Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Locations)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: First tablesaw

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: First tablesaw

Yep - I see them put foam insulation or something on the ground, then put the plywood on that and use a circular saw and a guide to cut it. That seemed a lot easier to me.

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

or you can do it on top of some saw horses or a table (the foam will protect the table) that way you can stand up instead of crawling around on the ground like a bug.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Steve congrats on your new table saw and kudos as well for taking a class first. Any piece of equipment has its hazards and it's good to know you started off the correct way.
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by dazart View Post
    I've thought about using a track for the circular saw to cut sheets to smaller sizes - the thought of cutting a sheet on a table saw make me a little nervous. Then again - I only used a table saw for the first time in the safety class yesterday...
    A nice solution for breaking down large panels is the Centipede 4x8 support with 2" foam on top. Sets up and breaks down very quickly. I think there have been other good threads on this topic.

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

They are cool looking. Never seen one in a store anywhere but the images and videos online look way awesome!

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

So I spent the day trying to get the saw aligned and I just can't get it to budge. I used a combination square to measure the distance from the miter slot to a tooth in the front, moved that tooth to the back and checked with the combination square and the back is about 1/16th of an inch closer to the fence side miter slot than the front. So I'm afraid that may cause kickback.

I've done my best to move the trunions (?) so that I can get the front and the back the same distance, but I just can't get it to budge. I had loosened 3 of the bolts to try to move it but that didn't work. I talked to Mike Davis and he tried to help me out over the phone. I'm going to order a dial gauge so I can get a little more precise, but that'll be pretty useless until I can move it. I have this arriving Wednesday, but I ordered that a while ago and I don't know if it will work for what I need to do until it gets here. He also said I may need to loosen all 4 and move it first, then dial it in, but I'm having problems getting to that 4th one. it's in the front behind all the moving parts.

I really hope I'm just doing something wrong and it's an easy fix. I saw one youtube video where the guy actually had to drill bigger holes for the bolts so it had more space to adjust. Hopefully it's not that - all I have is a hand drill.

Is there anyone near Huntersville that might be willing to stop by my house and help figure it out?

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Randy
    Visit Freq
    4.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Sorry you are having problems aligning the blade, Steve. I will stand by the saw and pay for any repairs required to make it right. I want you to be happy with the saw. I don't understand what could have happened. I used that saw for many years and never had to adjust it after initial setup. It was always accurate for me. I wonder if it coming off the base during loading could have twisted the frame and caused it??
    Please keep me posted on this situation.
    Randy

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

So I spent the day trying to get the saw aligned and I just can't get it to budge. I used a combination square to measure the distance from the miter slot to a tooth in the front, moved that tooth to the back and checked with the combination square and the back is about 1/16th of an inch closer to the fence side miter slot than the front. So I'm afraid that may cause kickback.

I've done my best to move the trunions (?) so that I can get the front and the back the same distance, but I just can't get it to budge. I had loosened 3 of the bolts to try to move it but that didn't work. I talked to Mike Davis and he tried to help me out over the phone. I'm going to order a dial gauge so I can get a little more precise, but that'll be pretty useless until I can move it. I have this arriving Wednesday, but I ordered that a while ago and I don't know if it will work for what I need to do until it gets here. He also said I may need to loosen all 4 and move it first, then dial it in, but I'm having problems getting to that 4th one. it's in the front behind all the moving parts.

I really hope I'm just doing something wrong and it's an easy fix. I saw one youtube video where the guy actually had to drill bigger holes for the bolts so it had more space to adjust. Hopefully it's not that - all I have is a hand drill.

Is there anyone near Huntersville that might be willing to stop by my house and help figure it out?
    I probably am not understanding something: I understand that your blade is not aligned with the miter slot. I believe in that saw you loosen the table top bolts, not the trunnions, and adjust the table to the blade. Could be wrong. Double check your manual.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...ls/36-441B.pdf

It's model 36-451x. It's a contractor saw, so I assumed it was the trunions.

10. The following user says Thank You to dazart for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Ahh, makes sense. For some reason I thought you had gotten a Unisaw cabinet saw.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.58 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yeah, I don't remember what I was holding when we lifted it. I could have been something when we were putting it on the trailer. Who knows.

Don't worry about it.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Randy
    Visit Freq
    4.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If I remember correctly, you were lifting it by the cast iron top and it came off the base. Then we sat it down, half on half off while getting another grip.
    After a couple attempts, with your wife holding the "lifting"wheel of the base, we wrestled it back into the mobile base.
    Don't know if that's what did it but I still stand by my offer to pay for repairs.
    Please keep me posted on what you find. Good luck.
    Randy

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

He also said I may need to loosen all 4 and move it first, then dial it in, but I'm having problems getting to that 4th one. it's in the front behind all the moving parts.
    See page 21 of your manual above. There are 4 trunnion bolts and all of them have to be loosened for re-alignment. You may have to do some disassembly to get to bolt #4 (Figure 51 is only showing the 2 rear bolts). A convenient error of omission!