Yet another dumbbell screw Moxon vise

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
The HDPE anti-friction washers started life as a $5 cutting board at Home Goods. First step was to plane off the texture.

Chuck up a chunk of scrap and turn a 1-1/2" dia. tenon. BTW, this is the chuck that I won in the raffle.

image.jpeg

Bore a 1" clearance hole say 3/4" deep.

image.jpeg

Bore a 1" hole in some of the HDPE, rough cut it oversized, and pinch it with a live center.

image.jpeg

A spindle gouge works nicely to bring it to final diameter. Take light cuts since you only have a friction drive.

image.jpeg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Twist drills and round surfaces do not play well together. To drill the 5/16" holes in the screws, I start the hole with a center drill and then switch to a regular twist drill.

View attachment 186408

I have always called these center drills but industrial supplies call them countersinks. I keep a couple on my lathe's tail stock.View attachment 186407
That is a GREAT tip right there - I have been able to drill into things a "regular" drill bit couldn't start(even starting small with the intention to increase in size to get to the right hole)
Use a center drill, go deep enough to get a little chamfer and viola! no skating problems and the next drill works fine - I keep one near the mill-drill and have one in my index set as well!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS