X-Carve by Inventables

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I'm looking at CNC routers...and being very new to this area of work I really don't know what I'm looking at when I look at them. I've found the X-Carve by Inventables that has a pretty nice machine for about an ok price for what you get and/or configure. I have questions that I would like to pose to those that have such a machine in use.

First, is there anyone on here that has any of the three sizes they offer of this X-Carve machine in use? This thing may be too new to be out just yet...

Second, Do you have an opinion on a comparable unit for about the same money? The one I'm looking at which is the mid sized one would run about $2000.00 with software. The footprint on the one I'm looking at would be about 35 or so inches square.

Third, does anyone have the machine from Woodcraft "CNC Piranha FX", and do you like it? This is the other machine I've considered, and only because it allows (according to the web) for an 'A' axis to work on round material. The thing I don't like about this machine is the table size is small, maybe smaller than the items I'd want to work with, which usually runs up to the 15" x 20" size range.

I'm open to the good, the bad and the ugly on this... Thanks!!!

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
I don't own either of those, but I do own a ShopBot CNC 4x8 Machine.

I spent about 2 years looking around, found a great deal on a used machine and bit the bullet.

You do get what you pay for. I would say that these products are kinda like the Harbor Freight of the tool world. They will do the job, you may cuss them occasionally, and they may not last as long, and be as precise.
Talking to some people who have gone the low price CNC route, some bought kits, some bought similar machines to these, some of the complaints are rigidity of the rails, they can see them flex as the machine moves around, and the lack of power the routers have. My machine uses a 3.5HP Porter Cable router, the X-Carve uses a 1.5HP DeWalt. That will limit you in what you can cut and the speeds you can cut at.

Rick M

New User
Rick
From what I've seen a lot of people end up rebuilding those cheap CNC machines to eliminate the flex so I'm not sure they are really worth it.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
From a long time user and owner of several CNC's wait until you can afford more and/or purchased a good used machine....(one of our current machines when we purchased 10 years ago was $110,000 probably buy same machine for $65,000 new so they are coming down....... we just purchased a CNC 4th Axis lathe for doing full size bed post for much less than this.) Suggestions for places to look for machines if you haven't found these web-sites you might start here...... http://www.cnczone.com/forums/ http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/exchanges/machinery.cgi

Software is extremely important.... get something that works and has a large user group ..... one suggestion is Vectric Software...... lot of power at a fair price and a large user group..... several different price points. We have Aspire and Cut 3D by these folks and do use it but we also have and use a number of other Cam software that we find works better for us but again price tag goes up tremendously (we use RhinoCam on a Day to Day Basis).

Couple of our First CNC's
IMG_0008-1.jpgkwkodak with rock 056.jpg

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Well, the replies so far are very informative. I have a lot to learn, and I think I have just had my first sticker shock. :)

The kind of work I do now will not support buying a high end machine, I'd have to be in production work to need that kind of power, but I agree that is likely the best for the job, any job that I could think of to work with.

To add a bit more to the mix. right now about all I want to do is some engraving on flat work, not really thinking of cutting out parts, although after reading more in other places that is a natural place to go toward. I imagine the light machines have a very big limitation for what they should be doing, I'd like to try one out somewhere or see a demo of someone doing the kind of things I want to do, and see if there's any point in pursuing this idea at all for now. My shop can't support much more than the small machines I had been looking at...the larger ones, even used, are far outside my ability to finance and have a business case to pay for. :mad: But after all, that's why I asked the question.... Now if I just had a rich Uncle around somewhere...

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
I spent a lot of time reading, reasearching and visiting folks that have CNC machines. I thought I was just going to do small stuff, like your vision. Then I started seeing everything else I could do with a CNC. I was shopping for a 2'x3' machine but wanted something stout to handle the occasional tasks that would require it. The machines that you are looking at, simply couldn't do it. You can find a lot of lightly used stout machines for a great price that will leave you with a lot more options. Look at the smaller shopbots or Camasters. I ended up with a 4x4 machine and then after several months realized what I could do with a larger machine and then brought a second 5x10 machine online. Although this may be more than what you are looking for, my point is it might be worth waiting, saving a few dollars and shopping for a used 2x3 machine with much stronger and reliable parts. Vectric Vcarve pro would do you very well and a lot of the machines come with it. The most common phrase I was told when shopping was buy your second machine first, even if that means waiting.

Attachments

• IMG_0855.JPG
    IMG_0855.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    641.4 KB · Views: 144

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Wasn't trying to scare you away but get you to see that......... pay little ...... get little........(The Software is really as important as the machine so don't cheat here and think you can just get by..... We have Artcam, Enroute, Aspire, Rhinocam, Sprutcam, VisualMill so we went through and expensive learning curve but I can't stress the importance of good Cam software)

Your budget should probably be $5,000 and above.... the Shopbot I showed in the picture was a Buddy....... gave $5000 for it used.....(original owner just didn't have the fortitude for learning the computer software side).... the machine was virtually new..... used machine for making guitar fret boards for 4 years and then sold this machine about 4 years ago for what we gave ....... so my point is that there are some fairly nice machines available .... you just need to raise your dreams a little and shop....... most of the cheaper CNC machines are Chinese not saying they are bad but ...... buyer be ware do your home work. When a deal is to good to be true I usually run the other way.

If all your wanting to do is engrave consider a laser..... we have several of these as well..... software like Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator are what you might use if your going this route.....If your thinking about making any money with a machine the laser might be more profitable......the forum on Sawmill Creek for lasers is a good place to start......http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum ........ you might check out the Chinese Laser Reviews... lot of guys have done a lot of homework and have a great deal to say......

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Well, the replies so far are very informative. I have a lot to learn, and I think I have just had my first sticker shock. :)

The kind of work I do now will not support buying a high end machine, I'd have to be in production work to need that kind of power, but I agree that is likely the best for the job, any job that I could think of to work with.

For home hobbyist use, I'd strongly recommend the ShopBot (that's the blue machine in Kevin's picture). They have a great user support base (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/) where you can find used systems, or post that you are looking for one. Realistically you're looking at $4000 for a used the desktop model (24x18) and up, you can pickup a full size 4x8 for $8000 to $10,000 on a regular basis. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more, pricing does ebb and flow. They tend to hold their value pretty well. It does sound like the desktop or desktop Max (24x36) is the best fit for you, the Max is brand new so doubt you'd find a used one yet.

Dropping $2000 on one of the lesser machines, good chance you'll be disappointed and want to invest in a different machine, and hard to recoup the original $2000 you paid.

And one thing I learned w/ mine is that it's pretty easy to make a buck off them doing thing's you hadn't planned. I've made some wall hangings that I'd never done before, and have recouped a portion of my machine cost without even trying.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
Wasn't trying to scare you away but get you to see that......... pay little ...... get little........(The Software is really as important as the machine so don't cheat here and think you can just get by..... We have Artcam, Enroute, Aspire, Rhinocam, Sprutcam, VisualMill so we went through and expensive learning curve but I can't stress the importance of good Cam software)

Your budget should probably be $5,000 and above.... the Shopbot I showed in the picture was a Buddy....... gave $5000 for it used.....(original owner just didn't have the fortitude for learning the computer software side).... the machine was virtually new..... used machine for making guitar fret boards for 4 years and then sold this machine about 4 years ago for what we gave ....... so my point is that there are some fairly nice machines available .... you just need to raise your dreams a little and shop....... most of the cheaper CNC machines are Chinese not saying they are bad but ...... buyer be ware do your home work. When a deal is to good to be true I usually run the other way.

If all your wanting to do is engrave consider a laser..... we have several of these as well..... software like Coreldraw and Adobe Illustrator are what you might use if your going this route.....If your thinking about making any money with a machine the laser might be more profitable......the forum on Sawmill Creek for lasers is a good place to start......http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum ........ you might check out the Chinese Laser Reviews... lot of guys have done a lot of homework and have a great deal to say......

Scaring me is what I asked for if needed...and from what I've gathered here and on other forums that I've found...there is a general thought that you do get what you pay for, and I've nearly always known that you buy more machine than you think you'll need...'cause you'll see how to do more once you have it. I've found that to be true with other tools I've bought. The thing is, my shop may not be ready for one of the high end ones yet, but someday...and if it takes two or three years to research and find the right one...well that's what it takes. I'm in no hurry, and all suggestions and observations are being considered as they should be. I've opened a can of worms it seems, there's way more to know than I imagined...and I figured there would be...but seems I underestimated a lot. :)

One thing is for certain, I've got to get out and see some in person being used...and I've got a lot more research to do. The laser idea crossed my mind early in this, and I quickly went from there to CNC router...maybe I should back down to the laser first and use that for what I need now, and work toward the other as time and money permit.

kevin waldron

New User
Kevin
Here are some laser examples of engraving and some extra things...... not sure what kind of engraving your wanting to do..... some on wood, some on Corian, Some on tile, glass, and other

cms 301 A Christmas Candle.jpg
.10 Commandments.JPGAmazing Grace.jpgCabinet Door Pheasant.jpgConfederat Flag Battle.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0550.jpgCW2581.jpgIMG_0300.jpgSpider Family.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS