DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Starting desk/bookcase project

My wife has wanted a slant front desk and bookcase for a while and I decided I better get started before I am too old to move the parts around in the shop. We visited MESDA and looked at some examples and settled on a hybrid of several Krause desks from the 1790's. There is a Carlyle Lynch drawing of a Krause desk that will provide the basic structure and dimensions. I will take some details of the interior drawers and compartments from other Krause pieces in the Old Salem collection. She wants cherry rather than walnut and I am just as happy to get a break from walnut dust which sets off low grade allergies for me.

Looking through the cherry I had on hand I found enough nice stuff to make the desk case and feet and enough straight grain stuff to make the moldings. So I am starting from the ground up. I decided to use the bracket feet as an opportunity to cut full blind mitered dovetail joints for the front feet. You have to cut the pins first to make this joint (which I had never done) and sneak up on the mitered surfaces. I had to trash the first set since it was too loose fitting off the saw--actually I recycled the pieces for the rear feet which are half blind dovetailed since they face the rear of the piece. Notice the glue on the tailboard in one of the pictures. Had to stop and take a photo when I remembered this view would never be available again if all goes well.

Now starting to dovetail the case.
    Beginning to think about where I can get some wide figured show cherry for the drawer fronts and fallboard. That is down the road a bit, maybe literally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Charlie Buchanan; 04-14-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Starting desk/bookcase project

Charlie, if this piece is even half as nice as some of your previous pieces, it will be a work of art. I'm looking forward to following your progress and seeing the finished product.

Do you have a pic of what you are working toward?
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clemmons View Post
    Charlie, if this piece is even half as nice as some of your previous pieces, it will be a work of art. I'm looking forward to following your progress and seeing the finished product.

Do you have a pic of what you are working toward?
    Bill,
    Here's a little sketch from the Lynch plans that shows the basic structure. I'm going to change the gallery design using photo from another Krause desk.

The second photo is from MESDA files showing another Krause desk gallery. Not going to use all these drawers but adding the doored central compartment flanked by step back drawers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. The following 5 users say Thank You to Charlie Buchanan :

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

where I can get some wide figured show cherry for the drawer fronts and fallboard.
    How about up the road in Kernersville? Glenn has exceptionally nice wood.

http://www.gpshardwoods.com/lumber-for-sale.html

I can't find Krause or Krauss circa 1790-1800 furniture so you'll have to point us in the right direction. Just curious.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I can't find Krause or Krauss circa 1790-1800 furniture so you'll have to point us in the right direction. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Jeff,
    Its my sloppy spelling. Here is a link to the Krause piece that appears in the Lynch plans:

http://mesda.org/item/object/desk-and-bookcase/5840/

I am using some cherry from GPS for the molding and feet. It is nice straight grained stuff. I don't want to glue up a panel for the fallboard so I need something pretty wide and with some nice figure.

7. The following user says Thank You to Charlie Buchanan for this useful post:

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Charlie, Looks like another winner.

Have you built any of the pieces from the Norm Vandal book?

9. The following user says Thank You to TENdriver for this useful post:

Nickname
    Andrew
    Visit Freq
    0.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Beautiful already (those mitered blind dovetails are so nicely done), and the curve on the bracket feet have a gorgeous swoop.

Can't wait to see more. Should be quite a project!

11. The following user says Thank You to AAAndrew for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by TENdriver View Post
    Charlie, Looks like another winner.

Have you built any of the pieces from the Norm Vandal book?

Tendriver,
    Have not seen the book, but I have read articles by him on bracket feet in FW. Useful ideas.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Buchanan View Post
    Bill,
    Here's a little sketch from the Lynch plans that shows the basic structure. I'm going to change the gallery design using photo from another Krause desk.

That same piece was included in the book "Furniture in the Southern Style" by Glen Huey and Bob Lang, which featured pieces in the MESDA collection. It included a CD of SketchUp drawings by Bob Lang. Let me know if you use SketchUp.
    I'll gladly tell you how I do something. Just please don't confuse that with the right way to do it, and almost certainly not the only way.

Nickname
    TENdriver
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Charlie, Lee Valley has paperback version of Norm Vandal's book on Queen Anne furniture on clearance. Think there may be free shipping right now. Haven't checked other prices but I've paid retail and above retail twice to have a copy.

Looking at some of the fantastic pieces you've built, I think you'll like the book. It's a very well written and outstanding resource.

15. The following user says Thank You to TENdriver for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clemmons View Post
    That same piece was included in the book "Furniture in the Southern Style" by Glen Huey and Bob Lang, which featured pieces in the MESDA collection. It included a CD of SketchUp drawings by Bob Lang. Let me know if you use SketchUp.
    Bill,
    That appears to be the same photo as in the Huey/Lang book. So I fired up Sketchup when I first started this project and it turns out that many of the dimensions in the Sketchup version are different from the Lynch drawings. Even the dovetails of the desk case are oriented differently. The gallery drawer fronts are higher in Sketchup version. The more I compared the two the more differences I found. The molding profiles of the Lynch plans are closer to what I can see in the original. I am sure the Sketchup version is internally consistent but it was clear I could not mix the two plans and I liked the look of the Lynch version better so I went with it. I am not trying for an exact duplicate of any particular desk--The foot profile I cut comes from a different Strause desk altogether, for example--but I had to pick one or the other plan.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Bill (69)
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Buchanan View Post
    Bill,
    That appears to be the same photo as in the Huey/Lang book. So I fired up Sketchup when I first started this project and it turns out that many of the dimensions in the Sketchup version are different from the Lynch drawings. Even the dovetails of the desk case are oriented differently. The gallery drawer fronts are higher in Sketchup version. The more I compared the two the more differences I found. The molding profiles of the Lynch plans are closer to what I can see in the original. I am sure the Sketchup version is internally consistent but it was clear I could not mix the two plans and I liked the look of the Lynch version better so I went with it. I am not trying for an exact duplicate of any particular desk--The foot profile I cut comes from a different Strause desk altogether, for example--but I had to pick one or the other plan.

Interesting. I would definitely stick w/ the Carlisle Lynch plans. From the few I've seen over the years they are extremely accurate and far more detailed.

User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    2.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Nice work. Recently finished a dresser with same style legs.

Curious as to why you chose blind DT's vs. miter/spline on the front legs.

Corporate Member
    DQ

Nickname
    Charlie
    Visit Freq
    5.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Rwe2156 View Post
    Nice work. Recently finished a dresser with same style legs.

Curious as to why you chose blind DT's vs. miter/spline on the front legs.
    DrBob,
    I recently was at a furniture seminar where a maker passed around a dry fit set and I wanted to learn how to make them. Some desks use the full blind miter dovetails on the top/side joint, too and it's cheaper to learn the joint on the feet.

Senior User
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Some desks use the full blind miter dovetails on the top/side joint, too and it's cheaper to learn the joint on the feet.
    I vaguely recall another member (danmart77) commenting about blind dovetails in 18-19th century cabinet construction. I think that he used them too in a reproduction piece that he was building but I can't find his thread so maybe he'll chime in. This pic is from his "Linen Press" gallery.

Here's an interesting video tutorial on the subject from Colonial Williamsburg.

https://woodandshop.com/secret-miter...-cabinet-shop/

21. The following user says Thank You to Jeff for this useful post: