Nickname
    Jeff
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Re: Started rearranging the shop.

Looks good Frank. Clean and bright.

I noticed your saw horses too! Similar to the ones that Paul Brogan made recently in his "Starting from scratch" thread. This work shop stuff can be pandemic.

Just knocked up a quick sawhorse from an old pallet.

This is my version of the folding sawhorse - note the top stretcher which prevents it opening too wide.

Just open it up and use it without having to fiddle with a strap/piece of string/bar at the bottom.

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Looks good Frank. Clean and bright.

I noticed your saw horses too! Similar to the ones that Paul Brogan made recently in his "Starting from scratch" thread. This work shop stuff can be pandemic.

Just knocked up a quick sawhorse from an old pallet.

This is my version of the folding sawhorse - note the top stretcher which prevents it opening too wide.

Just open it up and use it without having to fiddle with a strap/piece of string/bar at the bottom.

I like the horses Jeff. They were easy to build, and allow me to use a 2x4, 2x6 or even a 2x8 for the top if I need the height. I built the two sets. One set is shorter then the other. It was really not by design. I started building the first set and found I had made a mistake with the angles at the bottom and recut causing the lower horses. After getting more wood, I built the second set at the normal height. I thought about making another set the same as the higher ones, but found that I have use for the two heights with my wife being shorter and she can use the first set. It all works out!
    Always be true to yourself as well as to others. N4RME HAM!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Took a trip out to HD looking for upper cabinets in the scratch and dent area. Nothing today, so I keep looking. The cabinets I find so far as too large for my use. Still looking for the ones that usually fit over the microwave units and sometimes over the frig units. They are shorter then normal. That is all I really want as far as size goes. It will still allow me to have a top open shelf above the cabinets and be able to reach them with my small 2 foot ladder.

Senior User
    DQ

Nickname
    HenryW
    Visit Freq
    6.85 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

I don't know your area, but a Habitat ReStore might be a good source for any one-off cabinets for your workshop.

Henry

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

We have a store in Danville Va where I do my shopping but they charge about $2 less then the store does for new materials. I have even seen some prices actually higher then at Lowe's. When I asked the guy about that he gave me a dirty look and said you should go to Lowe's then.

Board of Directors
    President
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Mike
    Visit Freq
    7.00 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Lots of great progress on the shop, looking forward to some great projects coming out of there.

One machine can do the work of 50 ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man." -Elbert Hubbard

WWFD

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Lots of great progress on the shop, looking forward to some great projects coming out of there.
    I don't know Mike. Like said before, I do mostly just projects for the wife like her arbors, little bridges, benches and such. A fine woodworker like you guys I am not. I do try though, and take pride in what I do build.

I would like to say thank you to everyone that replied and has been giving me encouragement to do this project. It does mean a lot to me!

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Another day getting it all together. Still a work in progress but it's getting there. Got the face trim on and painted two coats. Shelves painted two coats. Got the formica glued in place where it was missing from me cutting the counter tops. Worked on my 2 35 gallon drums for oily rags and trash can. Cleaned out the grease and primed the cans. Today I added two coats of poly to the cans and ground off the edges of the lids smooth. Now I need to make my doors and roll out drawers.

IMG_2339.jpg IMG_2341.jpg

9. The following 4 users say Thank You to Frank Berry :

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Woody
    Visit Freq
    6.96 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Wow, that looks great!
    Measure twice... cut once... SCREAM LOUDLY... get another board

11. The following user says Thank You to Jim M. for this useful post:

Senior User
    DQ
    Nickname
    Chris
    Visit Freq
    6.88 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

That's really coming out nice.

13. The following user says Thank You to redknife for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Still working in the shop. Progress is a little slow due to the wife wanting things done around the house. Just had to shop for a new washer and dryer that will be delivered Wednesday so I had to spend half a day scraping out the two older units. Got all the plastic in trash and the metal sitting in my trailer waiting for me to get to the scrap yard. Back to the shop work! I got the lower boxes built and primed and first coat of paint on them. I had a couple long strips left over after trimming the counters down to 22" and that left me with two pieces 7.5 feet by about 8" wide each so I put them to use as a full length shelf above the counters. I added a trim strip to the edge to keep things from falling off the shelf. Right now everything is still a mess because as I build something, I have to use that to put stuff so I can keep moving around the shop.
    Once the boxes are done and wheels on, I need to get the doors cut and installed on the lower cabinets.
    I am looking to get some upper cabinets that would normally be installed over the frig and microwave or kitchen sink. They are smaller then normal, and I want to mount them above the shelf I just installed above the counter. I had already put out a post asking if anyone has the measurements of these cabinets and right after I hit the button to submit I had a V-8 moment and realized I have the same cabinets above my frig and sink area. DAH. I think this project is getting to me. Here are a couple more shots and please try to look past the jumble and mess of it all. I will take a final pic when done and things are in place.
    IMG_2352.jpg IMG_2353.jpgIMG_2354.jpg

15. The following user says Thank You to Frank Berry for this useful post:

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Another day closer, but still got a ways to go. At least I can now see the floor and find the table saw when I need it. Got the drawers done except for handles. Made a couple handles out of a 2x4 and a wooden broom stick and mounted on a couple of 35 gallon gear grease cans that I cleaned out and painted. Cut the lids down and filed and sanded the edges smooth for safety. I still need to put up a couple LED 4 foot tubes over the counter area for better lighting. Doors for the cabinets are next. Very simple plywood doors, nothing fancy.
    IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2358.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Board of Directors
    Events Director
    Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Roberta
    Visit Freq
    6.35 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Now that is fancy!
    Berta

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

You're never too old for a little class in the shop. lol

Corporate Member
    DQ
    Nickname
    Frank (66)
    Visit Freq
    0.38 visits/week
    Threads
    Classifieds

Here is the final update on my rebuild. Finally got the drawers and doors done and added a second shelf above the counter. Also added a cover to hide the 4' power strip and wires on the counter. The only thing I have left now to do is build a new work bench and change over my fluorescent lights to LED and add a couple single tube lights over the new counter for the machines. I appreciate everyone's help and advise and especially a big thanks to Phil S. for his generosity giving me the large conference table that was scraped out and I repurposed. Also for the wheels I mounted on the lower drawers under the counter. That table supplied me not only with the 15' counter, it gave me the two shelves above it, the drawer fronts and a few other things that can't be seen in the photos. Everything I used was reclaimed except for one and a half sheets of plywood.
    I also want to thank all those who showed support during my build with the words of encouragement. You are truly a great group of people, and I am proud to be part of it!
    IMG_2365.jpg IMG_2366.jpg IMG_2367.jpg IMG_2368.jpg IMG_2369.jpg IMG_2370.jpg IMG_2371.jpg

20. The following 2 users say Thank You to Frank Berry :