WTB: Vertical Belt Sander

BKHam

Bradley
User
I am having trouble finding a decent deal on a vertical belt sander that has a nice cast iron table. i don't care if it can go horizontal or not. it can be a combo machine with a disc sander. something like the jet in the picture.

Attachments

• 717SMQK6HWL.gif
    717SMQK6HWL.gif
    165.2 KB · Views: 230

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Most of the models like you show can work either vertical or horizontal. Do you need the 6x48 belt, or would the 4x36 work for your needs. That can make a difference in price. If you're trying to keep the cost down, you might also consider buying just the machine without the stand, and build your own. Here are some choices from Grizzly.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Bradley
I see 6x48" belt sanders on CL with some regularity (not weekly, but maybe once every month or two. Most are in the $75-150 asking price range. I consider any usable machine like this under $100 well worth it. Many are off-brand, but these are incredibly simply machines. I personally have a Dayton branded tool, purchased by a former employer through Grainger I expect. Mine is a combo disc/belt sander, belt driven with the motor mounted in the open frame below the sander. I have seen pictures of several machines or varying brands (on CL) that appear identical. I have used mine extensively and am extremely happy with it - except dust collection on the belt is lousy. There are threads here on NCWW from years ago describing others' approach to dust collection on these machines.
I am uncertain what you mean in terms of a 'nice cast iron table'; mine has a cast iron table, and although it is decently sized and very usable, I would never think of describing it as nice. It is not flimsy, nor is it acres of area, but it works for what I have used it for and needed it for (actually the least used feature for me). This design has the same table that switches between the belt and disc operation. Mine does allow the belt sander to pivot between vertical and horizontal modes, but does not lock in to the vertical mode (EDIT - correction, I expect it could be locked into vertical mode by tightening a bolt that rides in a arc around the pivot point; I did not test whether this would lock it). As an occasional wood turner, I have even used my disc sander to sharpen my turning tools (Ellsworth inspired jig for bowl gouge, rest are freehand).

Hope that helps - Craigslist, FB marketplace, OfferUp, and likely dozen more apps are all fertile ground for finding this seldom discussed workshop gem.

EDIT - Here's a relatively local CL ad, posted 3 days ago, that I bet would work for you. Cast iron table looked larger than mine, so looks nice to me. Can't verify that it would pivot to vertical, but I would surprised if it did not. Bones of this look identical to my conbo sander. Not a pretty sight with a shop made stand, but very functional I would bet. I avoid Craftsmen tools, but if my sander died today I think this $50 purchase might be my first look.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/raleigh-vintage-craftsman-belt-sander/6871476640.html

Last edited:

BKHam

Bradley
User
A new one is about $300-500. Would you call that a decent deal?

most of the ones i see....jet, grizzly, etc.....not super premium brands but decent. to get the nice table in a 6 inch wide belt, are at times over $1000. i'm looking to buy one for the long term. what models are you looking at?
pricing.PNG

BKHam

Bradley
User
Most of the models like you show can work either vertical or horizontal. Do you need the 6x48 belt, or would the 4x36 work for your needs. That can make a difference in price. If you're trying to keep the cost down, you might also consider buying just the machine without the stand, and build your own. Here are some choices from Grizzly.

looking for 6 inch. there are some on there cheaper but the fence for the belt sander looks flimsy and its for sure small. on the disc side it looks okay.
grizzly.PNG

however they do have a model i like, but its $800
grizz 2.PNG

BKHam

Bradley
User
Bradley
I see 6x48" belt sanders on CL with some regularity (not weekly, but maybe once every month or two. Most are in the $75-150 asking price range. I consider any usable machine like this under $100 well worth it. Many are off-brand, but these are incredibly simply machines. I personally have a Dayton branded tool, purchased by a former employer through Grainger I expect. Mine is a combo disc/belt sander, belt driven with the motor mounted in the open frame below the sander. I have seen pictures of several machines or varying brands (on CL) that appear identical. I have used mine extensively and am extremely happy with it - except dust collection on the belt is lousy. There are threads here on NCWW from years ago describing others' approach to dust collection on these machines.
I am uncertain what you mean in terms of a 'nice cast iron table'; mine has a cast iron table, and although it is decently sized and very usable, I would never think of describing it as nice. It is not flimsy, nor is it acres of area, but it works for what I have used it for and needed it for (actually the least used feature for me). This design has the same table that switches between the belt and disc operation. Mine does allow the belt sander to pivot between vertical and horizontal modes, but does not lock in to the vertical mode. As an occasional wood turner, I have even used my disc sander to sharpen my turning tools (Ellsworth inspired jig for bowl gouge, rest are freehand).

Hope that helps - Craigslist, FB marketplace, OfferUp, and likely dozen more apps are all fertile ground for finding this seldom discussed workshop gem.

EDIT - Here's a relatively local CL ad, posted 3 days ago, that I bet would work for you. Cast iron table looked larger than mine, so looks nice to me. Can't verify that it would pivot to vertical, but I would surprised if it did not. Bones of this look identical to my conbo sander. Not a pretty sight with a shop made stand, but very functional I would bet. I avoid Craftsmen tools, but if my sander died today I think this $50 purchase might be my first look.
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/d/raleigh-vintage-craftsman-belt-sander/6871476640.html

i'm on CL all the time, the others not as much.

i saw that craftsman but the belt side table looks iffy.
Capture.PNG

BKHam

Bradley
User
appreciate everyone's input. i guess the summary would be i'm hoping to find a model that was $800-$1000 that has been used and might be in the 50% of new price.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have the same sander, ( a little older, bought new in 1970). I haven't seen anything I would like better, even in the $1000+ range. I even picked up a used one for spare parts. The belt section doesn't have a table, have never seen a reason for one. Your arrow is pointing to a stop, which I never use. In almost 50 years of ownership I have yet to raise the table into a horizontal position.
If you are looking for a good, reasonably priced sander, that is a good one. The stand not so much, Lol.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly 1014ZX, with the cabinet base. Made a couple of modifications.
This is it 'out of the box'.
20190401_144410.jpg

I replaced the stop with a wood fence to get more use of the belt and to increase the DC port from 2" to 2-1/2"
20190403_145400.jpg

20190403_145410.jpg

Plus a removable taller fence.
20190403_145504.jpg

20190403_145519.jpg

This fence gives me an extra 4-3/4" of belt to work with, or 4" with the tall fence attached. I can still use the OEM fence/workstop if needed.
20190403_145702.jpg

For the 9" disc I got a PSA Hook&Loop pad to make it possible to swap out discs as needed without destroying the disc during removal.
20190127_132920.jpg

Pretty good dust collection with two 2-1/2" dust ports connected to my Oneida DC.
20190127_135206.jpg

20190127_135218.jpg

BKHam

Bradley
User
I have the Grizzly 1014ZX, with the cabinet base. Made a couple of modifications.
This is it 'out of the box'.
View attachment 185244
I replaced the stop with a wood fence to get more use of the belt and to increase the DC port from 2" to 2-1/2"
View attachment 185245

View attachment 185246

Plus a removable taller fence.View attachment 185247

View attachment 185248

This fence gives me an extra 4-3/4" of belt to work with, or 4" with the tall fence attached. I can still use the OEM fence/workstop if needed.
View attachment 185249

For the 9" disc I got a PSA Hook&Loop pad to make it possible to swap out discs as needed without destroying the disc during removal.
View attachment 185250

Pretty good dust collection with two 2-1/2" dust ports connected to my Oneida DC.
View attachment 185251

View attachment 185252
cool modifications and if i already had something, i might do something similar.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have the same sander, ....The belt section doesn't have a table, .... Your arrow is pointing to a stop, which I never use...

Agreed the arrow points to a stop, but I expect that the table could mount there for a vertical belt.

I am almost certain that this CL ad item is 'identical' to my Dayton branded sander - maybe the motors are different, and I certainly have a different stand, but I would bet that the castings are the same and that they were made in the same factory. Mine is late 80's or early 90's vintage. The Cast iron table is mounted on a rod, and if you look Charlie, you will find (I expect) that the belt sander portion has a mounting hole for that same table (i.e. you could use the table for the belt sander in vertical position).

I took a pic of mine in that setup. It is not a mode that I use regularly, but I believe I have done so at one point.

So Bradley if you want a $1000 machine, more power to you. I would bet you (about $50) that this one would do what you want it to, and do it well (aside from dust collection).

Last edited:

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
Henry, You are correct. The table can be relocated. Since I have never done it in 49 years, it slipped my mind. Lol.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Agreed the arrow points to a stop, but I expect that the table could mount there for a vertical belt.

I am almost certain that this CL ad item is 'identical' to my Dayton branded sander - maybe the motors are different, and I certainly have a different stand, but I would bet that the castings are the same and that they were made in the same factory. Mine is late 80's or early 90's vintage. The Cast iron table is mounted on a rod, and if you look Charlie, you will find (I expect) that the belt sander portion has a mounting hole for that same table (i.e. you could could use the table for the belt sander in vertical position.

I took a pic of mine in that setup. It is not a mode that I use regularly, but I believe I have done so at one point.

View attachment 185258

So Bradley if you want a $1000 machine, more power to you. I would bet you (about $50) that this one would do what you want it to, and do it well (aside from dust collection).

that machine in that setup seems closer to what i'm wanting. just to be clear....i want a $1000 machine for a lot less than a $1000 and thus i'm posting to see if anyone out there is desperate to part with theirs.

Henry.....does the motor hang below on yours?

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry.....does the motor hang below on yours?
Yes, motor is hung in frame/stand, and belt driven in my tool.

EDIT - (to an earlier comment of mine) - Although I did not try to tighten it down, there is a bolt that looks like it could be used to lock the belt sander in the vertical position. This bolt runs in a slot that is an arc with a center point that is the pivot point - if that makes any sense. Tightening it down ought to fix the position.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
If you really want cheap. The Shopsmith 6 X 48 in. is a good machine. You can find one for $30 to $60 bucks. A used motor can be found. I am using this set up and it works very well.

Pop

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS