Thread: Workshop wiring

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Workshop wiring

Well that certainly makes things easier!

Thanks for clearing that up.

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Back to surface mounted ...

Just met with the builder at the lot and although half of the garage has 'attic' space above it - the half where the workshop will be, the other half (where the main panel is) does not - there is a finished ceiling/floor.

Even if there was a void above, there are loads of noggings and the top plate is 3/4 studs thick and right up against a steeply sloped roof, so I wouldn't be able to get a long drill bit in to drill through the noggings.

Still waiting to hear back what the cost of a 60A or 100A surface mounted sub panel would be.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    Dave
    Visit Freq
    6.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Just a FYI. They make special, long drill bits to solve the drilling problem of plates. Upwards of 6' long. They are flexible enough so you can snake them thru the outlet hole in drywall. Even Lowe's sells them. May be $40-50. They will even have a hole drilled through the drill bit tip so you can hook your wire on and pull it back through to the outlet.

If you do put your wires in conduit, get a electricians snake and pull the wires through with the snake. Also get the wire lube and lube the crap out of the wires as they go into the conduit. It will really make the pulling a lot easier.

User
    Nickname
    Bruce
    Visit Freq
    6.42 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
    Just a FYI. They make special, long drill bits to solve the drilling problem of plates. Upwards of 6' long. They are flexible enough so you can snake them thru the outlet hole in drywall. Even Lowe's sells them. May be $40-50. They will even have a hole drilled through the drill bit tip so you can hook your wire on and pull it back through to the outlet.

If you do put your wires in conduit, get a electricians snake and pull the wires through with the snake. Also get the wire lube and lube the crap out of the wires as they go into the conduit. It will really make the pulling a lot easier.
    Wire lube is only necessary on service conductors. All other, because of fill capacity, and the necessity of having a pull boxes, are easy pulls. By using EMT, rather than plastic, you don't have to run a separate ground conductor. Over at Sawmill Creek, in the workshop section, Julie has an EXCELLENT section of conduit bending and installation.

5. The following user says Thank You to junquecol for this useful post:

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Regarding 240V outlets, does anyone have any 30A circuits in their workshop, or is 20A the norm?

I've only ever seen one piece of (woodworking) equipment which requires in excess of 20A and that is the Grizzly G1023RLWX table saw which is rated at 23A full load, so Grizzly specify a minimum circuit rating of 30A.

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Brogan View Post
    Regarding 240V outlets, does anyone have any 30A circuits in their workshop, or is 20A the norm?

I've only ever seen one piece of (woodworking) equipment which requires in excess of 20A and that is the Grizzly G1023RLWX table saw which is rated at 23A full load, so Grizzly specify a minimum circuit rating of 30A.
    I think you'll find that it is all across the spectrum. Personally, I have a 30A circuit as spec'd for my jointer/planer. Also have 3 phase equipment - rotary phase converter with shaper and power feeder. Lathe runs on a15a 220v. Some of the compressors I've been looking at are higher than 30a 220v because of startup amperage requirements. I bet if you surveyed there'd be a fair bit of variability given the broad needs and wants of the NCWW crowd. I wouldn't go crazy outfitting a shop with 220 outlets without knowing your immediate needs. Add them as you need at the right location, right wire, right plug configuration, and right breaker.

8. The following user says Thank You to redknife for this useful post:

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think I'm going to hedge my bets slightly and start with 20A circuits but use 10AWG wire.
    That way I can easily upgrade them to 30A circuits in the future simply by changing the breakers and outlets.

Everything I've read concerning the code suggests this is perfectly acceptable and compliant.

Forum Leader Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    George (43)
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I think I'm going to hedge my bets slightly and start with 20A circuits but use 10AWG wire.
    That way I can easily upgrade them to 30A circuits in the future simply by changing the breakers and outlets.

Everything I've read concerning the code suggests this is perfectly acceptable and compliant.

Yep, that will work. I did the same thing for my dust collector and table saw circuits because I hadn't decided which I was going with yet and wanted the flexibility for future growth.

11. The following user says Thank You to LB75 for this useful post:

Board of Directors
    Development Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeremy (36)
    Visit Freq
    6.77 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I wish I had thought about that. I would have done that for a few circuits. Oh well.

Staff Advisor
    User
    Nickname
    Rob (74)
    Visit Freq
    6.92 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I have two tools that require 30A breakers on dedicated circuits: my 5 HP ClearVue Cyclone and a 26" Woodmaster Drum Sander with its 5 HP motor.
    Every day brings a new adventure -- it is great to be retired!

User
    Nickname
    DrBob
    Visit Freq
    2.19 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

My compressor is 5hp with 21A FLA.

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Unfortunately the builder won't put a sub panel in - they just weren't interested as it's not something they typically do.

So I opted for 2 x 240V 20A and 2 x 120V 20A, with 10 AWG wire, so I can upgrade to 30A if I need to later.

I shouldn't need to run more than two 120V or two 240V tools at once so hopefully I won't regret it later on (famous last words).

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

It is my understanding that only one 220v outlet can be on a circuit per code but you could do it if you can limit the amperage of the machines and hardware or up the breaker amperage and wire size. It is usually the amperage that restricts how many outlets you have on a circuit versus voltage.

Nickname
    Paul
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Yes, they're all separate circuits with their own breakers.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    4.23 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I also took my 100 amp service directly from the inlet to the main thus no effect on the main power to house.