DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Finally started on new shop

Didn't get much done today but did get the fist two rows of sub-floor down in the office area of the shop.

A little progress is better than none I guess.
    "Don't raise your voice, Improve your argument" - unknown

"May the grain be with you" - Roy Underhill

2. The following 3 users say Thank You to KenOfCary :

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by KenOfCary View Post
    Didn't get much done today but did get the fist two rows of sub-floor down in the office area of the shop.

A little progress is better than none I guess.
    Hey Ken- how does that subfloor feel under foot compared to Jeremy's plywood/foam? Did you figure out a price comparison?

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by redknife View Post
    Hey Ken- how does that subfloor feel under foot compared to Jeremy's plywood/foam? Did you figure out a price comparison?
    I had used OVRX Barricade flooring in my prior shop, but it was no longer available in the US. The Dricore is available and is very similar. It is a little less than $2/sqft. Not sure what Jeremy spent - probably a bit less. The advantage of this is that it has channels to drain any water that might get underneath the sub-floor and with the foam underneath it is very easy on the feet and ankles. The main reason I wanted to use the OVRX or the equivalent DirCore.

Another advantage is that this is 2' x 2' T&G pieces that interlock and is also a floating sub-floor. Very easy to put down and I really like the way it works. Needs no moisture barrier since it has the channels to wick away moisture.

As far as feel, I expect Jeremy's and this are about equivalent, both should be easy on the feet/ankles. I just like the way this goes down and the interlocking pieces make that easy.

When I talked to Jeremy about his floor, he mentioned that he had a little trouble leveling the OSB since it didn't have T&G but I also gathered that was a minor issue. As I said, he probably saved a little money doing it his way. I chose this way though as easier and very stable as a sub-floor.

For the main shop area, I'll just paint over the OSB as he did, but in this Office area I'll be adding a click-lock finished floor over the sub-floor.

Thanks for asking. It is definitely a work in process.

5. The following user says Thank You to KenOfCary for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (36)
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by redknife View Post
    Here is a thread that talks about both products and some pricing at the time: https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...light=subfloor

I used 3/4" Advantech OSB over 1" Rigid Foam insulation. The OSB has tongue and groove along the long edges only, so it doesn't interlock on the 4' butt joints. I don't see that as a huge issue, but Tongue and Groove all around each panel would be better. The 4x8 sheets of OSB were hard to work with, they are very heavy.

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I looked through that thread and didn't really see a cost comparison - probably missed it. I paid $6.90 per 2x2 square of R+ Dricore. That is less than $2/Square Foot. Really interested in what Jeremy paid for his installation per square foot. I know mine was easier to do, but if the savings were significant that might change the situation. Both solutions should be equivalent in comfort and support for the equipment. Concrete floors are very hard on the feet/ankles/knees as I've discovered once again while installing walls/flooring/electrical.

On a side note - I finished the Office Area sub-floor and bought enough finish click-lock laminate flooring to finish that room. It is acclimating now and will be put down in a few days - I hope. Still have a lot of framing to do and the electrical wiring. Phil came by one more time to help get me started on the electrical rough-in. Learned a lot from him again. I really need to get the framing finished before doing any more electrical or sub-floor.

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (36)
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Cost comparison is in the very 1st post of the thread. When going with the 1" thick rigid foam + OSB, the cost is a bit lower (10-15% lower), but you get double the R-value. The downside is that it is harder to install and the gaps don't close up as nicely.

If I was covering the floor with some kind of laminate flooring, then the fact that it isn't tongue and groove on all sides wouldn't matter. It also wouldn't matter that there are some small gaps in places since it will be covered. If the subfloor is going to be the "final floor" then I would strongly consider the dricore product that Ken is using.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Thanks for this discussion. Hadn't thought through the work of moving that many full sheets of plywood.
    Glad to hear you continue to progress. Takes a while.

Board of Directors
    Treasurer
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Ken
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

With the help of 4 friends we got all the framing done and a start on the wiring. Thanks to Phil, Bill, John, and Barry for the help - it really moved things along.

Since they left I've been working on the sub-floor installation and am almost done with that. I've been installing the Dricore R+ subfloor and gradually moving the equipment onto the sub-floor and out of the way of installing more. Still need to finish it and paint the sub-floor gray, but minor progress has been made.

One of my biggest challenges is how to get that band-saw lifted up the 1" to get it off the concrete and onto the sub-floor. Everything else has been moved onto the sub-floor.

A lot of clutter to move around in order to get the sub-floor painted and overhead lighting fixtures installed, but we're getting there. Slow but sure wins the race.

I seem to have ordered more Dricore than I needed - guess I miscalculated the square footage. Or included the mechanical room in my calculations, so maybe I'll just use some of it in there.

I put the sub-floor down in the office area and then put finished flooring in there and that has turned out great. Right now the band saw is set up in there to cut the pieces of sub-floor that need to be trimmed to fit.

There's a lot still to do, but things are progressing. I do miss having my shop equipment available to help with the process, but things are working towards a real solution, and I should have a lot more room than in my previous shop.

Thanks again to all who have helped move this project forward. I have some true friends within NCWW, who traveled far to help me out.

11. The following 2 users say Thank You to KenOfCary :