Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Extravaganza)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    2.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Plywood vs. solid wood

It is complete.

The two lower shelves are where drawers will eventually go. But for now the caddy is complete because it can fulfill the purpose for which I made it. The smaller shelf will probably get an actual drawer. The lower space will be where my rabbet plane box will go. Actually it will be a briefcase style box that will hold the smaller planes including rabbet, two routers, trim, shoulder, bullnose and their accessories.

This is just a modeled photo to see what I could put on the caddy at one time. I can't imagine a time when I would have this many tools on it at once. I wanted to be sure it wouldn't tip over or have any mobility issues. The spot where the chisels fit in is a box. The top is removable so I can clean out the box or use it for an additional tool tray as seen below.

Set up for assembly work

It fits nicely in the back of Kia, without putting seats down, for taking to work

And it stores easily in my garage. The fact that the wheels straddle the bottom of my workbench was not planned but a very nice bonus. I thought I would have to store it on its top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The following 3 users say Thank You to Richo B :

User
    DQ

Nickname
    Neal (57)
    Visit Freq
    7.32 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Looks great Richo. I may have to build one myself, although my work in IT doesn't require these tools (some days that wouldn't be a bad option though!).

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    2.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Wanted to add a couple photos of the drawer. I built the drawer this past weekend. There are slots for two drawers but I'm going to leave it with one. The lower drawer slot will be filled with a briefcase style box that will hold my rabbet plane and other specialty planes. I'm considering that as a project on its own that will just happen to fit in the caddy when out in the workshop. Otherwise it will live in the cabinet under the counter in the laundry room with the Dutch chest. The lower drawer slot could also be filled with things like a circular saw or other larger tool that wouldn't fit in the top tray or cubby hole.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nickname
    Richo
    Visit Freq
    2.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

So I've used this now a couple times this month while doing projects out in the garage. I've found that it is becoming a tool box of sorts. I have a Dutch chest that resides in the laundry room and is carried out to the garage only when I'm doing woodworking which might only be during the weekend any given week. Then I built a tool tote to carry the heavier tools out to the garage so the Dutch chest won't weigh so much. Well now that I have the caddy, unless I'm doing a big job, I tend to carry the tools I need out to the garage in the tote and then put them into the caddy, leaving the Dutch chest in the house. I did once have the Dutch chest out in the garage and took the tools I needed out and put them right into the caddy. But it appears the best way to keep the tools dry (especially now during the tropical season), is to bring out what I need and put them right into the caddy (in the chisel box, or top tray or top cubby. Haven't had need for the drawer yet.

Interesting how some projects evolve from one thing to another. Last year my big project was the Dutch Chest but the Tool Tote was the most used and versatile thing I made, being useful for both WWing, DIY and Gardening. I even put my harvested food in it when I'm out in the garden. So this year's big project is the chest of drawers I'm doing for the dutch chest but I think the rolling caddy will be the most successful and versatile item I make because of its many uses, and primarily being a temporary tool chest in the garage which as I said above was not its intended purpose.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Bill
    Visit Freq
    6.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Brilliant idea. Stuff always piles up where you don't need it, on top of things you need.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Richard
    Visit Freq
    4.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Funny how what works for you evolves as you find your way. Cool stuff.
    Nothing beats a try but a failure, failure is an opportunity to learn.
    http://graywolfwoodworks.wordpress.com/

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Reggie
    Visit Freq
    6.12 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I built two versions of something similar to what your post describes, with some modifications. Pictures should be in my gallery..One I use for my reloading equipment, the other for workspace and off feed from my table saw. Plywood is the way to go. One sheet should make your entire project! Good luck!
    "The American Republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money!" Alex de Tocqueville"