Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (Asheville)

Special Events in the next 30 days

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Milling some wood for chair parts

Well I got out in the shop today and the sky was a bit overcast but no sign of rain. I wasn't courageous enough to fire up the steambox so I decided to mill down some figure maple for a chair project down the road.

As most of you know from other photos I have posted here, I paint most all of my chairs. From time to time, a customer comes along that insists on a chair with a natural finish and that includes some highly figured wood to boost the interest a bit. Yes the price goes up.

The
    legs below are painted red as a base coat followed by a light/thinned black coat to create interest. If you are wondering??? they are not curly maple painted.

Standing
    at the lathe with chips flying around is not much fun. The maple is air dried and it does not come off the gauge in ribbons like the green stuff does. It is somewhat dry but not kiln dried and brittle.

To
    keep the turning tools sharp as long as possible, I try to do most of the stock preparation BEFORE I turn on the lathe. I mill 2 1/16 square blanks and then trim to octagonal shaped cylinders before mounting them on the lathe between centers.

As you can imagine there are a fair number of ripped scraps around from the steps illustrated here.

If anybody in the area around Durham should have a use for these small scraps, let me know and you can come by and they are yours.

New England combback style chair view from rear

As I try to build up my inventory of hoops for my bowback chairs, I am making arm chairs like the one below. Unlike the cherry rail below, I am getting university logos lasered in the crestrail to make it a little more special. The logo would go in the center of the rail.

Some of the tricks/techniques I use to make some chairs look very old you can see in the knuckle above. The paint for this process is milk paint and the faded pitted look here was to match a very old chair in a family estate standoff. Lots of volutes carved on these chairs.

By the way that's a Hawken 50cal with a tapered barrel in some walnut. She lives up in the Adirondack area now and keeps the deer herd thinned back a little.

So
    I guess a little lunch is in order and then its back to turning blanks.

later

2. The following 11 users say Thank You to danmart77 :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Milling some wood for chair parts

I thought that you were still searching for a few red/white oak trees for green wood riving and steam bending for bows and arms, etc.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Roy
    Visit Freq
    6.81 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

i wonder how maple is for smoking meat? Those pieces are the right size.

Roy G

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I thought that you were still searching for a few red/white oak trees for green wood riving and steam bending for bows and arms, etc.
    Always Jeff but things are slow in the forest. I'm thinking of visiting a few local sawyers to see if I can find some oak that will work for steam and bending.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by danmart77 View Post
    Always Jeff but things are slow in the forest. I'm thinking of visiting a few local sawyers to see if I can find some oak that will work for steam and bending.
    Call Ricky in Bahama?

You said it was too dreary and rainy to fire up the steam box so I assumed that you had new wood ready to bend. My bad.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Dan (65)
    Visit Freq
    6.65 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Call Ricky in Bahama?

You said it was too dreary and rainy to fire up the steam box so I assumed that you had new wood ready to bend. My bad.
    I have called Ricky in the past and I have been out to his yard. I like his yellow pine and I will use his place again for that. I asked about oak and logs on a visit and he said he didn't work with it other than an interest in live edge stuff.

I need smaller log diameters with dead straight trunks at least 6 feet long before splitting it out.

Recently I tried for the first time to "short cut" the labor effort by buying some green quarter sawn white oak. It looked good at the 4/4 rough stage but it failed in the bending stage. In the end, its just hard to beat wood that was split out from the log. Sometimes you can get lucky with cut stuff but most times its less than 50/50

Hope to find some soon.