material that I will be providing. Thus if I want to do a smaller, custom ultra wide plank order for my own home I can "probably" get it done (but no guarantees).

She has valid points regarding the number of times the floor can be sanded and refinshed, as well as the v-grooves on the edges.

Best of success to you with your projects!

Scott

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Yogi
    Visit Freq
    3.07 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It's a small enough job that I might just attempt to make the planks myself. It's a project for a later day.

-Yogi

13. The following user says Thank You to luckyGoose for this useful post: