Nickname
    Raymond (63)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: First tablesaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    You might consider a Bosch 4100-09 with the gravity rise stand as a darn decent starter saw right out of the box. It has a relatively small shop footprint compared to a cabinet saw but a lot of versatility even as your woodworking skill sets improve.

About $600 at Amazon, Lowe's, or HD.

http://www.thesharpcut.com/bosch-4100-09/

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-4100-09.../dp/B000S5S5CW

Gene, +1 on the Bosch 4100-09. I have one - well, maybe I should say "had one". I lent mine to my brother (in Ohio) and now it seems my niece has commandeered it. It looks like I will be buying another one so I can get some WW'ing in.
    I like making things. I have a wood shop at home. I am a terrible carpenter but I love doing it. Raymond - Charlotte, NC

User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    2.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Check local CL for a used *cabinet* saw.

Stay away from contractor & job site saws and the consumer saws you see at the big box stores. That being said, I've seen quite a few posts by guys with Rigid that are satisfied.

As an economical entry level machine, I don't think you can go wrong with the Grizzly 2HP hybrid.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If you have never used a table saw I suggest you take a class on woodworking at a local college if possible. Table saws are dangerous if not used correctly. Try and find someone to mentor you or train you on safety and proper procedures.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.51 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I'm going to a table saw safety class on the 16th at Woodcraft in Matthews on the 16th.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Randy
    Visit Freq
    4.27 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Had the pleasure to meet Steve and his wife when they picked up the saw I had for sale. I think he will be a nice addition to NCWWer. He is full of energy and excited about learning more about woodworking. Welcome to our crazy world, Steve.
    Randy

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.51 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks Randy. You and your wife were really nice too. I'm kicking myself for not being able to take that band saw off
    your hands.

Took the day off to make sure nothing moved during the drive and then may go get some wood to warm her up.

Thanks again!

7. The following user says Thank You to dazart for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have said that if I were starting over I might not even get a table saw. Something to consider are the "track saw" type systems. The one I like is from EZSmart and allows me to use my own circular saw with it. The reason I like them so much is that no only does it do nice accurate cuts with the clamps but it has an integrated accessory for cutting at 90 or other angle. They can be accessed at http://www.eurekazone.com/ and they have a forum you can ask questions at with a link right on their front page. Look at their UEG, Track-System, and "Cabinet Maker". They have table systems but they were priced out of my range and not necessary so far.

There are others such as TruTrac and now Kreg has both an edge guide and a ripping guide but I have yet to be impressed with them, though I haven't actually tried them, they just felt too flimsy in my hands.

You can also make an edge guide and cross cut guide for a good circular saw and seriously not need a table saw. With a good quality circular saw, and "cheaper" blades (because they are smaller) you can afford to do more stuff with less investment. And if you give up on wodworking, you won't have as hard of a time moving a circular saw on CL as you would getting more than a dime on the dollar for a table saw.

Search DIY Track Saw on youtube for some cheap ideas. You can make lots of stuff without a table saw....

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

If somebody took my tables away I would probably stop wood working. It touches nearly every piece of wood that passes through my shop.

1995 Delta contractor saw.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

10. The following user says Thank You to Mike Davis for this useful post:

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

When all you have is a hammer everything looks like a nail

I doubt I will ever get rid of my Ridgid TS2424 ... unless I replace it with a grunt-worthy cabinet or at least hybrid saw. And, I also put so much through it relative to a project. Especially if I can run a dado stack.

But if I had to start over, blank slate empty room, no tools and limited budget... I would get the best circular saw with the best blade I could afford. As opposed to getting the cheapest circular saw I could find and using it with the blade it came with until the teeth fell off . (Which is what I actually did)

Between what you can do with one as-is or with quickly (and cheaply or even freely) diy-makeable ripping and crosscut guides I think one could do quite a bit of very safe {powered} woodworking on the very cheap.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe View Post
    I have said that if I were starting over I might not even get a table saw. Something to consider are the "track saw" type systems. The one I like is from EZSmart and allows me to use my own circular saw with it. The reason I like them so much is that no only does it do nice accurate cuts with the clamps but it has an integrated accessory for cutting at 90 or other angle. They can be accessed at http://www.eurekazone.com/ and they have a forum you can ask questions at with a link right on their front page. Look at their UEG, Track-System, and "Cabinet Maker". They have table systems but they were priced out of my range and not necessary so far.

There are others such as TruTrac and now Kreg has both an edge guide and a ripping guide but I have yet to be impressed with them, though I haven't actually tried them, they just felt too flimsy in my hands.

You can also make an edge guide and cross cut guide for a good circular saw and seriously not need a table saw. With a good quality circular saw, and "cheaper" blades (because they are smaller) you can afford to do more stuff with less investment. And if you give up on wodworking, you won't have as hard of a time moving a circular saw on CL as you would getting more than a dime on the dollar for a table saw.

Search DIY Track Saw on youtube for some cheap ideas. You can make lots of stuff without a table saw....
    i set out to build my shop like this- track saw without table saw. For me, I found too many limitations to the track system compared to a table saw. I guess I lasted about 6-12 months before deciding to buy a table saw. Both turned out to be the best answer for me, but were I to pick one or the other it would be the table saw.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    3.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    If somebody took my tables away I would probably stop wood working. It touches nearly every piece of wood that passes through my shop.

1995 Delta contractor saw.
    Im with Mike here, Id be lost without mine. Some people swear all they need is a tracksaw or a bandsaw or whatever saw. The plain truth is, some tools do some things great that they were designed to do, like a bandsaw for cutting thick stock either curved or (roughly) straight. But these machine tools we use are specifically designed to one thing well typically. Tablesaws are designed for ripping. Sure, they do other things, crosscutting with a sled or dadoing for instance. But they are designed to rip.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by dazart View Post
    Thanks Randy. You and your wife were really nice too. I'm kicking myself for not being able to take that band saw off
    your hands.

Took the day off to make sure nothing moved during the drive and then may go get some wood to warm her up.

Thanks again!
    Awesome, congrats on your new saw. Good decision. Enjoy it.

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

FWIW, I just changed my TS to a rip blade Every tool has its place. But since I started using the track system, I find myself reaching for it more and more, especially with larger panels. I originally got it because I was limited to 24" for my fence on the TS and doing cabinets, that was too limiting. Now perhaps if I had started off with a 50" Unisaw... things would be different. I didn't like the lack of repeatability of waste-ripping to get pieces over 24", and I didn't want to build a huge panel sled, or move my rails right to get a wider rip. I do like the price difference between 7-1/4" and 10" blades too.

No silver bullets here, but starting out, a good CS and blade, with even a door guide (2 piece plywood rip guide) and a cross-cut box that cuts dead 90 would do more than 90% of all the TS tasks a newbie would want to do for quite a few projects if not years.

But I agree that of you want to take my TS away you better come armed! Or at least be delivering a better one.

Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    6.51 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I've thought about using a track for the circular saw to cut sheets to smaller sizes - the thought of cutting a sheet on a table saw make me a little nervous. Then again - I only used a table saw for the first time in the safety class yesterday...

User
    Nickname
    Abs
    Visit Freq
    2.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have not only cut sheet goods on a TS, I cut them on a too light, undersized, unstable table saw. I have also cut them properly on an appropriately sized and stabilized saw. If you are going to do it safely you need to have the wood supported all around, infeed, outfeed and side. In theory this could mean about 64 sqft (estimated 8' behind, 8' ahead and 4 ft to the side) to rip a sheet of plywood. With a track system you only need the size of the plywood 32 sq ft.

Worst case, break it down to rough dimensions with cs and then use your fence and cross cut sleds to dial it in to exact dimensions. Think safety, keep all your fingers and limbs.