DQ
    Nickname
    Susan (57)
    Visit Freq
    1.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Full-Time RV - Scroll Saw or Woodturning

We have about decided on a super c from Nexus. We like the safety of a C-class although there is more cargo carrying capacity in an A.
    If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.” - James Anthony Froude

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Susan (57)
    Visit Freq
    1.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Project size is one of the big reasons I was swinging toward scroll saw. Marquetry can be veneered to a box, a cabinet or put on a flat surface and hung as a picture. Like I do now, anything I make I would probably be giving it away and other RV'rs wouldn't have room for bowls, vases, etc. any more than I would.
    If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea. -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

“Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow-creatures is amusing in itself.” - James Anthony Froude

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Susan (57)
    Visit Freq
    1.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

LOL, Berta. If you did that in a motorhome, you wouldn't have enough weight left over for groceries! The approximate 2,500 pounds most often available after the motorhome has been built has to include your water, propane, food, passengers, pots and pans and everything else. It's amazing that most of the blogs I read say that they fill up their CCC with only the "necessities."

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Susan (57)
    Visit Freq
    1.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We've gone over all of that, I hope. People think that living in an RV is less expensive, but many times it costs the same as living in a house. Our plan is to sell our place and buy an RV with the proceeds. Then live on our military retirement and social security. There are many wonderful things to see and do in this country that cost little to nothing. We plan on doing this for ten to 15 years, then finally moving into an apartment when we get too old or too ill to want to do it anymore. We don't plan on going crazy with the travel and, being retired military, we can stay at Air Force and Navy Base RV parks. We want to spend 2-3 months in Washington, DC; then a couple of months in Maine, a couple more in Philadelphia, Canada, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Sequoia National Forest, etc....wherever and whenever we feel like visiting. We want to take our time in each location and really get to know the area. If you stay in a park for a month, nightly rates are generally 50% less than normal. The coach we picked out also comes with solar and a 90 gallon fresh water tank for boondocking.

After 10-15 years we should have seen enough of the country to know where we want to settle down. We just don't want to be spending most of the time we have left on a house and yard. It's wonderful for many people, but we want to try something different.

I know this section of the forum is about "General Woodworking" and I apologize to the moderators for this thread becoming an RV chat. But I do enjoy talking about RVing full time and getting other ideas about it.

Now, back to woodworking!

Board of Directors
    Events Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Roberta
    Visit Freq
    5.54 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You, my friend, are living the dream!
    Berta

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.69 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by BKind2Anmls View Post
    LOL, Berta. If you did that in a motorhome, you wouldn't have enough weight left over for groceries! The approximate 2,500 pounds most often available after the motorhome has been built has to include your water, propane, food, passengers, pots and pans and everything else. It's amazing that most of the blogs I read say that they fill up their CCC with only the "necessities."
    By necessities they're meaning clamps right?
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board

User
    Nickname
    Guy Belleman
    Visit Freq
    1.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Well, I would take the mini-lathe. I always see small pices of wood around and making small items like pens and bottle stoppers as you travel would appeal to me. A hand saw can cut down wood to usable size. I would think lifting a mini-lathe to a table just as easy as a scroll saw. I find the variety of items a lathe can produce to be extremely satisfying.