X Carve Questions

allend336

New User
Dalton
Hello all,

I’ve been hunting for a CNC Machine for months now and recently came across an ad for the X Carve by Inventables. I’ve spent the last week watching videos on YouTube gathering information on the pros and cons of the machine and seeing projects that people have created using it.

I’m posting here to see if anyone has or knows someone who has this machine in the Winston-Salem/Greensboro area. I would simply like to speak with someone in person and perhaps watch the machine operate to get a better understanding of its functions before purchasing.

Thanks,
Dalton

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I asked the same question a couple of years ago, and at the time the machine was so new that no one apparently had one locally. I tossed back and forth on buying one, and ended up building my own for about the same price, but was much...much larger. The build was as much fun as learning to use the machine once made, and uses the same CAD/CAM software that you can use with the x-carve. The forums that I have seen since I've been using a CNC lead me to believe that the x-carve is a decent machine, but very limited in areas that one would not think about until actually using it. If you're thinking hobby now, you'll end up doing a lot more later and the machine will be limited too much, you're likely to outgrow it quickly. I found that what I do now cannot be done on an x-carve, yet I'm not at my current machines full potential, and only two years into using it. Hopefully there are some out here that have one by now so you can get hands on it, which is truly the best way to find out if you're going to like it.

allend336

New User
Dalton
Phillip,

Thank you for your insight. If you don’t mind, I would enjoy seeing the machine you’ve built and the kind of work you do with it.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I would be wiling to give you a first hand look at it in person if you'd like, would be better than pictures. You're about an hour and a half away from me, (I'm in Maiden on Hwy 16) but might be worth the drive sometime to spend a little while looking at the machine, how it runs, running a small project of some sort, and software used. There was a pretty good learning curve for me on software, but it is well supported on Youtube as well as the manufacturer site. If you have a day I'm open to do a demo.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS