Thread: First tablesaw

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

First tablesaw

I got into woodworking only a few months ago, but everywhere I look for how to do things, the tablesaw is used everywhere. Ripping, dado's, jointing, you name it. Looking for a list of starting tools for woodworking? Tablesaw's usually #1 or in the top 3.

I've been trying to put it off until I have a few small projects under my belt because of the entry price. I don't a cheap one and can't afford a SawStop. I'm thinking a 'hybrid' would be good, but I don't know the different brands, models, what to look for, etc. I've been told s solid top (cast iron?) and the fence are the most important things. My budget is max $1,000 (unless I can convince the CFO). Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/ideas on what to look at?

On another note, I went to Woodcraft down in Matthews yesterday just to look around since I had the day off. Got a little overwhelmed with everything, but it was really cool. Wanted to buy just about everything but didn't buy a thing. :\

User
    Nickname
    Bryan
    Visit Freq
    5.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: First tablesaw

Hi, Steve, welcome to the addiction! I live right down the street from Woodcraft sup I stop by there from time to time, outta a pretty cool place. Expensive, but cool. It's really the only game in town so that's just how it is.

You don't have to have a crazy expensive saw to make nice things. I picked up a Rigid contractor's saw with a mobile base for $175. It's far from top of the line, but it serves me well with a nice fence and good running, quiet, belt driven motor. I'm just a hobbyist, my most used power tools are: table saw, router, sanders, drill press. I've got a cheapie Skil bandsaw that does what I need it to do, and although I would like a nicer one, space is a concern for me which is why I went for that one.

If you find something on Craigslist post it up and ask what the guys here think.

Papa Red Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Red
    Visit Freq
    5.08 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Watch craigslist or local ads for a used Grizzly. Great saws (I have the G1023RLX) at affordable prices. You don't need a saw stop to make nice things. Good luck in your search.

Red
    Red

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Phil Soper (67)
    Visit Freq
    7.15 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Welcome to the hobby. You can definitely find good used equipment, just be prepared to act very quickly as there are many others searching also. I bought my first Unisaw for $700 and it included the slider option and a dozen blades. It was listed on Craigs list at 1 am, I saw the ad at 5 am and the saw was in my truck at 7 am and there were other hopeful buyers right behind me. A lot of the good stuff is never seen on Craigs list as the ads are only up a few hours - so search often and be prepared to act quickly

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (68)
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Another source for used is the classifieds on this site. Have you checked out this ad? Not mine, and I don't know anything about the seller, but it might we worth a look.
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Grizzly has a hybrid on sale for 750+ 109 shipping. 2 hp, 286#. http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...d-Fence/G0771Z
    Used is probably the best option to get the most saw/$ if you have a lot of patience and are willing to evaluate and pounce quickly. Be aware that a riving knife is an important current standard safety feature reducing kickbacks which may not be present on older saws.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Randy
    Visit Freq
    3.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Welcome to NCWWer.
    I happen to have a lightly used, Delta X5 tablesaw for sale. It has a mobile base and 30 inch extension with a Biesemeyer fence. Several extra blades, a dado set, and a Taper jig are included, as well as a couple of push sticks/blocks. I am asking $500 for all. We are moving and don't have room for the saw. If you are interested, it will be available for inspection/purchase 7/13-7/18. You are about 3 hours from us. Please PM me if you are interested so I can give you the address, etc.
    Good luck with your slide down the slippery slope of woodworking!
    Randy

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    James Davis
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I got a Delta 36-725 new from Lowe's (link) and I really like it. I'm a hobbyist and it's just the right amount of saw for me. Comes with a decent fence, and has safety features like a riving knife, kickback cauls (which admittedly I don't use much), and blade cover. It has a 3 wheel base that engages when the 3rd wheel pedal is engaged so you can move it around the shop, then disengage to stabilize it.

Like others have mentioned, you can also get a good used saw if you are patient for a deal.

Keep in mind that any table saw, new or used, you'll want to tune it to make sure it's squared up. The Wood Whisperer has a good 2 part video on tuning here.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
    Welcome to NCWWer.
    I happen to have a lightly used, Delta X5 tablesaw for sale. It has a mobile base and 30 inch extension with a Biesemeyer fence. Several extra blades, a dado set, and a Taper jig are included, as well as a couple of push sticks/blocks. I am asking $500 for all. We are moving and don't have room for the saw. If you are interested, it will be available for inspection/purchase 7/13-7/18. You are about 3 hours from us. Please PM me if you are interested so I can give you the address, etc.
    Good luck with your slide down the slippery slope of woodworking!
    Wow that's a great deal, Steve you should think hard about this, well worth the drive.
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks - I'm trying to figure out how to get it. I have a truck but no way to get it in the bed. probably going to have to rent/borrow a trailer with a ramp.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Rent one of those drop bed trailers- whole bed goes up and down.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Tom
    Visit Freq
    4.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have a Jet 10" Workhorse saw a few years old. It cost me $450 new....The rule of thumb is used tools go for 50% of the new price. Of course, you figure in how much it has been used, how well it has been maintained, extras that come with the use saw (extra blades, dado, fence upgrade).
    The thing that holds up all my woodworking is simply getting started.

Nickname
    Joe (50)
    Visit Freq
    4.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by redknife View Post
    Grizzly has a hybrid on sale for 750+ 109 shipping. 2 hp, 286#. http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...d-Fence/G0771Z.
    I have this Saw.
    great saw for the money.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Gene
    Visit Freq
    6.31 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by dazart View Post
    Thanks - I'm trying to figure out how to get it. I have a truck but no way to get it in the bed. probably going to have to rent/borrow a trailer with a ramp.
    I've loaded a unisaw into a pickup with two 2X6, solo. It's all about leverage.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.73 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You might consider a Bosch 4100-09 with the gravity rise stand as a darn decent starter saw right out of the box. It has a relatively small shop footprint compared to a cabinet saw but a lot of versatility even as your woodworking skill sets improve.

About $600 at Amazon, Lowe's, or HD.

http://www.thesharpcut.com/bosch-4100-09/

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09.../dp/B000S5S5CW