Thread: Workshop Design

Nickname
    John
    Visit Freq
    6.13 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Workshop Design

Thanks for the advice about the TTW units - hadn't really given them much consideration until you mentioned them. Insulation also seems to be a fairly uniform piece of advice so that will likely be my first step while im playing around with the scale drawing. I do plan on investing in a decent DC setup from the get go. Just waiting for the right post on craigslist or elsewhere. Otherwise, I should be in a decent position to invest in a good DC unit by the end of the year. (Incidentally Ive done some reading on Bill Pentz's site and Ive gotta admit he's got me a bit nervous about making sure Im properly protecting myself and my family from dust exposure.) Thanks for helping me to prioritize!
    Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Daniel
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie View Post
    This may belong under a new thread but since they were mentioned in this one Ill take the risk and ask for forgiveness afterwards if needed .

Several of you have mentioned mini-split HVAC systems for a garage workshop, something I'm keenly interested in both for comfort and to help combat rust formation on cast iron during the summer in particular. Is there a specific system that you would recommend based on your own experience? Are there any that I should avoid? The space I'm conditioning is a two gar garage (finished) with 12' ceilings.

John
    Every HVAC contractor I contacted would only install the Mitsubishi brand, they all called the other brands "junk" Now not sure how much this is a Ford vs Chevy type argument, or if Mitsubishi just has really good marketing, or if the other brands are junk

Quote Originally Posted by VTHokie View Post
    Thanks for the advice about the TTW units - hadn't really given them much consideration until you mentioned them. Insulation also seems to be a fairly uniform piece of advice so that will likely be my first step while im playing around with the scale drawing. I do plan on investing in a decent DC setup from the get go. Just waiting for the right post on craigslist or elsewhere. Otherwise, I should be in a decent position to invest in a good DC unit by the end of the year. (Incidentally Ive done some reading on Bill Pentz's site and Ive gotta admit he's got me a bit nervous about making sure Im properly protecting myself and my family from dust exposure.) Thanks for helping me to prioritize!
    I looked into them, but I didn't have a good spot in the wall to put one, and I didn't want a massive tail end of HVAC sticking out the side of my house for aesthetic reasons (also, some home owners associations wouldn't allow this), and I was able to get a mini-split that can handle upto 3 interior units, so I added one to my back porch at the same time.

3. The following user says Thank You to tri4sale for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Steve
    Visit Freq
    5.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by tri4sale View Post
    Every HVAC contractor I contacted would only install the Mitsubishi brand, they all called the other brands "junk"
    We frequently put small mini-splits in computer closets where the load is 24/7 and the building manager wants to tune down the building HVAC off-hours. My experience is that anything Japanese or Korean is going to hold up well since that is about 95% of what all their buildings use and they have been making them for 40 years. We've had successful results with Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Sanyo, LG, and Samsung. (I just designed a 18,000 BTU (1-1/2 ton) Mitsubishi unit feeding a short duct branch for a 1,150 SF attic up-fit in Cary.) I'm expecting US manufacturers to catch up as more people install them and they refine their designs and manufacturing, but I don't have any successful experience with them yet.
    Last edited by SteveHall; 05-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Steve Hall | 919-685-7874 | http://SteveHallArchitecture.com

5. The following user says Thank You to SteveHall for this useful post: