WTB: planer (and maybe jointer)

stevenross

steven
User
Slowly transitioning to more wood working less carpentry/auto mechanics/other hobbies. Immediate project needs planer and maybe jointer. Willing to spend some money but not sure how much I will use over time so needs to be reasonable or I will get an earful - plus as I am 60+ and never owned them .........any advice on brands/models or someone having something not needed are welcome. TIA

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Steven
I do not own a jointer, but do have a planer. Big topic, here are a few broad stroke comments, as I see it.

New ones? I see you are in Rutherfordton, but I don't know where that is. Find a Klingspor's Woodworking Shop (there are 4, Cary, Hickory, Asheville, and one more that I forget). There are other shops that sell ww tools, but generally stay away from Lowe;s and HD.

Used tools? Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, and the dozen or so phone apps (OfferUp for example) all offer 'tools' sections or the opportunity to search. You will often see sellers that post the same item on several sites.

I find that the used market is fertile for jointers - especially 6" ones; 8" far less so. 6" Jointers (floor model) are often sold used for $400 or less, although the used Powermatic ones are often priced substantially higher. Jet is the brand that I would look for, as they still seem to provide parts and support for their older products (compared to Delta that seems to have abandoned their installed based of products; there are aftermarket companies that sell parts for many things). Other non-big name brands may also be very serviceable, but I would stay away from Harbor Freight tools (Central Machinery) for these tools. Cheaper table model jointers (4" knives) can be had for less, and are of course less capable (but may meet your un specified needs). Many seem to prefer 8" jointers for handling rough cut timber, and many serious ww-ers upgrade to 8" from 6" tools, at a cost premium of course. These 8" typically are longer and heavier, in addition to being wider. Then adding carbide insert knives (Byrd or Shelix) adds even more cost, although makes them quieter and less prone to tear-out of difficult woods. Personally I tend to buy S2S (surfaced 2 sides) woods, not rough cut, and so I have been able to make it without a jointer. Also be aware that many people misspell jointer as joiner.

Planers also come in a variety of sizes - 12-13" portable planers are ubiquitous - lots of brands. I believe the DeWalt 735 is generally considered the cream of the crop, but that comes at a price as well. Many of these will handle a lot of projects very well. I personally am partial to my older floor model planer that will handle everything I throw at it, although it can only handle 12" width. Many larger floor model planers go to 15" width, or more, of course at a price (some need 220V electrical service). Insert cutters heads are available for these tools as well - sometimes for more than the cost of a portable planer. Brands? Delta planers seem readily available in used market, although I have no real opinion on these. DeWalt seems to have done very well in terms of sales of both their 734 and 735 planers. There are of course lots of other brands.

SAFETY - Be warned that smaller pieces are not suitable for machining with either a jointer or planer - look for suitable safety guidelines elsewhere in terms of what that actually mean in terms of size, but I would say anything shorter than 12" should not be planed (or jointed). Jointers in particular have a peculiar appetite for fingers and hands, and although it seems like you have considerable hand/power tool experience, these larger model tools are hungrier than many things you have worked with. READ and comply with safety warnings, use push pads, and get training.

Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I would be willing to part with my Ridgid planer and Delta X5 jointer if you want to come see them (I am in Charlotte). Both work quite well, bur I am planning to upgrade to larger tools with shelix cutterheads. we can work out a fair price...

stevenross

steven
User
I would be willing to part with my Ridgid planer and Delta X5 jointer if you want to come see them (I am in Charlotte). Both work quite well, bur I am planning to upgrade to larger tools with shelix cutterheads. we can work out a fair price...
I would be interested in looking. Pls send basic data so I know what you have.

Appreciate the responses

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS