Young woodworker essay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
One of our members has a nice tool chest including wood working hand tools to give to a younger, motivated woodworker. Would like to find someone between 18 and 30 years old with desire to learn and ability to carry through.

If you are that person or know that person we want to hear from you. Please write a one to two page essay describing your work history, education, experience, and why you want to work with wood using hand tools.

From the results a small private team will select a couple of applicants to interview and the winner will be notified.

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
I would be happy to post this on our website and/or Facebook page if you all would like.

Cheryl

One of our members has a nice tool chest including wood working hand tools to give to a younger, motivated woodworker. Would like to find someone between 18 and 30 years old with desire to learn and ability to carry through.

If you are that person or know that person we want to hear from you. Please write a one to two page essay describing your work history, education, experience, and why you want to work with wood using hand tools.

From the results a small private team will select a couple of applicants to interview and the winner will be notified.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really need to get going on shipping the Diston saw and a Bedrock 605 to Richard for this - assuming that is what we're talking about here. The saw is a little long for the USPS shipping container so I'm working on a shipping solution. I can get the dovetail saw and the somewhat damaged, but still usable plane in the mail shortly.

The Dovetail saw is a Jackson, which I understand is either made by or purchased by Diston. The Bedrock has a chip in the side that makes it a terrible collector but a very usable plane. I'd value at over $100 despite the damage.

I'm donating all 3 of these to the collection.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
There is a box of tools that need to be gone through, then there will be a list.

But it seems we do this every few years, so if you have any tools you would like to donate, we can make arrangements.

jfrerichs

New User
Josh
Hello Mike,

I am new to this site and have been discovering a growing interest and passion for woodworking. I would like to enter an essay for consideration. Where do I share/send this essay for review?

Thanks!

Josh

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Hello everyone, I'm Richard, for those who don't know me. I started this tool chest at the Klingspor Exstraviganza and I have been playing around with it the rest of the time. It's just about finished. Several good members here have donated hand tools and very soon this will be a good starter kit for a budding hand tool woodworker.
So as Mike posted earlier we would like to have participants submit an one to two page essay explaining their desire take up hand tool as well as woodworking experience, education, and work history. With an age limit of 18 to 30 for participants.
Please submit your essay via email as an attachment in a PDF document. The email address for your submissions woodworker_essay@triad.rr.com please include in your essay your name, address, and an evening phone number and your email address. The submission deadline is March 30, 2018, interviews will take place sometime after that with the winner being announced on April 20, 2018,
we look forward to hearing you and wish everyone the best of luck.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I think the efforts of all y'all is very commendable. I'd like to submit an essay for the tool box as I won't turn 75 for quite a few months yet, but at the same time, I will refrain from doing the same, for the simple reason I don't have any room left in the shop for another tool. So now that I've opened the door for you other young folks to win the tool chest and tool collection, get busy and write about your woodworking passions! And as far as being a young, budding woodworker, it's up to you to decide if you fit within the parameters.:gar-Bi

Jak3

New User
Jacob
My name is Jacob and I am 17 years old. I recently started getting into hand tool woodworking and restoring all manner of old tools. I eventually made a workbench with a vise to allow myself to work at home instead of at school. I recently posted pictures of my bench, a box I made, and a mallet I made, in a thread called "What was your first WW'ing project?"

I had been collecting tools about two years before I had my own shop and work bench. I worked on restoring all of my hand planes, my braces, my bits, any and all tools I would need. I read about and watched YouTube videos about sharpening/restoring and bought my own sharpening stones and did it all myself. I just recently finished my workbench, so my hobby and my ability to work with hand tools has only just started. I do not find myself in any need of tools (except for a stanley no 71 and stanley no 80, those are illusive and no matter what antique store I scour I can't find them!), but rather I find that I lack training. I did read a book on hand tool woodworking by Paul Sellers, and practiced a little, but other than that I have little experience with hand tools. I did take three courses of woodworking at school(but there we use loud machines).

I found myself looking to hand tools because I have a deep respect for handmade things and old world things. (This carries over to my antique pocket knife collection too!), and because of my young age I thought it easier and simpler and cheaper to begin in hand tools at home rather than buying a whole bunch of machines that we don't even have space for.

Anyway that's enough rambling I look forward to submitting an essay however I do not wish to take the tools from someone who has none at all, I am in no need of tools themselves but rather more training and practice with them.
Thank you

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My name is Jacob and I am 17 years old. I recently started getting into hand tool woodworking and restoring all manner of old tools. I eventually made a workbench with a vise to allow myself to work at home instead of at school. I recently posted pictures of my bench, a box I made, and a mallet I made, in a thread called "What was your first WW'ing project?"

I had been collecting tools about two years before I had my own shop and work bench. I worked on restoring all of my hand planes, my braces, my bits, any and all tools I would need. I read about and watched YouTube videos about sharpening/restoring and bought my own sharpening stones and did it all myself. I just recently finished my workbench, so my hobby and my ability to work with hand tools has only just started. I do not find myself in any need of tools (except for a stanley no 71 and stanley no 80, those are illusive and no matter what antique store I scour I can't find them!), but rather I find that I lack training. I did read a book on hand tool woodworking by Paul Sellers, and practiced a little, but other than that I have little experience with hand tools. I did take three courses of woodworking at school(but there we use loud machines).

I found myself looking to hand tools because I have a deep respect for handmade things and old world things. (This carries over to my antique pocket knife collection too!), and because of my young age I thought it easier and simpler and cheaper to begin in hand tools at home rather than buying a whole bunch of machines that we don't even have space for.

Anyway that's enough rambling I look forward to submitting an essay however I do not wish to take the tools from someone who has none at all, I am in no need of tools themselves but rather more training and practice with them.
Thank you

Jacob,
Keep watching the site for workshops that are offered.
You will get a LOT out of them.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jacob, we look forward to reading your essay, please as Hank stated keep an eye out for workshops and classes. They are a great way of learning and networking in this community.
Cheryl Lewis, and Colman it would be a great help and honor if you wanted to put out the word on this, and please forgive me if I'm asking too much, I truly understand if the answer is no.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's just two weeks until the deadline for woodworker essays to be emailed in.

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
Is this contest still open? I sent a submission but have not heard from anyone after the initial email acknowledging the receipt of my submission. Will the winner or candidates be announced on this or another thread?

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this contest still open? I sent a submission but have not heard from anyone after the initial email acknowledging the receipt of my submission. Will the winner or candidates be announced on this or another thread?
I have to apologize for the delay on contacting you guys. I have been dealing with a family distraction the past few days and I'm a little behind.
I have to say that putting this together was a very interesting experience, and in the long run I hope at the very least that this inspires someone to become a maker and to understand that there is more than one way make and be a woodworker.
ive put a lot of thought into this over the past couple of weeks and I have to say the the two participants are both deserving.
I also would like to thank everyone who donated tools and gave encouragement to this project.
i would like to congratulate Ward Green on presenting the winning essay.
attachment.php
attachment.php
There are a few finishing touches to be done on it but over all it's almost ready to go. I'll call Ward tomorrow afternoon and discuss the details of getting the prize to the winner..

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    684.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    587.4 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
That tool box looks awesome! Thank a lot! I saw some of the other pictures you posted on the other thread. So I cannot wait to see it in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS